Officially Cancelled MY WW Acct! New TO Counting Calories!

Options
Hi!
I'm a mother of 3 (well, 4, if you count my husband!), 44 years old and I have battled my weight all my life. I successfully lost 75lbs on my own doing a low gl diet, exercise (I was a stay at homer then) and then Atkins for about 4-5 months (as a vegetarian...not easy!) before hurricane Katrina, and vowed I would NEVER go past a size 8 again! Then we were displaced, separated, yadda, yadda, yadda. Of course that was 7 years ago. Went back to WW several times, actually became a Life timer following the Core program they had...but with back surgery, going back to the workforce full time, I have struggled a lot with it. I re-joined WW yet again, but haven't really moved more than 12 lbs since the end of December 2011. I hope to continue eating healthy, feeling satisfied, pulling in the reigns a bit, counting fruits and veggies and perhaps having some real success! I have almost always done well if I put my mind to it, but even with some forgiveness, I would still lose weight when I was younger...much slower now.
I look forward to meeting all of you, and getting to my goal weight again and staying there! FINALLY! :happy:

Replies

• jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Glad to have you, feel free to friend me if you need some inspiration and motivation.
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi! I canceled my WW account last month, after being on for 8 months. I really needed to know how many calories, etc. I was eating.

Were you at all bothered by NOT knowing?
  • amadacorazon
    amadacorazon Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I signed up on MFP about six months ago, during that time I was still paying on my online WWs account. Finally decided to cancel it a couple of weeks ago when some friends mentioned they had just started MFP in lieu of WWs.
  • dillyg08
    dillyg08 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I can relate to the WW portion. I just cancelled my subscription as well. Change is good and we can make it work. I actually like the idea of counting calories, because on WW all fruits are zero points which is not accurate if you ask me, no wonder the weight is so hard to come off. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • slboling
    slboling Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Many of us on MFP have moved here from WW. Great food database, great support, and FREE. Has great success with WW, but now loving MFP even better.
  • beautifulone14
    beautifulone14 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! Feel free to add me!
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I, too, am a 44 year working mom with 2 kids plus a husband and a dog. WW never seemed sustainable for me. This site is awesome and holds me accountable. The motivation from friends keeps me going. I wish you much success.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I just cancelled my WW account too! I however played around with both for about 1 month and comparing calories to points it was pretty close. I lost about 15 lbs on WW and have another 10 to lose. I like the online community here too, when I need motivation through the day I just pop online! Very similar to the WW website! I also like saving the money :happy:
  • Dianecg
    Dianecg Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I, too, cancelled mine a couple months ago. Not only did I want to focus on calories but also the balance of carbs to protein to fats. I like it much better on MFP!

Feel free to add me as a friend too!
  • paradisecat
    Options
    I have done WW in the past but could never quite get the hang of it. i absolutely love this site so far and the people that I have met are true gems. So keep up the good work and never give up trying...just let your strength SHINE. many supportive hugs and live well
  • squishymissay
    squishymissay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP a week ago, and debating quitting WW.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I am a former WW member, and although I loved the program and was successful, this fits my budget better! lol good luck!
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I quit my WW account about two months ago...when I realized I can do the same thing on MFP for free!!
  • trinalily
    trinalily Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello - I'm new to MFP (the online version - have used the iPhone app for a few months now). I also recently cancelled my WW subscription - WW quit "working" for me. I lost 45lbs then gained 15 back. Still need to lose 25lbs. Looking forward to sharing war stories as well as ideas and inspiration with all of you.
  • sharkyincanada
    sharkyincanada Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I too am a former WW member. I was ready for a change, and I really love how MFP works on my notebook, phone and ipad.
    I am 47, have 2 school-age kids, have had back surgery too, and am benefiting from all of the support here!
  • Timalein
    Timalein Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been doing WW off and on since 1997. At one point I weighed in at 205 and went down to 125, then a few years later back up to 185 then back down to 124 then back up to 163 and here I am now again trying to loss weight. I am 44 years old and have come to the realization that WW doesn't fit me any longer. At first I thought I have to stick with it because otherwise I would be a failure. But after following the plan for the last 9 months and not going up or down in weight by much I decided I would quite WW and follow the Flat Belly Diet by Liz Vaccariello. A dear friend of mine 58 years old did this and lost weight and looks fantastic and she inspired me to try something else. I quote Albert Einstein "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." I truly like being able to use MFP for free and enjoy this new way of eating and hopefully I will get rid of my subcutaneous and visceral fat and be healthier :)
    I wish you all the success in the world! Best of luck!
  • KayleighWS
    KayleighWS Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been on WW on and off for years. I do find the counting calories easier and the database really good. I feel like I have a variety and I am more like tweaking what I eat than actually dieting. I am 45 and do counselling so I sit a fair bit. I am at my heaviest I have ever been but after 1 month on MFP I have seen great results and I don't feel like I am starving. i wish you great success with the program!
    Kayleigh
  • zeta107
    Options
    I just did the same thing. WW wasn't working for me this time around so any advice, help, support would be greatly appreciated. I am just struggling right now and know that somthing needs to be done.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm also a WW drop out. I'm doing way better here than I was on WW. I did initially have some success there, but then I couldn't go to meetings because of my schedule and gained it all back. Tried again w/the WW Points Plus online and couldn't lose a thing! So now here I am at MFP and loving it - and losing!
  • mesickofwork
    mesickofwork Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP...I was never a WW person but i have friends that have been, most have stopped WW. The few people that have started MFP like it better.....its free, alot of ideas, you can ask any question and someone will find the answer and give it to you, and the data base for food is large and you can make anyone you want a friend if you think they are going to help you to your goal. You maybe even be able to find someone in your area to work out with...there are that many of us out there....
    With MFP i use my phone to add almost everything....on the fly i can search a restaurants menu find a low cal meal and order. its that easy

good luck with your trip to your goal and remember your not alone......