Taoist Arts

Options
I have seen much discussion on many primary external martial arts on this form. I am new to the site and to the forum. I have always had an affinity for martial arts and philosophical thought. Knowledge comes to me though skill must be earned through dedication and patience. I have been studying varied arts through media and some wing chun and kenpo through a friend before I moved. I am very interested in increasing my internal energy and control of said energy. Are there any with knowledge of any primary internal arts? All subjects interest me in this respect. Even those outside of martial capabilities.

Replies

• fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I understand the question. a Martial art is a physical (and therefore external) act used to prepare for battle. So do you mean a different internal method (psychological or spiritual) way to prepare for battle?

I can't say I come across these two being linked in the west when you learn martial arts. What I mean by this is it is not taught as an essential part of the syllabus or journey.

I did meet one 7th Dan Jujutsu Sensei who believed a lot in the power of chi and channeling energy during contact and he often demonstrates it.

You will notice that many of the traditional practices are tied with basic principles of energy and a need for balance. I meditate but can't say that this makes me stronger when I train. I wish it did!
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group, not sure how active I will be because as you say it does appear primarily external. I practice Yang style Tai Chi.

Internal martial arts are not just about philosophy and meditation. They are about retraining how your body moves from the inside out. There is a lot of movement going on under the skin that the untrained person can't even see. That invisible movement is what I think of when someone says 'internal.' Meditation is part of it, for very specific physiological reasons. (I enjoy telling my class the story about the drunk Russian who jumped out a fifth story window, twice, and had only a few bruises to show for it.) Philosophy is something fun to do when you're bored. (I admit, Tai Chi does have a really cool philosophy, but try telling that to the rice farmers who invented it.)