Options

Replies

• teemarania
    Options
    bump
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    So what is a 'relatively light person'.....how do we know if we fall into this category?!

If I was forced to throw out numbers, I'd say 15% and below for men and 22% and below for women. YMMV.

Thanks...just a vague gauge helps put it in perspective!

You're welcome!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Good stuff as always, Steve. Thanks.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Good stuff as always, Steve. Thanks.

My pleasure. I'd like to get this info on the main forum... I should probably copy and paste.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I think this is the 4th time I have read this article. Its good for me to reread it and get the info into my head. I liked it so much I have saved it on my computer in a file and printed it out, just incase my computer crashes. Good stuff Steve!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    You're very welcome. I love that it helps you. Really. Please share it!
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    great read. thank you
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    tagging
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later, looks like great info. Thanks.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    You're welcome!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I found this group and this topic! Great information even after 2 years! I do struggle changing my mindset having never been at this place with my body since I was very young. I started running to lose weight/fat while I was learning to strength train and building muscle. Now I run because I love it and I am a nicer person when I do. I continue to lift and train because I love being strong, stronger than I have ever been. This doesn't mean though that I don't still worry about the scale and those last 5-10 pounds that simply won't come off.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I am so glad I found this group and this topic! Great information even after 2 years! I do struggle changing my mindset having never been at this place with my body since I was very young. I started running to lose weight/fat while I was learning to strength train and building muscle. Now I run because I love it and I am a nicer person when I do. I continue to lift and train because I love being strong, stronger than I have ever been. This doesn't mean though that I don't still worry about the scale and those last 5-10 pounds that simply won't come off.

Those last 5-10 lbs can be quite the challenge. A couple of random thoughts:

1. Are the last 5-10 lbs worth it? How much more happiness will it net you? Sure, since you haven't tasted it, it's hard to tell. But know this... that last bit of weight is so hard, generally speaking, because your body doesn't want it to come off. And if you actually got it off, the challenge of keeping it off becomes increasingly more difficult. It's all about managing your compromises.

2. I encounter a lot of people who simply aren't patient enough to handle the last 5 or so pounds. The lighter/leaner you get, the longer the time frame you need to allow for to see what's what. In some people, this can be as long as 2... maybe even 3 months. But by the time that rolls around, most people have already given up, binged, and erased the very slow, arduous progress they've accumulated to date. And thus the cycle continues... never really leaving the same few pounds that you keep trading back and forth.

3. For those folks who are really committed and truly only have the last bit of stubborn fat to go, I've found that the best approach is a cyclic diet where carbs are altered across the week, 2-3 rounds of strength training per week, 1-2 sessions of stubborn fat interval training a la Lyle McDonald, and maybe a couple sessions of steady state work as needed.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options

1. Are the last 5-10 lbs worth it? How much more happiness will it net you? Sure, since you haven't tasted it, it's hard to tell. But know this... that last bit of weight is so hard, generally speaking, because your body doesn't want it to come off. And if you actually got it off, the challenge of keeping it off becomes increasingly more difficult. It's all about managing your compromises.

2. I encounter a lot of people who simply aren't patient enough to handle the last 5 or so pounds. The lighter/leaner you get, the longer the time frame you need to allow for to see what's what. In some people, this can be as long as 2... maybe even 3 months. But by the time that rolls around, most people have already given up, binged, and erased the very slow, arduous progress they've accumulated to date. And thus the cycle continues... never really leaving the same few pounds that you keep trading back and forth.

3. For those folks who are really committed and truly only have the last bit of stubborn fat to go, I've found that the best approach is a cyclic diet where carbs are altered across the week, 2-3 rounds of strength training per week, 1-2 sessions of stubborn fat interval training a la Lyle McDonald, and maybe a couple sessions of steady state work as needed.

Thanks Steve -
    I have been thinking about this a great deal of late. The other day I took stock of my body in the mirror and ended up walking away quite pleased with where I am. Is it perfect - definitely not, but looking pretty good for a 58 year old :happy:
    My entire journey has been pretty slow (intentionally). I did not expect to loose quickly and honestly never really expected to get to where I am now (weight or strength). So I am not too concerned about it taking a while. I will look at the cyclic diet, I know you have info about it on your website, and I will take a look at Lyle McDonald's information, but I think I will take some time to enjoy where I am and not worry too much about those last few pounds. I am strong, I continue to track and measure what I eat, continue to train and run and look better as a result of all of it!
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    tagging, optimistic that I'll need this one day!
  • stroutman81
    Options

Thanks Steve -
    I have been thinking about this a great deal of late. The other day I took stock of my body in the mirror and ended up walking away quite pleased with where I am. Is it perfect - definitely not, but looking pretty good for a 58 year old :happy:
    My entire journey has been pretty slow (intentionally). I did not expect to loose quickly and honestly never really expected to get to where I am now (weight or strength). So I am not too concerned about it taking a while. I will look at the cyclic diet, I know you have info about it on your website, and I will take a look at Lyle McDonald's information, but I think I will take some time to enjoy where I am and not worry too much about those last few pounds. I am strong, I continue to track and measure what I eat, continue to train and run and look better as a result of all of it!

I like the way you think.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Far from relatively light, but great stuff!! Really glad I'm following you on here. Thanks!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Far from relatively light, but great stuff!! Really glad I'm following you on here. Thanks!

I'm glad to be followed by you.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Bumppppp
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump