Just getting started -- Hi!

Options
Hello all, I started Stronglifts 5x5 for the first time this week. I've done weight lifting for a while, but mostly used barbells and machines, so I'm looking forward to trying out this new way of getting strong! To help me optimize my efforts, I decided to come back to MFP and track my food, so I get the right fuel. Along with gaining strength I'm trying to burn off a persistent gut.

My quads have been stiff since Monday. I'm not new to the gym, but I'm not used to deep squats apparently. I hope that will go away by next week as my body adjusts to the new routine.

As far as food, I've got a diet plan which seems to get me 2000-2300 calories daily, and about 100g of protein. From what I understand, I need more protein (closer to 200), but I already feel like I'm stuffing myself with it at every meal. Any recommendations?

I'm glad this group is here! Great to meet you all!

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Hey.

If you don't want to eat more protein then drink it. Protein shakes work great to get more protein into your diet without adding too many calories.

As for the quads, I'd say keep working through the soreness and stiffness. Don't work through pain though. It'll come down to a bearable level. Another thing you can try is creatine supplements. They really helped with that in the beginning for me.

Happy Lifting :happy:
  • snoopy7501
    snoopy7501 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Great suggestion. I do already add a scoop of vanilla whey protein into my breakfast smoothie every morning, and then have a couple of scoops post-workout on days I lift. Maybe I'll add one more protein shake before bed each night or something. I think I'm worried that getting too much of my protein from powder is "cheating" somehow. :ohwell: Thanks for the response and the encouragement!

I finally got a copy of Starting Strength yesterday, and the very detailed instructions on how to do a squat correctly were really helpful. Even after watching Medhi's youtube videos and everything, I still haven't been doing it quite right. I'd recommend Rippetoe's book to other SL newbies.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I finally got a copy of Starting Strength yesterday, and the very detailed instructions on how to do a squat correctly were really helpful. Even after watching Medhi's youtube videos and everything, I still haven't been doing it quite right. I'd recommend Rippetoe's book to other SL newbies.

Fantastic book, it's become my bible - wish I'd had it years ago. Welcome, and best of luck!