Newly 'borderline' - doctor today!

MissMaggie3
MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
Hello everybody!

I've just had some blood test results back, to find that I am 'borderline hypothyroid', with a TSH score of 4.9 (I'm in the UK). I don't know what my T3 or T4 scores are - is it important to find out?

It explains a lot of things, like muscles that ache with no exercise, and more recently, absolutely uncontrollable hunger!

When I rang for my results, the secretary told me that the doctor wants to retest me in 3 month's time, so presumably she doesn't want me to start on medication yet. I think it's going to be a difficult 3 months, as my sense is that the condition is developing quite rapidly.

I have an appointment later today, and I'd be really grateful for any advice about what to say to / ask the doctor.

Thank you!

Replies

• debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Hi,
    That's too bad. Yes, the T3 & T4 are important, but many Dr.s have been taught that it is not. There is an excellent site that will give you lots of info. stopthethyroidmadness.com
    Sounds like you have plenty of symptoms & should get those symptoms treated.
    Hope you get help soon!
  • MissMaggie3
    Thank you Debby - it certainly is a good website! So many issues to consider though ... seems like you need a lot of knowledge and skills to deal with everything!
  • MissMaggie3
    OK, so I saw the doctor and she told me that TSH 4.9 was not considered high at all, but actually pretty low. She might think 10 was high, she said. I'm having my T4 level tested again in 4 weeks, but my TSH in 3 months. When I told her about the hunger, the muscle pains etc, she said she didn't think they would be connected to the thyroid issue.

I feel a bit deflated :ohwell:
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    OK, so I saw the doctor and she told me that TSH 4.9 was not considered high at all, but actually pretty low. She might think 10 was high, she said. I'm having my T4 level tested again in 4 weeks, but my TSH in 3 months. When I told her about the hunger, the muscle pains etc, she said she didn't think they would be connected to the thyroid issue.

I feel a bit deflated :ohwell:

Hi,

I'm sorry you are having trouble with your Dr. not treating your symptoms. Please don't give up in searching for a doctor that will listen to you and specializes in Hormones. :noway: They are all related to your Thyroid. For years I tried to get tested for Hypothyroid. It was almost impossible to get Dr's. to agree with me. Even though my Dad had thyroid issues. Goiter. It was almost impossible for me to lose weight. I was told to try harder.

Finally after the doctor I see for Arthritis told me my Calcium was too high and that could be a problem with my Para Thyroid. So off to the Endo I go. Long story short, I had one Para Thyroid and half of my Thyroid removed. The surgeon told me that my muscle aches and soreness would probably diminish quite a bit as Thyroid problems and the pain associated with it is sometimes confused with Arthritis. Guess what. My muscle and my "Arthritis" pain has REALLY diminished. I still have Arthritis is my joints however, it is nothing like before I started getting treated for my Thyroid. Don't let a Dr. tell you it "probably isn't related."

Sorry I'm having a little bit of a rant here, I do hope you can find a Doctor to treat your symptoms and not just go by the TSH test. I am having tests taken every two months to have my medications adjusted for ME. Not the tests. I have Free T4, Free T3 and Tsh taken every two months with a follow up with the doctor in his office and we go over the results together. If I tell him I'm still feeling this or that he explains what we are doing and why. So far we are working together to stabilize my medications. I pray you find a doctor that will listen to you and not just your tests. Read, read and read again all you can so you will be knowledgeable about your hormones, remember they All are related to the Thyroid glands. Stop the Thyroid Madness has excellent information. You will probably have to read it over and over but it is worth it. Lot's and lot's of wonderful information and there is so much more available on the internet.

Hang in there,
    Ginny:flowerforyou: