How soon did you run your first 'official' 5k?

Options
minisumo
minisumo Posts: 301 Member
Hi everyone,

I've just restarted C25k for what feels like the 100th time and I'm determined not to let anything get in the way of me completing it this time (the furthest I've ever got was Week 5). So I thought it would be a good idea to sign up for an official race to keep me motivated and on track. I've found one scheduled for 9th November but I will have only graduated the week before on 2nd November, and that's assuming I'm able to stick to the training schedule exactly.

How soon after graduating did you complete an official run/race? Is a week after graduation too soon or were you comfortable with the distance by that stage? I guess I'm just worried about committing to something and then failing very publicly!

I've never been a runner (or into any kind of sport actually) so any advice would be very welcome, even if it's just telling me to (wo)man up :happy:

Replies

• LooptLou25
    LooptLou25 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing the local parkrun this Saturday, a free weekly timed event for monitoring progress. It will be my first official 5k & today will be day 3 week 4, & starting week 5 on Thursday, so I'll not even have graduated. I may finish last, but am determined to complete the route.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    My first is this Thursday, which will be w7 d3. I had one scheduled when I started for w9 d3 :)
  • minisumo
    Options
    That's fantastic, and good luck to both of you - you're much braver than I am! I guess I just can't imagine being able to run for a full 30 minutes when I'm still on the 90 second intervals at the moment (and they wear me out by the end of the 20 mins!).

You've inspired me to just get on and do it. Thank you!
  • YumemiruJin
    YumemiruJin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm set to finish next Tuesday (18 September) and I have a 5k for 13 October.

I'd say from what I've read here and on other boards, that most people plan it within a month or so, but it's all about what you want to do, feel up to, or have time for etc.

Personally, I think if you can finish the program with a smile on your face, you're ready for a 5k anytime afterwards :)
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Personally, I think if you can finish the program with a smile on your face, you're ready for a 5k anytime afterwards :)

well said!
  • Tinkerbell1010
    Tinkerbell1010 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Im on week 4 and I have one scheduled for Dec 8 and I know already that I will be repeating week 4 as I am not ready to move on, I hope I havent bitten off more then I can chew !!!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I registered my first one on the saturday at the end of week 9. Just did my second one last saturday!!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic, and good luck to both of you - you're much braver than I am! I guess I just can't imagine being able to run for a full 30 minutes when I'm still on the 90 second intervals at the moment (and they wear me out by the end of the 20 mins!).

You've inspired me to just get on and do it. Thank you!

Believe me, a month ago I couldn't have believed it either. I still can hardly believe it!
  • Jenvan78
    Jenvan78 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You are like me, I got as far week 5. I am now on week 3 and signed up for one on Oct 6th. I have started over and over and over too.
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I had just finished my 5th week and was starting my 6th the day of my 5K. Obviously I couldn't run the whole thing, but I had built up the endurance to complete the 3 miles and it felt awesome.

Glad you came back to do it again... Signing up for the 5K really does give you the incentive to get out there and stick to it.

Be aware... the 5K's are addictive. :)
  • minisumo
    Options

I think I'll add this to my list of motivational quotes! Thank you, and good luck with your run in October :happy:
  • minisumo
    Options
    I had just finished my 5th week and was starting my 6th the day of my 5K. Obviously I couldn't run the whole thing, but I had built up the endurance to complete the 3 miles and it felt awesome.

Glad you came back to do it again... Signing up for the 5K really does give you the incentive to get out there and stick to it.

Thanks Mayberry! Have already signed up to the November run. This is one addiction I'm really looking forward to having :happy:
  • minisumo
    Options
    You are like me, I got as far week 5. I am now on week 3 and signed up for one on Oct 6th. I have started over and over and over too.

Oh wow, that's great! Good luck with it, let me know how you get on!
  • PurpleMilly
    PurpleMilly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week 6 and am planning to do a ParkRun 5K on 8th October, which will be just after 'graduation'. Currently running x4 a week - 3 x C25K plus with a local running group! If you'd told me even a month ago I'd join a running group I'd've laughed at you. We are the slowest people there by far (their warm up is our run for the day lol) but one day we won't be!
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options

^^^THIS is one addiction I am seriously looking forward to having! I will finish the 1st week of November and hubby and I are planning on running the TurkeyTrot on Thanksgiving morning...I'm a little scared but I figure with the timing even if I have to repeat a week or two I should still have plenty of time...:happy:
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and currently weigh 225. Never been a runner until starting C25K.

By Week 8 I was pushing to go a little further each time and was actually able to do 3.4 - 3.6 miles going into Week 9. I ran my first 'official' 5K this past Saturday within a couple days of finishing Week 9. I'm doing it in around 38/39 minutes.

To push a little more yesterday I was able to run a bit slower but go much farther to 4 miles in 58 minutes.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing W2D1 tonight.
    I am signed up for a 5k on October 20th. That will be week 7, assuming I do not have to repeat a week.
    The goal will keep me motivated. (I did that with all my securities exams - set my test date so I'd have no choice but to study that wretchedly boring material. Passed the Series 7 & 66 on my first try.)
  • tniemeyer
    Options
    I finished week 4 on Thursday and did my first 5K yesterday. I'm planning on doing the next race October 20th, should be about a week after I finish the program.
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    I will be running my first 5k on october 21st..I will just be finishing the program by then. I am thinking of doing a turkey trot too..we shall see :)
  • LooptLou25
    LooptLou25 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing the local parkrun this Saturday, a free weekly timed event for monitoring progress. It will be my first official 5k & today will be day 3 week 4, & starting week 5 on Thursday, so I'll not even have graduated. I may finish last, but am determined to complete the route.

Ok, completed the 5k, jogged the entire route & time of 35:13, just a tad excitable when crossed the finish line! I was amazed to be under 45 mins & the fact in July I couldn't even run 30 secs shows what we can achieve when we put ourselves to the test. Went along to check out our local running club last night (had emailed to ensure they cater for beginners), thoroughly loved it, can't wait for the next session & will be joining the club. Anyone who thinks, I'm not strong enough for a club, email to check they cater for beginners, & yes, you are able to do it, they will even walk some sections with you if you need to!

Will be running the parkrun 5k again this Saturday & hope to see if I can improve & be under 35mins this week!