New to Your Group

Options
Hi everyone! I'm new to your group and I started C25K for the 1st time on August 1st.... being aggressive as I am I started it running 6.0 mph (treadmill) and with randmom inclines....

Week 1... Success
Week 2... Success
Week 3... Success
Week 4.... Success
WEEK 5... OMG!!! I am repeating it for the 3rd time this week and have gone to no inclines at all and am thinking about dropping my spead to 5.5 or maybe even 5.0!!!

This is really just killing me.... please please please tell me this is normal... I am not new to working out, I am a black belt in Tang Soo Do and have worked out most of my adult life... and probably last year I guess could run 20 mins without stopping at 5.0... I just need some reassurance for now I guess... Feel free to add me.. I am here EVERYDAY!! :)

Replies

• kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Is it just day 3 you are struggling with? Week 5 is designed to make you slow your pace to something you can sustain for longer runs. You should not expect to do it at or near the speed you were doing the prior intervals at.
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Is it just day 3 you are struggling with? Week 5 is designed to make you slow your pace to something you can sustain for longer runs. You should not expect to do it at or near the speed you were doing the prior intervals at.

Ditto this. Week 5 is more about endurance, NOT speed. I don't even know what speed I did it at because I run outdoors, but I remember it being more about learning to control my breathing and to perservere through the length of time. Speed will come in due time.

Repeating days though isa good idea when you know you aren't ready for the next interval... and to be commended. :) Listen to your body, you don't want to injure yourself.
  • Kjngrrl
    Kjngrrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 5 and have never gone faster than 5mph. It's not about speed right now, it's about building endurance. Go as slow as you need to, just keep moving.
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Well I did it!!! I completed Week 5 day 2 and am satisfied with it... I slowed down to 5mph and well I don't wnat to say it was "easy" but OMG what a difference that made... I'm ready to move on to Week 5 Day 3.. it's the 1st really long run!!! Thanks for all the advice!!