Extending (or repeating) a stage

ebaymommy
ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
I'm thinking about doing Stage 2 either two weeks longer than suggested (so at 2x a week working out I'd do each workout 6 times instead of 4) or repeating it back-to-back (so 8 total of each workout instead of 4).

My reason? I'm running a marathon a week from Sunday and I've really been struggling with some low back/hip/IT band pain on my left side that (thanks to my new chiropractor) I think I've got sorted out and am on my way to healing.

So I've done half of my Stage 2 workouts now but I'm not really pushing myself too hard. I'm thinking that I will only want to lift Mon/Wed next week, then take the rest of the week off. The marathon is the 23rd and I probably won't lift for at least 3-4 days afterward either, so I'll end up with at least a full week off. If I lift on Mon/Wed I will have 3/4 of my Stage 2 workouts done.

If I get back into it after the marathon maybe still not pushing too hard that would technically be the end of Stage 2 for me. But if I repeated it again I'd have the chance to push my weight progressions up and concentrate on the HIIT instead of the steady state cardio running that I've had to do lately.

Sound like a reasonable plan?

Replies

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 574 Member
    Sounds completely reasonable. Good luck with your marathon!
  • It wouldn't hurt you a bit, you'd likely go up in weight too. I think it's a solid idea. If you get bored then move on after 2, 4, 6 extra workouts.
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    I'm planning to "restart" stage 2 on Monday! I just haven't been consistent enough to feel like I should move on... So restarting sounds like the best idea for me! Good luck with your marathon! And with the chiropractor!