a Chip a Chair and a Chance

So this question is aimed at the ladies that do get some messages on online dating but anyone can jump in. So I have mentioned my dating ratio on here as being around 1:35... that is one reply for 35 messages. Now my messages and profile don't need to be broken down, they are just fine. My question is: It seems like such a low risk that could pay off as a pretty big reward for ladies to simply reply to a message... not a date but a friendly message... so why do so many guys have such a low response ratio?? I guess if I thought someone was even remotely attractive or interesting I would at least respond to the first message and see where it goes. Is this just an ego boost?? Are these even real people or just set up to draw in guys?? And lastly why do people join a dating site to not participate?? I was on Okcupid the other date and 90% of the gals had a red dot, meaning they barely ever reply.

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    1 - They may be inactive profiles
    2 - You might just not meet the checklist they have formed in their mind
    3 - They are in it for the ego boost
    4 - You are messaging girls out of your league
    5 - They could be like me, want to respond, don't have time when they read your message, then your message gets buried with other messages. (This is why I have hidden my profile as I am sure I am passing guys up unintentionally).

Those were just off the top of my head
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Because women tend to get a lot of messages, and most of those messages are usually the same.

The subject line will most likely be something like, "Hey!" "Hi." "Hello" followed by an adjective such as "Sexy" "Beautiful" "Cutie".

So if there are a bunch of messages in an inbox, and all of their subject titles look the same... Your message is most likely going to get lost in the other ones. So you might wanna try something funny as the subject line... Even if it's kinda weird/quirky.

Then, the actual content of the message shouldn't just be something like, "Hi, you're beautiful. I want to get to know you."
    Mention something from her profile, don't talk about how pretty she is, and maybe ask her a question. If you ask her a question, you're probably more likely to get a response because then it's not just her saying, "Thanks" or not even knowing what the hell to say because all you said was "Hi".

Messages of actual substance are the ones that are going to get more responses. Something that is going to draw her in and make you seem interesting and stand out from the thousands of other guys messaging her.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Honestly it varies so much for me, I don't have a solid formula. I haven't even been on OkCupid in a month because I'm a weirdo. Sometimes it depends on my anxiety. If I've had a couple beers I respond to everyone. If I'm at the weird stage where the idea of meeting someone from the internet makes me panic, I just log out (been at this threshold for a little bit). Sometimes the message is SO LONG and holy **** it's going to take a while to answer, I'll get back to that... and never do. If I have 5 emails that say "Hi" I ignore them all, but if I only have one or two, I'll say "Hi" right back.

It is what it is. It depends on the person, how they feel, where they are (mentally and physically). There's no one answer that's going to make it any better.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    1 - They may be inactive profiles
    2 - You might just not meet the checklist they have formed in their mind
    3 - They are in it for the ego boost
    4 - You are messaging girls out of your league
    5 - They could be like me, want to respond, don't have time when they read your message, then your message gets buried with other messages. (This is why I have hidden my profile as I am sure I am passing guys up unintentionally).

Those were just off the top of my head

interesting:
    1. This is mostly from POF, so I can see that they have been on recently... otherwise I would never see their profile.

2. Not much a guy can do about that... you would think women would be passing out copies of these checklists, so at least guys have something to shoot for.

3. I think this one is more true that I would hope and they are willing to admit

4. I promise you if anything I'm shanking my kicks to find my online league... I've messaged hot, not, slim, fit, avg, big, lame, busy, funny... I've sent to all sorts.

5. I guess it's just two diff. worlds when it comes to online dating, because if I got a message from someone that like I said I was remotely interested in I'd be in shock... based solely off of my online experience.
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    I read all of my messages and only respond to ones that seem to have put any effort in, even if it is to say that I appreciate the message but.....

What are you saying in your messages to these women?
  • poncho33
    I read all of my messages and only respond to ones that seem to have put any effort in, even if it is to say that I appreciate the message but.....

What are you saying in your messages to these women?

Well to cover Shammxo advice about the subject, POF took the subject out to address that problem.

As for my messages, I usually start out with a greeting, then pick out something in their profile that peeked my interest and comment on it with a question. I mean I try to keep it pretty light, maybe some humor and never over a couple sentences. I usually won't comment on anything physical because they have heard it all before. However I have just to see if I was missing out on something.

What would you consider effort??
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    1. she's probably chatting to too many guys already, or probably seeing someone
    2. the content of your message isn't interesting enough
    3. Youre shooting below your league and she basically thinks you're taking the piss as you're far too good looking for her!
    4. Your profile is rude, arrogant, unromantic, too picky, too serious, too long, too short, not appropriate.....etc..... :laugh:

In your case I would think it's somewhere between the overly confident women being tied up and the women lacking in self esteem thinking you're not serious :flowerforyou:

Bloomin minefield isnt it :huh:
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    I try to respond to all the messages I have gotten, but it's kind of hard sometimes when there's nothing to work with. I gave up on the one word "hi" or "hello" ones, but I did even respond to those at first. Most messages don't have a question in there to make it easy or they don't mention my profile, so it seems they are just sending the same thing out to every woman, so to me, that doesn't feel like an expression of genuine interest. I must admit that sometimes I have read messages and haven't responded for days because I just don't know what to say - there's nothing in the profile or message to help me out.

Why don't people respond? That's a good question. I saw in one guy's profile a little rant in it about how no women have EVER sent him a message ... so I sent him one. Did he reply to me though? Nope. LOL! We weren't really a match anyway. :laugh:

I've had a much better response rate because I send out so few messages. I'm very picky about whom I message and they usually have a lot in common with me already in the profile, so there's lots to talk about. From the dates I've had, I know the guys I've messaged haven't had a lot of responses or contact initiated from women, so that probably helps with my response rate.

I have never contacted anyone on POF that has clicked on the "would like to meet" you button or whatever it is - if you are counting that in your low response rate on that site. I have too many of them in my inbox and too little time, so I have spent my time responding to the men who have actually sent me a message, plus it seems to me that they most likely haven't read my profile and are just going by my picture.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Ok for me its mainly because the messages I get are so blah. Hi Hey cutie . However whenever I get types something nore than 2 lines I do email him back. the only exceptions are guys who are outside my parameters to old or young and to short. It says on my profile not to message me if your below a certain age or height and I feel like if they do then well obviously they didnt read my profile
  • poncho33
    I try to respond to all the messages I have gotten, but it's kind of hard sometimes when there's nothing to work with. I gave up on the one word "hi" or "hello" ones, but I did even respond to those at first. Most messages don't have a question in there to make it easy or they don't mention my profile, so it seems they are just sending the same thing out to every woman, so to me, that doesn't feel like an expression of genuine interest. I must admit that sometimes I have read messages and haven't responded for days because I just don't know what to say - there's nothing in the profile or message to help me out.

Why don't people respond? That's a good question. I saw in one guy's profile a little rant in it about how no women have EVER sent him a message ... so I sent him one. Did he reply to me though? Nope. LOL! We weren't really a match anyway. :laugh:

I've had a much better response rate because I send out so few messages. I'm very picky about whom I message and they usually have a lot in common with me already in the profile, so there's lots to talk about. From the dates I've had, I know the guys I've messaged haven't had a lot of responses or contact initiated from women, so that probably helps with my response rate.

I have never contacted anyone on POF that has clicked on the "would like to meet" you button or whatever it is - if you are counting that in your low response rate on that site. I have too many of them in my inbox and too little time, so I have spent my time responding to the men who have actually sent me a message, plus it seems to me that they most likely haven't read my profile and are just going by my picture.

No I don't mess with that wink and would like to meet crap
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    I suspect that a lot of ladies are on there just to see what the market bears or are hoping for a 10 to contact them and sweep them away with no effort on their part.

To be fair I think lots of guys do the same.
  • poncho33
    I suspect that a lot of ladies are on there just to see what the market bears or are hoping for a 10 to contact them and sweep them away with no effort on their part.

To be fair I think lots of guys do the same.

I suspect the same Carl...

If a guy wanted to get a 10 he should get a mail order bride rather than online date.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    If you are a childless woman in your 20s and are average looking or better, your inbox is flooded.

If you recall, there was a screenshot posted in here with someone having over 600 OKC messages.

There are some things that I have tried to do to increase response rates, and they have worked to a limited extent. I would say my response rates are around 1 in 15 or 1 in 20.

How is your friend of friend network?
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Well, it sounds like you're doing everything right (appropriate messages, writing to a varied group, etc.) so I'm a bit surprised more women aren't responding to you. Are you using the same photos there as on MFP? Maybe there is something there or in your text that could be causing this?
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    I respond to most messages I get but if they just say Hi or Hey your sexy, then no. I do look at their profile and pictures first though. Sometimes when I do reply back I don't get any other communication, go figure. Sounds like you are doing things right, maybe the women you are contacting are just too picky.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Well, something is just not right. Every woman here claims to respond to most civil messages, and you seem to be doing all the right things. And yet, you're a pathetic 1 for 35. Doesn't add up...

I'm actually terrible at rating men, just terrible. I have no sense for it. Having said that, you seem like you're a good looking guy. But again, what do I know?

Which comes to the point of my post: perhaps you're just not that attractive? I mean, it's nothing to be ashamed about. Not everyone is Cary Grant. Perhaps you should focus on less attractive women?

--P
  • poncho33
    If you are a childless woman in your 20s and are average looking or better, your inbox is flooded.

If you recall, there was a screenshot posted in here with someone having over 600 OKC messages.

There are some things that I have tried to do to increase response rates, and they have worked to a limited extent. I would say my response rates are around 1 in 15 or 1 in 20.

I would say even if they do have 1 child they are flooded. Honestly I have tried it all and I wanted to give the online dating a full and open chance... and after seeing all the messages here, I think I did. The simple fact of the matter is, an an avg. to above avg. guy is either going to have to get really lucky or settle when it comes to online dating.

I'm not too worried, I have lots of friends, I'm not shy and I do pretty well at the bar. The reason I got into online dating in the first place was after the break up of my ex, I was down and feeling lazy about finding someone new... so I signed up. I do pretty well in person, I was just hopping not to spend my 30's in bars... but fug-it and to the bar I shall go!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    I'm not too worried, I have lots of friends, I'm not shy and I do pretty well at the bar. The reason I got into online dating in the first place was after the break up of my ex, I was down and feeling lazy about finding someone new... so I signed up. I do pretty well in person, I was just hopping not to spend my 30's in bars... but fug-it and to the bar I shall go!

This. Completely agree.

I just need to find the time to get out. But it's pretty much my only hope.

--P
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    I can't imagine you not getting a response, but you're an attractive guy looking for women at an age where they probably get more traffic. You seem to be doing the right things, and I'd definitely focus more offline.

I typically only respond to those that interest me, but truthfully, that's pretty rare for me online. I get a few messages every day on OKC and POF, but it's been mostly a lot of freaky people (way more on OKC than on POF, which is somehow surprising to me). Just in the last 24 hours, I've gotten an offer from a married guy looking for a regular appt and a 24 year old offering to be my servant and pay my bills. Hilarious to say the least, so I'm not taking the online thing too seriously. It takes a lot to weed through the muck, haha...

I'm thinking I need to start fishing on MFP, haha :laugh:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member

I would say even if they do have 1 child they are flooded. Honestly I have tried it all and I wanted to give the online dating a full and open chance... and after seeing all the messages here, I think I did. The simple fact of the matter is, an an avg. to above avg. guy is either going to have to get really lucky or settle when it comes to online dating.

Don't let Prahasaurus' 'humour' unsettle you, you're freaking gorgeous!! :bigsmile:

And nothing wrong with bars. I'd much prefer to meet a guy in a bar than online. Most guys online are insane!! (another reason you dont get messaged back. Perhaps your eyes emit madness.....lol....j/k) Bring back bar chat is what I say :bigsmile: