Safe Lifestyle

Options
I don't know if I've been extra sensitive lately, but I've been noticing more and more comments from close family and friends regarding my health and the safety of training for competitions (I'm 5 weeks out from my 1st bikini competition). I have always been an athlete, and most of the people commenting are or have been athletes before. Most people are saying that this is a great thing that I'm doing, but that it is probably not sustainable, and could turn out to be detrimental to my health. I understand that I won't be in competition shape for the next 30 years of my life, but I've made some amazing growth in my knowledge of fitness and nutrition, and plan to incorporate it into my future. Thoughts? Is this lifestyle sustainable and healthy?

Replies

• oMandaBo
    Options
    Completely depends how you do it! I know girls that go into it terribly unhealthy. They gain weight while not competing, and then starve themselves and wreak all kinds of havoc on their bodies to get back into competition shape. This can be really terrible for your metabolism, and like you said, is usually not sustainable.
    I love competing, but am determined only to do it in a healthy way, and one that has positive effects on my body, and not destructive ones. My personal trainer helped me set up a diet and workout program so that I can do that. I maintain my competition shape all the time, and just lean out about 2% body fat a few weeks prior to competition. I do this just by working out and eating healthy all the time, not just right before a competition. Preparing this way also means that I don't go through the crazy hormonal roller coster that I see so many competitors putting themselves through with drastic changes to their diet.
    I believe it's sustainable and healthy, for me it just took someone else who knew a lot about diet and exercise to show me how.
  • rdy2sculpt
    Options
    Amen!
  • cyncetastic
    Options
    I think society in general has a skewed thought when it comes to what is "health and normal." As more and more people inch closer to being overweight/obese, that type of body and lifestyle has become more of the "norm."

Like others have said above - if you're going about it in a healthy way, then you will be healthy! I don't see how eating clean foods, feeding your body the nutrients it needs, and avoiding things like excess sugar and bad fats can have detrimental effects. That is just so outside the realm of "normal" for the general public that they think it HAS to be wrong.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I get blood work twice a year and stay in touch with my doc. to make sure I am healthy. Plus, you can tell when you are doing it right because your strength and energy is through the roof!

Do what you know is good for you.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I have heard of girls who go about it pretty dangerously and tremendously unhealthily... but, I decided long ago I would not be one of those competitors. I eat, workout, eat, rest, eat, etc. and drink plenty of water... To me, that is more important than any trophy ever could be.