Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

outside and timing

zadowd
zadowd Posts: 44 Member
I would like to start running outside but rely to much on my treadmills timer. I don't want to be staring at my wrist all the time and lose good form. And trust me I stare at the timer just waiting for the moment I can walk!! So for those of you that do run outside what do you use to time yourself?

Replies

• I'm using one of the apps so I go by that and I STILL end up looking at my iTouch in the hopes that whatever interval I'm running will be over soon. ;-)
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    I used jog log (iphone app) for voice prompts.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    I got a watch with a stop watch on it. I don't have a smart hone so no apps...
  • PurpleMilly
    PurpleMilly Posts: 21 Member
    I have a C25K app for my android phone, it's really good. And I have just about weaned myself off checking it all the time to see how long is left
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    iPhone C25k app, but I also use MapMyRun app as well for time, speed, and distance.
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    iphone C25K app from ZenLabs (free!) and Nike+Running app that logs my mileage (also free!).
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 770 Member
    I'm doing C25K on time with my watch instead of the app. When the intervals got long enough I'd tell myself I couldn't look at my watch until X number of songs had played on my running mix, or until I passed a big landmark at the park or a small landmark 15 feet ahead (you know, the pretty flower, the piece of litter... that kind of thing). It helped me trick myself into just moving and not obsessing over time. Well, sometimes...
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    I'm doing C25K on time with my watch instead of the app. When the intervals got long enough I'd tell myself I couldn't look at my watch until X number of songs had played on my running mix, or until I passed a big landmark at the park or a small landmark 15 feet ahead (you know, the pretty flower, the piece of litter... that kind of thing). It helped me trick myself into just moving and not obsessing over time. Well, sometimes...

That's exactly what I've been doing - no looking till I pass that car or the blue house or whatever....otherwise I'm staring at my phone and panting....:sad: <
    me sweating!
  • I use the C25k app for my iphone so that I don't have to focus on time. When I run on a treadmill, I put a towel over the "time elapsed" box so that I don't have to see it. If I'm focused on how much time I still have to go, I won't make it. I just have to kind of try to zone out. If I'm focusing on time, I start despairing, which makes running about 1000x harder for me.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    I'm using the NHS C25k podcasts (free), I listen to them through my iPhone and never look at a watch or the time. I wait for Laura to tell me when to stop running, she usually tells you when you're half way through and again 1 minute before the end of running. I try to focus on the music or let my mind drift into thinking mode. The more I think about how much longer there is to run the harder I find it, if I allow my thoughts to drift then before I know it she's telling me there's only one more minute to go.
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    I just have to kind of try to zone out. If I'm focusing on time, I start despairing, which makes running about 1000x harder for me.

This is exactly me as well. I love that zoned out feeling.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    I use Run Keeper and have set up my intervals on there. That way I get to listen to my music, and get audio cues and it links to my Fitocracy too :smile:
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 323 Member

^^^^^^ This is what I do.. but I do it inside on the treadmill so I don't just stare at the timer on the treadmill.... for example I'll tell myself that I won't check the time until a commercial comes on or until the show on TV comes back on from commercial.. even if I am not really "watching" it... it's hard for me to focus on anything other than not falling when I run.. but I use the TV as a distraction.. Haven't worked up to running outside yet.... maybe my next challenge will be doing C25K outside??