Online Bookshelves

Options
I've just started trying to actively use some of the online bookshelves, with the hopes of finding some good choices for getting back into reading for pleasure. I'm a big science fiction fan, but also like some horror and fantasy; open to other genres (well, probably not any romance). I am especially interested in good collections of short stories. Please take a look at my profies, and add/friend me if you think we have similar tastes.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/8421661-greysoul

http://www.librarything.com/profile/arkaic

http://www.shelfari.com/aboynes

Replies

• G_iulia80
    G_iulia80 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @ATBnAZ
    Hi! Thank you for posting those online bookshelves. I'll take a look at them soon.
    Your interest in short stories reminds me of the ones I used to read in my childhood. The Romanian writers from the XIX and XX century are excellent at this literary genre (Barbu Stefanescu Delavrance, Victor Eftimiu, Liviu Rebreanu etc.). They usually recall about the life of the peasants in the old times. When I find out how hard it was for the ordinary man to live in that times it makes me appreciate what we have today. If it happens for you to be interested also in this kind of stuff, I would recommend you Nikolai Gogol's novels (Russian) and Emile Zola's (French).
    As for authors of horror literature, Serge Brussolo's novels scares the hell out of you. I admit I stopped reading horror novels long time ago because I couldn't sleep anymore.
    I don't know if this post was of any help for you, but I felt happy to share.
    I will also add you to be friends.
  • debjae
    debjae Posts: 242
    Options
    Have you tried Dean Koontz he writes some great horror and his Odd series is entertaining. Robert Heinlein is one of the greatest classic Sci-fi authors. Tolkein and C.S. Lewis were great friends and I love his writing. One of my all time favorite books is by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett Good Omens. Please give it a try.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Heinlein is a favorite of mine; I'll probably be re-reading several of his books. American Gods is the only thing I have read from Gaiman; the Smoke and Mirrors collections of stories is on my bookshelf, waiting for its turn. Koontz is generally good, but I didn't really care for the first book about Odd Thomas; Watchers was very good. I'll look into C.S. Lewis and Terry Pratchett.

**edit**

Just realized that Good Omens is a collaboration. I will give it a read. :)

Thanks!
  • debjae
    Options
    I think you will enjoy Good Omens. Koontz' earlier stuff is better. My favorites are suspense/crime novels not true crime dont want to know that there might be someone like Dahmer in my neighborhood.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    If you like a little grusome mystery John Sandford is great!The new one is called Stolen Prey!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    If you like a little grusome mystery John Sandford is great!The new one is called Stolen Prey!

Thanks!

I didn't realize the Prey series is still going. I read the first one long ago, and perhaps the second. It was pretty good.
  • debjae
    Options
    John Sandford is still going strong has added new character Virgil Flowers with his own series of books. His Kidd novels were first published under his real name John Camp. Along the same line are the David Baldacci books and of course Lee Child and Jack Reacher.