RMR Test Done... Now What?

Spokez70
Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
Today I went in for a RMR Test to evaluate my Resting Metabolic Rate. It was a breathing test called MetaCheck where I breathed into a machine for about 15 minutes. I did no exercise for 48hrs and fasted for 12hrs prior to taking the test.

Test Results came back as follows:
3,427 Cals – RMR / Resting Energy Expenditure
1,026 Cals – Add for Lifestyle & Activity
428 Cals – Add for Exercise (Est. 30 Min Daily)
4,881 Cals – Calories / Day Total Energy Output

Calories / Day Energy Input Zones were as follows:
Maintenance Zone: 3,427 - 4,453 Calories
Weight Loss Zone: 2,743 - 3,427 Calories
Supervised Zone: 2,743 – 0 Calories
Overall Metabolic Rate – Fast (+45%)

The report went on to say that by following the above recommendations I would be at my goal weight (down 20lbs from 260lbs to 240lbs) in 6 weeks doing nothing and in 5 weeks with 30 minutes per day of moderate exercise. (This seems crazy I’m definitely not looking to shed 4lbs per week for the next 5 weeks.)

But overall I’m really not sure how to interpret all of this. I just recently cut my calories back from 3,200 to 2,800 since I’ve kind of been stuck at this weight for a few months. I exercise a lot more than 30 minutes ‘moderately’ per day as I try to lift 2x a week and probably spend 6-10 hours a week cycling and mountain biking. I don’t usually eat my exercise calories back since they were built in to the above numbers. Generally it seems like good news I don’t have a slow metabolism. But based on this maybe I should have went the other direction and added some calories? Seems like if you take the added exercise into account I’m probably eating in the supervised zone and maybe even was borderline at 3,200.

FWIW the person who administered the test and reviewed the results with me interpreted it to mean I should eat at least 2,743 calories on non-exercise days and at least 3,427 calories on exercise days (which again- they define as a 30 minute walk.) Any advice on all this would be greatly appreciated.

The test was performed by Prime Physical Therapy as described here: http://primephysicaltherapy.com/Services.html

Resting Metabolic Testing
This 15 minute metabolism test is the fastest, reliable and now most affordable way to determine your metabolic rate. If you have always thought your metabolism is slow, now is the time to find out. Our trained professionals will set you in a reclined relaxing atmosphere and ask you to breath easily for 12-15 minutes while our KORR metabolic machine does the rest. Following the test a print out of your information is given to your technician and the results are discussed with you.

Replies

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 578 Member
    How fun would it be to have to eat 4000 calories a day to maintain? I'm jealous.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    That is incredible, and making me doubt the test.

Did you bring in an airbag from someone else breathing into it, thinking this might be like a urine drug test? :laugh:

I guess that could be that high unless you just had major problems calming down in the 15 min or machine wasn't calibrated prior.

So how does that RMR compare to BMR and estimated bodyfat%?

Because studies have shown the energy needs of LBM are pretty set and close and reliably accurate.

The spreadsheet on BMR/TDEE tab has BMR section with RMR to the right. Plug in tested number, along with correct stats as known at the top of course.
    It'll show you the BMR based on the same LBM that would cause that high reading, and the bodyfat% that it must be for your current weight.

If everything is within 10%, then close enough. If outside, then they may have meant something else by RMR, many do that sometimes.
    The report seems to indicate this is 45% higher than expected for age, weight, height. Which I'm hoping they at least put those stats in.

As far as other stuff the machine spit out, like how in the world could you possibly have a maintenance zone that starts at RMR, unless you literally were going to sit around and rest all day long.
    I never trust anything outside the true measurement the machine is doing, and even that better be calibrated.

It would be great if they could give you the VO2 and VCO2 values, as that also determines what ratio of carbs to fat you were burning while resting. Interesting too.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member

my thought...
  • heybales
    my thought...

Well, it is a good machine with good testing results.
    http://www.korr.com/products/files/metacheck-clinical_eval.pdf

Just depends on the calibration and testing technician.

http://www.korr.com/products/metacheck-info-specs.php

Now, it is interesting that the RMR calc method assumes an RQ of 0.83.

Mine prior to a VO2max test, just the 3 min sitting rest prior, was 0.8.

And Volume of O2 and RQ determine cal/min and the ratio of carbs to fat.

I'll have to peek at my spreadsheet with formula's as to what that assumption could mean in the end, may not mean much.
  • Spokez70

I think it seems way off too but I have no idea how accurate these things are
    I guess that could be that high unless you just had major problems calming down in the 15 min or machine wasn't calibrated prior.

I felt completely calm- I don't know. They had me breath into the machine for several minutes before starting the test. I tried to breath as normal as possible but kind of difficult with the whole on your face.
    So how does that RMR compare to BMR and estimated bodyfat%?

Because studies have shown the energy needs of LBM are pretty set and close and reliably accurate.

The spreadsheet on BMR/TDEE tab has BMR section with RMR to the right. Plug in tested number, along with correct stats as known at the top of course.
    It'll show you the BMR based on the same LBM that would cause that high reading, and the bodyfat% that it must be for your current weight.

If everything is within 10%, then close enough. If outside, then they may have meant something else by RMR, many do that sometimes.
    The report seems to indicate this is 45% higher than expected for age, weight, height. Which I'm hoping they at least put those stats in.

They put my age weight and height into the machine. I don't really know my body fat- I think it's around 25%- that puts me at 2446 per the spreadsheet which seems more in line with reality.
    As far as other stuff the machine spit out, like how in the world could you possibly have a maintenance zone that starts at RMR, unless you literally were going to sit around and rest all day long.
    I never trust anything outside the true measurement the machine is doing, and even that better be calibrated.

It would be great if they could give you the VO2 and VCO2 values, as that also determines what ratio of carbs to fat you were burning while resting. Interesting too.

The V02 value was visible on the machine- I didn't watch it all the time but saw it from 4.0 to 4.5 when I looked. Nothing about it on the report though.

Maybe I should call them Monday and complain the machine must be out of calibration? See if they would repeat the test.
  • Spokez70
    The other odd thing is that despite the weird way it got there the final numbers are not that far off.

RMR Report:
    Weight Loss Zone: 2,743 - 3,427 Calories

Spreadsheet:
    Activity Level calculator (Katch or Mifflin BMR * multiplier) Multiplier TDEE
    Sedentary - little or no exercise, desk job 1.2 2,737
    Lightly Active - light exercise/sports 1-3 hrs or days a week 1.375 3,136
    Moderately Active - moderate exercise/sports 3-5 hrs or days a week 1.55 3,535
  • heybales
    They put my age weight and height into the machine. I don't really know my body fat- I think it's around 25%- that puts me at 2446 per the spreadsheet which seems more in line with reality.

The V02 value was visible on the machine- I didn't watch it all the time but saw it from 4.0 to 4.5 when I looked. Nothing about it on the report though.

Maybe I should call them Monday and complain the machine must be out of calibration? See if they would repeat the test.

Perhaps just ask how often they calibrate it, because you are surprised by the 45% over expected and curious.

Only concern is where that assumed RER of .83 comes into play, because I checked my resting, .76.

Ask if you can have the stat that was used in the calculations for VO2 and VCO2. Figure everything else out from that.

RER = VCO2 / VO2
    Calories per L O2 = (1.2318 * RER) + 3.8151
    Calories per min = Cal/L O2 * VO2
    % Carb usage = (RER^2 * -87.0843) + (RER * 489.7265) - 302.6869

So the Cal/min * 1440 is your RMR.
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Something isn't right. RMRs are usually in the 1200 to 1600 range. I don't think it's even possible to have an RMR in the high 2000. Maybe total daily energy expenditure but not resting metabolic rate. I did the same test and it came to 1478 and she said it was very high compared to most peoples.
  • Spokez70
    So the Cal/min * 1440 is your RMR.

Now I'm completely lost- that's 1000 calories UNDER what the spreadsheet indicates.

Edit- Sorry I read that again I see what you are saying.
  • heybales
    Ok, Cunningham formula for estimating RMR based on Lean Body Mass, pretty accurate study.

RMR = 22 * LBM in kg + 500.

Working backwards to LBM since you have RMR figure 3427, that would imply a LBM of 133 kg.
    Or 293 lbs.

So at 261 lbs, That can't be correct.

Or your LBM uses a lot more energy than studies have found on anyone else, and fat stores probably do also in that case.

The BMR that would go with that RMR also based on LBM, would be 3244.

Well, only one way to find out. Eat at a deficit to the supposed TDEE based more on your real activity level and see if you lose weight.

BTW, if you enter BF% stat as -12.4, then the BMR is set to 3244.

Moderately Active would be 5000 calories.

15% deficit this close to goal weight would be 4275.

Why am I doubting all this?
  • Spokez70
    I thought about this all weekend. My conclusion is even if I called them and they reworked the test for me- and even if the second time it was more in line with expectations- how could I ever trust it? I'm just thankful whatever went haywire didn't go the other direction and come back telling me my metabolism was really slow -45% etc. because I would have been more inclined to believe that and made some drastic adjustment. At this point I think it's better to just keep moving forward with what has been successful in the past and make minor adjustments as needed.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Your numbers do seem high, but (not sure how tall you are) you are a bit bigger of a guy and being an electrician your either on your feet all day, on a ladder, or crawling around so pretty active.. I am not surprised by those numbers, I would probably give them a shot and eat at the deficit it informed you to and see if you keep losing, or if your losing now just keep at it but then if you plateau I would definitely increase calories.. depending on your height you might still have a bit to lose and if you came from 322, depending how quick you lost all that weight (nice job btw) your metabolism might still be running pretty high as the test indicated.. if you start gaining weight then you know the machine was off, if you keep losing.. it was on.