Lifting - where to start?

Good news!!

Following my recent car accident I've been told my physio I'm ok to start lifting but slowly & have build up gradual (only minor shoulder/neck muscle damage but I have to be careful as it repairs)

Pre accident I was doing kettle bells at home nothing too heavy as I didn't want to build muscle, but from that you guys have posted I don't need to worry. Where I work we are opening a gym soon nothing elaborate but free weights & one weights machine (from memory) but not sure where to start. Is there a beginners programme I can follow or any other advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance :-D

Replies

• LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Hey lovely!

Definitely start with the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a 6 month program and gets you started with full body workouts. The great thing is, it's perfect for beginners, but even still good if you've lifted before. I'm about a third of the way into it, absolutely loving it, and can see awesome changes already.

I know that Kiki & Lucia recommend New Rules or downloading the Cathe STS DVDs for working out at home, too.

My gym down the street is not fantastic, but has everything I need for New Rules :)

Good luck!! You will not be disappointed with the results once you start lifting. :happy:
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Just ordered it for my kindle, that way it can be with me wherever I go, so no excuses not to keep it up when I'm working away :)

thanks lulu I'll hopefully report some progress soon.

Additonally I think the bit on nutrition will be a huge benefit.

When I was younger I used to lift all the time, I went to a gym which was mainly a guys gym it didnt do much in the way of cardio, it was where all the serious bodybuilders went, but my friend & I went along twice a week and I loved it. Its still there, I might see how much it is to go there, the guys were fabulous at helping us and when I think about it (which I havent for a long time) I had a fab figure, ate well and was so fit - why did I stop?

excited......
  • evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    A bit late to the game, but since you mentioned that you have an injury, I recommend New Rules of Lifting for Life. It's by the same authors, so it's a very similar program and there is a lot of overlap, but they offer a lot of modifications for each exercise if you have injuries or bad joints (something that's lacking a bit in New Rules of Lifting for Women).

ETA: Just saw that you bought NROL for Women, It's a great book- I'm doing that program and loving it, but make sure you are careful so you don't exacerbate your injury. The support forum for the book has a link with lots of videos and modifications, if you need them.
  • CamyLoo
    CamyLoo Posts: 39 Member
    I want to start lifting but have to do it at home. There isn't a gym close enought for me to go to. I was wondering if NROLFL is a good choice for me to do at home. And if so what equipment would I need to buy?
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    I want to start lifting but have to do it at home. There isn't a gym close enought for me to go to. I was wondering if NROLFL is a good choice for me to do at home. And if so what equipment would I need to buy?

Check out the NROL4W group. I believe there is a list there of what you'll need at home!