HELP I'm sucked into cardio and I can't give it up!

TroyM68
TroyM68 Posts: 8 Member
I think I joined this group because I've always believed that philosophy.... BUT.... I've been sucked into the cardioholics group and I'm getting NOWHERE!

My name is Troy and I'm a Cardioholic! I think I have broken my metabolism.... I need to fix it... I'm afraid...I'm afraid I'm going to go to the gym tomorrow and burn another 1,500 - 2000 calories....

With all the fun aside.... I really do think I've broken my metabolism and I need some help to get it fixed.... I need to start strength training again...but I'm afraid to get off the bike... Or the treadmill... Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I to 20+ miles on the treadmill every week and 60+ miles on the stationary bike....

I'm not eating half of what I think I need to be eating and I've completely stopped losing weight...BUT... I don't want to eat more because I don't won't to gain again....

WOW... that's the most I've ever admitted to actually needing help in my entire life....

Please feel free to friend me... Throw things at me, whatever...just tell me what I need to do.... Mtheremismso much conflicting information on the internet now days I don't know which way to turn....

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Hi and Welcome to the group!

You found the right spot to get started with.
    Wow, you really do a lot of cardio. Makes me tired just reading it lol. But there is help, no worries. I used to be a Cardio Queen as well, but have changed things completely.
    My first advice is, to read all the information we are having on the stickies. That will help you to know what to expect and what to be prepared for.
    You are already saying you think your metabolism is broken, so the best thing for you to do is to do a reset, meaning at your TDEE for about 8 weeks. This will help your metabolism going again. Try to hit your macros by eating 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein.
    Did you run your numbers? There is a great calculator on this site
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Once you have your TDEE you can get started.
    After the reset you will do a little cut of 10-15% and going back to eating at TDEE every 4-6 weeks to keep your body guessing and not getting used to the low calories.
    As for the Cardio-keep it for half your workouts and try to get lifting for the other half. If you can get in three days of heavy lifting you be doing great. If you build muscle it will help you burn fat. As for the Cardio: I have switched from an hour of cardio a day to HIIT training and my new found love is Tabata training.

Hope that helps
    If you have more questions, let us know.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    When we find something that seems to work, it is hard to change it. I think we often feel that just pressing harder will get us through, that is not always the case. The body needs variety, you need to keep your body guessing, and you need to recover from your cardio addiction.

Step away from the bikes, unplug that treadmill, stop sweating buckets and getting nowhere.

I'm insanely jealous of you, yes you! You can lift weights, eat lots of delicious food, and make lots of progress sculpting an awesome body with weight training. Stop starving, stop running circles like a hamster in a cage on the cardio, and release your inner beast (I know it's in there, we all have one, I have become great friends with mine).

Start eating, eat your TDEE, and find yourself a good free-weight program. Try stronglifts if you have never lifted before. I know there are other programs out there, find one for a beginner and do it. If you are unmotivated, tell yourself that you can not do any cardio until you do your weights. You will notice progress and it will become so much easier.

Yes, you might gain weight, but it will be good weight (you know the stuff... bulging biceps, rippling abs... ) and I really don't think you will mind.

You can do this!
  • riouxt
    riouxt Posts: 104 Member
    ^^ All sage and most excellent advice. Not much to add, but I'll just say that since committing to the metabolism reset (just finished week 4) and joining this group (having processed the information I've read on here), I could not wait to dump my crazy cardio which didn't happen until last Sunday (because of my commitment made in the spring to race). Believe me, I'm feeling much relief to get back hours on the weekend (no more long runs!!:tongue:) and focus on building and sculpting some amazing and calorie burning muscle. The most I'm going to worry about doing to meet my cardio goals are 5km runs. VERY doable!!:happy:
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Hi and Welcome to the group!

You found the right spot to get started with.
    Wow, you really do a lot of cardio. Makes me tired just reading it lol. But there is help, no worries. I used to be a Cardio Queen as well, but have changed things completely.
    My first advice is, to read all the information we are having on the stickies. That will help you to know what to expect and what to be prepared for.
    You are already saying you think your metabolism is broken, so the best thing for you to do is to do a reset, meaning at your TDEE for about 8 weeks. This will help your metabolism going again. Try to hit your macros by eating 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein.
    Did you run your numbers? There is a great calculator on this site
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Once you have your TDEE you can get started.
    After the reset you will do a little cut of 10-15% and going back to eating at TDEE every 4-6 weeks to keep your body guessing and not getting used to the low calories.
    As for the Cardio-keep it for half your workouts and try to get lifting for the other half. If you can get in three days of heavy lifting you be doing great. If you build muscle it will help you burn fat. As for the Cardio: I have switched from an hour of cardio a day to HIIT training and my new found love is Tabata training.

Hope that helps
    If you have more questions, let us know.

okay what is HIIT? and what is Tabata?
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member

HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training. I haven't done it, but I've read about it.

Tabata is straight from Satan :devil: Did that outside this morning and saw stars during the sunrise. :sick:
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    I'm a cardio junkie too and I actually love it. I wish so many people didn't see it as the devil. Cardio has a ton of benefits:

Reduced risk of heart disease
    Improved blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels
    Improved heart function
    Reduced risk of osteoporosis

Of course, too much of any exercise is too much, including weightlifting.

I work hard to find a nice balance of cardio and heavy lifting.

Good luck on your journey. If you're doing a lot of cardio, it is important to eat enough (especially carbs) to support your calorie burns.
  • I think I joined this group because I've always believed that philosophy.... BUT.... I've been sucked into the cardioholics group and I'm getting NOWHERE!

My name is Troy and I'm a Cardioholic! I think I have broken my metabolism.... I need to fix it... I'm afraid...I'm afraid I'm going to go to the gym tomorrow and burn another 1,500 - 2000 calories....

With all the fun aside.... I really do think I've broken my metabolism and I need some help to get it fixed.... I need to start strength training again...but I'm afraid to get off the bike... Or the treadmill... Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I to 20+ miles on the treadmill every week and 60+ miles on the stationary bike....

I'm not eating half of what I think I need to be eating and I've completely stopped losing weight...BUT... I don't want to eat more because I don't won't to gain again....

WOW... that's the most I've ever admitted to actually needing help in my entire life....

Please feel free to friend me... Throw things at me, whatever...just tell me what I need to do.... Mtheremismso much conflicting information on the internet now days I don't know which way to turn....

Sacrebleu! I'm a half-marathoner and that is still too much cardio for me to think about! I have to eat so much just at my level...I can't imagine how much you would need to eat to be at an appropriate deficit for that much running and biking. :indifferent:

Will you gain weight when you initially start eating more/cutting back on the cardio? Yes. Probably. But ask yourself this...how long have you been killing yourself, and how long has it been since you stopped seeing results? You might as well give eating properly the good college try, since you're not seeing anything good happening the way you're doing things now.
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    I don't even like cardio and I find it hard to 'give up'. For me it's the burn number. I love to see a high burn...makes me happy, I feel secure in knowing I couldn't possibly have been too lazy if my burns are high.

I'm learning to substitute with HIIT and I am really embracing lifting but I still try to sneak in that extra cardio by power walking my dog instead of just walking my dog...lol. I'm getting better, but....

Basically what it comes down to is figuring out your goals. What are they? What kind of life do you want to lead in terms of how you spend your time? Once you figure that out, then tailor your exercise to fit those goals and be reasonable about the plan. If you love to workout or you are training for something, well...that's fine as long as you eat enough to support it and you watch out for over-training problems....but if it's because of some warped, messed up reality in which you believe it's necessary and you will weigh 600lbs if you don't burn a crapload of cals...that's a different story - in that case you need to back slowly away from the treadmill and head for the safety of the weight room! LOL

I also concur with doing a metabolism reset if you feel you've damaged yours. Make sure you read up on what to expect though, this can be a difficult road to traverse at first and many get scared shortly into the process ESPECIALLY if you are cutting down on cardio at the same time. You are going to freak right out. :tongue:

We are always here to help you through the process...just lean on us when you need to! We all do it. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • amonkey794

HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training. I haven't done it, but I've read about it.

Tabata is straight from Satan :devil: Did that outside this morning and saw stars during the sunrise. :sick:

May I have examples of HIIT? and That didn't answer my question of what Tabata is???
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Just read up on Tabata myself out of curiosity.

Seems to be a 4 minute workout comprised of 2 cycles of 4 exercises. You have 20 sec exercise interval at max intensity followed by 10 sec rest period.

I can imagine its one of those things you read and go "Bah, that don't seem so bad" and end up regretting thinking so by the time you're halfway through.
  • amonkey794

Seems to be a 4 minute workout comprised of 2 cycles of 4 exercises. You have 20 sec exercise interval at max intensity followed by 10 sec rest period.

I can imagine its one of those things you read and go "Bah, that don't seem so bad" and end up regretting thinking so by the time you're halfway through.

4 minutes??? hmm i may want to look into this?
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member

Sacrebleu! I'm a half-marathoner and that is still too much cardio for me to think about! I have to eat so much just at my level...I can't imagine how much you would need to eat to be at an appropriate deficit for that much running and biking. :indifferent:

Will you gain weight when you initially start eating more/cutting back on the cardio? Yes. Probably. But ask yourself this...how long have you been killing yourself, and how long has it been since you stopped seeing results? You might as well give eating properly the good college try, since you're not seeing anything good happening the way you're doing things now.

^^ This. Well except I was more like "holy crap!" That is a LOT of cardio.

I don't even like cardio THAT much but I like the burn, and I like to be able to get to eat more. You are in a COMPLETELY different ballpark than me, my friend.

But it sounds like it's time to change. Dial it down a bit. You wouldn't necessarily need to get rid of all your cardio completely, but think of all the TIME you would have to do other, more fun stuff if you scaled back that time. Even if you add in more weight-lifting time, you'll still have so much free time.

Heck, I was scared just to increase my calories by 200 per day. It's a scary thing, change, but it will be okay. (Increasing my calories eventually got me to my goal weight, by the way.)

Also, for the person who asked, HIIT workouts tend to be about 20 minutes-ish, and have intervals where you alternate intensity. Like, you might run at a warm-up pace for two minutes, then increase the intensity for one minute, decrease intensity for one minute, and so on. Some of the intervals need to be, like SUPER-intense, near your maximum exertion level. *Sigh.* I used to do them for awhile. They were hard work. They're good for you, though. (I don't do them anymore.) Also you can do them on a bike, elliptical, whatever. It's about the exertion level.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member

Yes it is only for minutes, BUT you have to go to your limit, give your everything. It pretty much describes it, that you gonna see stars lol
  • amonkey794

Yes it is only for minutes, BUT you have to go to your limit, give your everything. It pretty much describes it, that you gonna see stars lol

is it in addition to another workout?