Delayed Emotional Binge Eating

Options
Hi, everyone. This is my first post here. I am very much an emotional eater, a habit I learned from all the major female influences in my life as a kid, and a habit I have been unable (unwilling?) to stop.

I've lost 12 lbs since I began using MFP, and most of that was just from healthy eating. I'm currently going through somewhat severe depression, so it took a long while to make myself work-out. Today is the third day of me working out. (I haven't yet today, but will.)

My question is...if you wake up in the morning in a pretty good, content mood, and then very shortly after waking up, something makes you sad, hurt, mad, or otherwise upset, how do you keep yourself from either immediately seeking comfort in food or throwing out your well-prepared meal plan for the day, only to not eat at all and then binge at night? I have a tendency to just say, "Screw it" and not bother eating all day long. Then night rolls around and I will devour anything in sight.

Currently, I don't live alone, so making sure there are no sweets or other unhealthy foods in the house is impossible, though I do make a conscious effort to not keep any in my basement apartment of the house I live in.

Someone did something hurtful to me this morning that was followed by a massive, blow-out argument. I'm mad, hurt, and confused and just really, really don't want to eat my banana, greek yogurt, and 'Naked' juice smoothie. I want other things, badly.

I'm currently waiting on my paycheck to come through, and all I can think about is going out to eat when I get it. That's not so much the problem as wanting to go out to places that offer no healthy alternatives or are the homes of some of my favorite unhealthy dishes.

I guess I just am hoping someone can relate. I know it's unhealthy to let another person's actions affect me to the point that it would jeopardize something I want badly, but...Well, you all know.

Anyhow, words of encouragement would be very much welcomed. Thank you, guys.

Replies

• Yoshima
    Options
    I am an emotional eater, too. I pre-log my meals the night before, and there have been times that I have a really fantastically healthy day planned, then something happens. It could be depression, anxiety, anger, or whatever negative situation that changes my mood, and I will or really want to cave in and eat total crap.

One thing that I've found has really helped me when I actually do it is positive affirmations. I'll repeat to myself in my head:

I am a strong person, and am not a slave to my urges to eat junk.
    I am worth more than this food, and will not let it control me.

And so on.

Give it a try. The power of positive thinking is amazing.

BTW - I have only recently started doing this, and have set a small goal to read a list of positive affirmations to myself for 5 minutes in the morning 4 out of 7 days per week with the hope of making this a morning "ritual"

I am amazed how much better I have been doing.
  • ASH0424
    ASH0424 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't have advice really.
    I do get this though.
    I had something bad happen to me this morning that made me mad.
    I ended up going back to sleep for an hr and half and when I got up had missed breakfast - but was able to eat and track lunch and get 4 glasses of water in.
    All I can say is keep coming here....we may not be able to offer much other than a listening it (or at least me) but we're/I am here.

Ash
  • lessofmeeachweek
    lessofmeeachweek Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate.

Some suggestions that might help:
    - indulge in something else non-food like a new lipstick or nail polish
    - find a mantra that works for you - I don't really have a set one yet, I just come up with ones that work for different situations - right now for me the best thing I can think is "I can get through this, and tomorrow will be better"
    - if you do want to go out to eat plan it out ahead of going - figure out what you can eat there that is relatively healthy and track it right away, and you can always box up part of it so that it saves you on the calories
    - remember that if you do have a bad day here and there not to give up, we all have bad days and you can start fresh tomorrow

Good luck! We are here for you if you need us!
  • Thank you all. :)

I appreciate your open ears (eyes?). I managed to eat pretty well considering. Had my normal breakfast, ate fruit, carrots, yogurt, and a juice smoothie for lunch, a salad from Panera's for dinner, and tonight I bought a pint of frozen greek yogurt. Normally, I'd devour the whole thing, adding up to nearly 850 calories. Thankfully, I'm more cognizant of what exactly 850 calories means these days, so I am only going to eat the recommended serving size of 1/4 the container.

I did my weekly grocery shopping and bought essentially all produce (with the exception of chicken breasts, coconut water, and my 'Naked' Green Machine juice). Oh, and the greek yogurt.

I also bought myself a gym membership today and took myself shopping. I did so well! My first instinct is to buy as many clothes as possible, but I only bought two pieces of clothing. I told myself I could get a new dress after I got to my first goal. I bought a pair of yoga pants/running sweat things and a loose-fitting (and stylish) t-shirt that I will feel comfortable working out in. I also bought three pairs of shoes. All practical shoes that are good for my feet, too! My grandmother would be so proud; I never wear 'good' shoes. I prefer flip-flops, converse chuck taylors, or cute flats. I got a pair of cross trainers for working out, a decent pair of everyday walking shoes, and a pair of tevas, cute strappy sandals fit for light hiking.

The gym membership and shoes were planned for weeks, so I don't think those count as emotional shopping.

Anyway. Thank you for listening.
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater, too. I pre-log my meals the night before, and there have been times that I have a really fantastically healthy day planned, then something happens. It could be depression, anxiety, anger, or whatever negative situation that changes my mood, and I will or really want to cave in and eat total crap.

One thing that I've found has really helped me when I actually do it is positive affirmations. I'll repeat to myself in my head:

And so on.

Give it a try. The power of positive thinking is amazing.

Positive affirmations really help me too!! One of mine that helped me alot was "I only eat when Im truly hungry" and I only eat healthy food that nourishes my body"

I try to do it when im tired and drifting into sleep and throughout the day a few times a day. I heard that i bed , right before you drift off is a very effective time to o it.

Hang in there- it gets easier. awareness is the first step and youre obviously already there!!!! :bigsmile:
    Theres some great books to read too on the subject,

BTW - I have only recently started doing this, and have set a small goal to read a list of positive affirmations to myself for 5 minutes in the morning 4 out of 7 days per week with the hope of making this a morning "ritual"

I am amazed how much better I have been doing.
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Positive affirmations really help me too!! One of mine that helped me alot was "I only eat when Im truly hungry" and I only eat healthy food that nourishes my body"

I try to do it when im tired and drifting into sleep:yawn: and throughout the day a few times a day. I heard that i bed , right before you drift off is a very effective time to do it.

Hang in there- it gets easier. awareness is the first step and youre obviously already there!!!!
    Theres some great books to read too on the subject,
  • ninamfoss
    Options
    I do the same things. I have been doing MFP for about 35-40 days, lost about 15 lbs. However I want to lose the weight overnight, I wish it was easy. Every day seems like a new struggle. Before this weekend I did well, every day that passed that I didnt binge I felt more and more confident, however I slipped this weekend and gained weight from it. I am trying to teach myself to eat throughout the day healthy items, even though the weight isnt melting away like a gastric bypass patient, it is coming off. Ive come to the relazation its going to take me a good year to get to my goal. Sure I can crash diet and starve, I lost 60 lbs that way but then gained it back faster than I lost it. I got tired of ten lbs gone 15 lbs gained up and down up and down. Moments were I ignore my emotional eating and say screw it. Moments were im lost in food, its my only thought. Ive been learning to love my food, buying foods that are good for me and I like. Im tired of failing, so so tired. Trying to form new habbits to replace binge eating. I buy gourmet suckers, they are 100 cals but if I feel myself going there I eat that, it keeps my mind on the candy and its takes me a good hr to eat. 100 cals is better than 2000 cals that I know I can eat in a matter of minutes. 100 cal pop is a good one too as well as a fizzy drink like dt.coke or dt.sprite with a splash of cranberry. Reminding myself to do so is very hard. I watch tv in my room and fold laundry to keep me from going there or make bows for my daughters hair. Remember each day that passes that you dont binge be proud of yourself, be proud of eating healthy without starving. My nana always told me "Sweetie, you didnt gain that weight over night" Which means im not losing it overnight either. Set reasonable goals. I went from lets lose 7lbs a week, to a goal of 1.5 lbs. And im dam proud of a 1.5 lose ina week. Because 1.5 lbs will get me to my gaol, even if its a year. Better than crash dieting and next yr im at the same weight. You got this.
  • ninamfoss
    Options

-I like this !
  • diztimetoshine
    diztimetoshine Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I do the same things... I haven't been able to exercise recently due to an ankle injury in July. I see Ortho on Wed. and just want this foot to heal. Not to mention that I am having thyroid surgery on 10/2 (possibility of thyroid cancer) Talk about being stressed out. My go to food has been Ben & Jerry's :sad: I have been logging my calories and so far have not gone over. On top of all of this I suffer from anxiety and depression. I love comfort food, but am cooking much healthier than I ever have. I do find that when I'm able to workout it makes me so much more relaxed and I feel so good. I agree, try things at home and find what you like. I love Zumba (and can't dance) Step aerobics and working out in the gym. I do have to say the ladies at my Zumba class are all there for the same reasons... to workout and have fun. There are tiny petite women to morbidly obese, and guess what? No one pays attention to the person besides them.. Just keep going and if you need some support, please friend me. The more encouragement we can get from others helps..
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, have I had those days. There is no quick fix for it. You have to teach/train yourself to change your mind. When you are feeling like that, try meditating, just forcing yourself to do a workout...talk it out with a friend (whether in your real or in MFP/this group)....

There are so many ideas, but it depends on you. what works with you...and honestly, it may be a variety of things for different situations that gets you out of that mind frame. But, it all depends on you and your commitment on your goals. I am finding that the more serious I am getting with losing the weight, the more about myself that I have to face and learn to change. I've come to realize that I have been failing because, at least for me, it isn't just about losing the weight - it's about bettering myself.

And it's a great thing! Sure the truth can be ugly, painful and embarrassing - but how else are you really going to change? Especially for emotional/stress eaters - if you don't understand yourself and realize that you have to change your attitude and how you handle stress, etc....how do you expect to really succeed in your goals?

Just keep at it and don't give up on yourself! That's the only way you will fail...is if you give up.