How does one really set a true goal. Here are some tips:

Options
For challenges I ask that the participants take time to set some GOALS for the future... and what I usually get back is a long list of very vague, un-measurable goals.

- I want to be in great shape.
- I want to be out of debt.
- I want to learn piano.

The problem with those goals is that there is NO defined TARGET! You will never be able to look at them and say, I DID IT... and cross it off of your list... because you didn't put specifics on what those things mean to YOU in the moment.

I can tell you from personal experience... your idea of being in "GREAT SHAPE" will change as YOU change! When you need to lose 100lbs, just being in a size 10 could look enticing... but when you reach that goal... I can promise you... you won't be content there! You will want to PUSH further and become better!

I teach my team about setting SMART GOALS (acronym featured below) which make ALL the difference in not only setting definable goals... but ACHIEVING them!

So instead of the goals above... they would look like THIS:

- I currently wear a size 14 and want to fit into my size 10 J Brand Skinny Jeans by November 30th, 2012!

- I am currently have $32,100 in total debt (including CAR, CC, and Student Loans) and want to pay off 20% of that by March 2013 ($6,420) which means I will need to pay off $1,070 a month for the next 6 months.

- I want to start and complete 3 months of piano lessons by Jan. 1st.

THEN, once you REACH those goals... You set the NEXT goal for those categories!

It's all about BREAKING IT DOWN and making things ATTAINABLE!!! Cause who DOESN'T like to CROSS THINGS OFF OF THEIR GOAL LIST!?!?