JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
Do you wear shoes during training?

If so, what would you suggest?

Replies

• fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    what training?

No for martial arts, 30DS or anything in my own home and yes for gym, exercise classes and outside running.
  • vikingheart
    Options
    Nah, we train barefoot, but we run either before or after class, and I have Mizuno sneakers for that.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    We wear socks to protect the flooring... Its annoying because my feet are constantly slipping.. Think my rather girlie instructor hates bare feet... Im trying to find yoga socks with the grips on them to help with the problem, the last place I trained we went barefoot even when jogging around the hall.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    No, no shoes for any martial arts, I'll wear trainers for any other cardio workouts
  • rstoliker
    Options
    In Hapkido, we chose to wear wrestling shoes...however, in jiu jitsu, judo and especially Kickboxing...its barefoot ONLY
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    For martial arts, I mainly train outside, so I wear whatever I will be wearing normally.
    In the spring/summer, I mainly wear flip-flops, so I kick off my flip-flops and train barefoot.
    In the fall/winter, sneakers or heavy boots, depending on the weather.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Never have.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Shoes are optional at my kung fu studio. I normally do all indoor exercise barefoot, but I prefer the Puma Speed Cat for kung fu and for trail running. Lots of people wear Puma shoes at the studio.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I practice Aikido, and no shoes. I do however wear one sock with a lift in it because of a leg length discrepancy that causes some problems. I am the one sock aikidoka!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I didn,t till i started breaking toe.

now i wear new balance minimus cross trainers. Smooth enough underneath to not wreck my knee.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Nope
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    No shoes in martial arts for me...

When training for example (INSANITY)..I use the Reebok Zignano Ignite Trainer 2 shoes.... Amazing cross-trainer shoes.
  • JephaMooi
    JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've got a knee that pulls out of place, essentially causing hip pains on the same side. I've just ordered a pair of "Buddhist shaolin shoes" to perhaps help train foot support during the more intense foot to ground sessions.

Anyone else with similar ailments? Suggestions?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    We used to do barefoot. Then the gym we train at had a fire, and almost all of our mats were destroyed, so now we do in sneakers since we don't have enough mats to cover the floor. I hate it because my sneakers slip on the flooring, so whereas I was getting much more flexible during stretches when we were barefoot, I have to be careful not to injure myself now. :sad:
  • cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bare foot our instructor goes mad about socks and shoes on his mat :)
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You might want to check with your instructor and see what he or she allows or prefers. Most of us go barefoot although a couple wear wrestling shoes, and I do myself occasionally. The only requirement is that you can't have worn the shoes there, meaning you didn't pick up gravel or other particles in the sole then track it on the mat.
  • althaluszombie
    althaluszombie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i wear ninja shoes outside training but barefoot indoors
  • mdplopez3
    mdplopez3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    During my formal TKD class we don't wear shoes. But if I'm working out on my own at the gym I wear my trainers. Its sucks because the bottoms grip the floor making turing hard. But I'm not BF on the yucky gym floor so I suffer thought it and just work on simple stances, blocks and kicks, I don't do any combos or poomse there its just too hard :-/
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I wear vibrams outside the dojang. I have one pair whose sole has been worn nice and smooth. They're perfect for practicing on wood, concrete, or asphalt.