rethinking my activity level--may I have your opinion?

I wish the scooby calc had more categories, because I'm not sure if I fit into "light" or "moderate." What do you think?

I have a desk job, but I walk an average of 9,000 steps each day.

Exercise:
Heavy lifting 3x week for 35 minutes (continuous) = 105 minutes
Cardio 1-2 times per week for 35 or 40 minutes = 35 to 75 minutes
Pilates 1 time per week for 60 minutes (would this be considered "light" exercise?)

So if I do cardio one time, my total minutes = 200
If I do it two times, my total minutes = 240

Replies

• I would call it moderate! (:
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    That sounds really similar to what I do and I am set at moderate.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I wish the scooby calc had more categories, because I'm not sure if I fit into "light" or "moderate." What do you think?

I have a desk job, but I walk an average of 9,000 steps each day.

Exercise:
    Heavy lifting 3x week for 35 minutes (continuous) = 105 minutes
    Cardio 1-2 times per week for 35 or 40 minutes = 35 to 75 minutes
    Pilates 1 time per week for 60 minutes (would this be considered "light" exercise?)

So if I do cardio one time, my total minutes = 200
    If I do it two times, my total minutes = 240

Use the spreadsheet linked in this topic. Bottom of the TDEE tab is a new calculator to let you add up different levels of activity.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/677905-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calc-macro-calc-hrm
  • bellabrite
    bellabrite Posts: 89 Member
    Thanks guys!

Thanks for the spreadsheet -- it's really interesting to plug in my exercise numbers! I like how I can plug in minutes of walking/light activity (and I can get those numbers from my fitbit reports which tells you how long you are lightly/fairly/moderately active each day.

Now I just have to get a realistic idea of my averages -- weekends and vacation are just so different from work days, and one weekend varies from the next. Some weekends I am so active, and some I am totally lazy.

I have a fitbit, which has been great, but it's still early and I'm trying to fine-tune my numbers.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 578 Member
    Very similar to mine, and I go by moderate. I'm eating 2000 calories a day and still losing.
  • bellabrite
    bellabrite Posts: 89 Member
    My average burn for the last 30 days according to my fitbit is 2160. But that includes probably 10 days of weekends or vaca where I was way more sedentary than I am on a normal workday/workout day. My burns vary from 1900 on a less active day to 2200-2500 on a workday.

Using the best possible estimates I can come up with for walking each day (about 4 hours of walking/light activity), heybales' spreadsheet gave me a TDEE of 2244.

I have actually been eating at 2100 for about 10 weeks now, and have recently started wondering if I shouldn't be eating 100-200 calories more. This may confirm it! But I know it takes time to really calibrate.

I hope I can begin to be a little more consistent both with my burns and my eating. Well, particularly my eating.