for the paleo chicks and weigh loss

Options
Curious for the women who are on paleo and actively losing weight... are you making sure you have a calorie deficit still? WHat is your average daily calories?

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry but usually end up between 1300 - 1500 calories.

Read Mark Sisson - Calories matter.

EDIT TO ADD : I've got around 90-100 lbs to lose still so am able to carry a big deficit and feel fine.
  • Fitby31
    Fitby31 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've only been Paleo for 9 days with 60ish lbs to lose. I'm down a little over 6lbs & have been at around 1300-1600 cals every day...maybe 1800 on the weekends.

I haven't started working out yet. So that lose is just from eating.
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Paleo since December 2011 and using MFP at the same time, I used adjusted my macros to represent my new diet. I eat around 1700 calories a day, always above my BMR. As you can see I've been very successful with it!
  • beccarockslife
    Options
    I have been doing Paleo since December 2011 and using MFP at the same time, I used adjusted my macros to represent my new diet. I eat around 1700 calories a day, always above my BMR. As you can see I've been very successful with it!

I'd love to be eating around my BMR I just can't get over the mental block of it. My BMR is around 1800 a day and I just can't do it :/ 1500 is my limit so far.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    my BMR is 1440, and my TDEE is 2200 (im on my feet a lot, and work our regularly) and i eat about 1850 a day and don't track on the weekends but always go over after eating out and cocktails are factored in. im losing inches, but not weight... and my hips and estrogen dominated fat areas seem to be getting a lot smaller...

more importantly, I FEEL GREAT!

:) kelli
  • Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    That's really interesting!! I would also be interested in hearing which macro- adaptation works best for you guys at what calorie level. I am for example still trying to figure out whether I should lower or up my fat intake in order to loose the stubborn 6 or 7 pounds. Any of you very close to goal weight and any experiences to share?
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm not actually sure what my BMR is, but I generally eat around 1800-1900 calories. 5'9", 220 lbs. Been doing primal for about 7 weeks and have lost about 10 lbs. I'm feeling more slender, and my clothes are fitting nicer even though the scale hasn't moved very much. Kind of nice because when I was doing weight watchers, it took me a 40 lb loss before I could move to a smaller size. I'm thinking in another 10-15 lbs I'll be able to do it. I really like Primal. :-)
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I try to stick around my 1550 calorie/day limit. Some days I'm a little over. I lost a lot of weight in my first week, but my weight loss has stalled over the last two weeks. I might need to adjust something...
  • beccarockslife
    Options
    BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate - you can find out what yours is in the tools section of the website. At 5'9 I would imagine you are about right. *sigh* this 5'6 girl would love to be 5'9, tallness rocks.

I always feel tired so I'm guessing I don't eat enough but I struggle to manage to get enough in unless I eat pork then I'm ok lol.

scared of upping calories but I've been bouncing around the same 4 lbs for ages!
  • hilary57
    Options
    I try to get as close to my 1200 net daily calorie number as possible ... this is for weight loss. I want to drop another 50 pounds although at this stage of life, that may be out of reach??? I'll keep at this as long as I am feeling good, and at the moment, I am feeling really good.
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Definately do whatever works for you, but a huge deficit over a long period of time can do harm to your body, and there is plenty of research to back me up.....If anyone hits a plateau and is eating below their BMR, just try upping your calories to like 100 above your BMR and see what happens, you will STILL be maintaining a deficit so you won't gain weight! YOu may gain a pound of two initially because your body is readjusting but then the weight will come off again. For me, this is a lifestyle change, I plan on eating paleo for the rest of my life, and I'm not just doing this as a diet, then planning to start eating bread and legumes again once I'm at my goal weight, personally I think that without adopting a lifestyle change, I would continue to yo yo up and down forever. But again, it's just my opinion. I tried doing Paleo at 1200 calories a day and I felt like I was going to faint all the time. But I do recognize that different things work for different people, but if anyone has questions about upping their calories, Paleo, TDEE, Macros, plateaus or BMR feel free to message me.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1500-2200 calories a day depending on hunger, with between 60-70+% fat. My BMR is 1560 as a female who's 5'10", age 33. I stopped eating 1500 calories as I got closer to my goal of being in the healthy BMI. I currently weight 157 lbs down from 193 and am still losing with this calorie intake so long as I keep my carbs under 100 grams. I try to walk at least 2 miles daily, and do strength training/cardio combo only a few days a week.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Of course calories matter but the primal/paleo lifestyle doesn't advocate strict calorie counting. I do because my food diary does it for me otherwise I just keep it to stay accountable. Carbs seem to be the biggest factor for me so they're the things I watch carefully. A typical day for me is between 1300-1600 cal's. I mostly eat at home and I plan my meals out. I exercise but am not overdoing it. My philosophy is that 'something' needs to be done daily. I am toning up and I suppose losing weight but I put my scale away and only weigh in once a month or so. For me, the paleo diet has way for health/energy benefits than anything else.
  • vanessairene
    vanessairene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I currently eat primal plus dairy. I was on 1200 calories a day, but was netting only about 900 after all my exercise.... wasn't meaning to, I just don't get hungry eating this way. I stalled out on weight loss. Now I'm up to 1400 and make sure I at least net 1200 no matter what. We'll see if that helps, if that doesn't do it, I'll will jump up to my TDEE and see from there.

Fee free to friend me. Open diary so you can see what my day looks like.

Good luck!
  • sophiathedss
    sophiathedss Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I destroyed my metabolism on a VLCD ( very low caloriediet) I am doing paleo/primal since a few days ago. I have eaten at BMR and gained 8 pounds , stalled out for the last two months. I am eating at 1200 - 1500 calories again. My BMR is around 1646...

I am pretty discouraged but will keep at it until my weight starts going back down. I am reading everyone's posts like a sponge....you give me hope people! :flowerforyou:

11269213.png
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    How are you guys eating so many calories? I eat around 1200-1300 everyday even though my TDEE is around 1500. I'm not trying to...I'm just FULL!!! Every fat filled meal looks like it's going to be so many calories, but when I calculate it...sigh.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I just love eating. :-D
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    How are you guys eating so many calories? I eat around 1200-1300 everyday even though my TDEE is around 1500. I'm not trying to...I'm just FULL!!! Every fat filled meal looks like it's going to be so many calories, but when I calculate it...sigh.

Just keep eating this way and don't be afraid to experiment with caloric intake. I was so freaked out in the beginning about my macronutrients and the fat intake, but then I did a trial week where I ate to hunger and I wasn't losing but I wasn't gaining either. However I was also training and was sore, so water retention was high. I'm currently doing a Whole30 challenge and I can't say that I hate it. In fact, I might have to continue after the challenge is over. I just feel so great!

Today I ate almost 2900 calories with 245 grams of fat (healthy ones), under 100 grams of carbs and 92 grams of protein. I didn't feel sleepy or even full for very long after I finished my huge plate of food (salmon and an epic salad). I only eat about two meals a day with a snack in between while at work. Yesterday I had close to 2400 calories and overnight, I dropped 1.4 lbs. I also drink a lot of water and train a few times a week, and try to walk about 2 miles per day.
  • 3lilkids
    3lilkids Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I try not to focus on calories, but on fat/protein/carbs. Running 3 days a week, HIT 3 days, becoming more lean and still losing. MFP had me at 1200 calories, but I upped it to 1400 and I wind up around there most days.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm primal (but close enough) and yes I still stay on a deficit. I have lost almost 120lbs in the past 10 months but I had a lot to lose so those results are not typical. Primal eating has worked well for me and for the most part it is very easy to follow (except those occasional slip-ups) and stay at 1200. All that protein really fills me up so I can't imagine eating more then that most days. I often have to resort to nuts for my last snack just to get to 1200 but then I keep my protein at 100-120+ per day since I am not a huge fan of veggies.