Wow, lots of Keto-hate going on in the general boards

Options
I'm really glad there's a Keto community on here. The general boards and full of LOTS of people who think keto will kill you.

Replies

• leftoverbun
    leftoverbun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's just the fear of the unknown. Before a year ago I dismissed anytime anyone brought up low carb. There is more than one way to skin a cat, I later found out.

Low carb is great for lazy folks who want to lose fast without exercising. I think the folks to do low calorie with lots of workouts resent that.
  • norabolt
    Options
    True. There's a lot of misinformation out there too. I've been told multiple times that not eating carbs puts your body in an "acidic state" and can make you diabetic (???)
  • Keto_Keith
    Options
    True. There's a lot of misinformation out there too. I've been told multiple times that not eating carbs puts your body in an "acidic state" and can make you diabetic (???)

People don't understand the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis and how blood sugar and insulin levels work. They have done zero research and are not fit to comment on it. Low carb diets can literally "cure" Type II diabetes.
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I need to stop reading the general boards regarding this, I find myself raging whenever I reply to some idiotic quackery or hearsay garbage.
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    People really need to research before having an opinion what works for some may not for others. I've got pcos and insulin resistance and that makes it a lit tougher to lose weight. I tried low calorie and fat for over a year with little result, always hungry and made me binge now i'm following a keto lifestyle I've seen more results in a shorter period of time and i'm never hungry.
  • Jen92129
    Jen92129 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this discussion board via a post on Reddit. I had to stop reading the general forums because there's a lot of anger and hate there towards keto.

I've been on this now for 16 days (started on the 1st), I've lost 15lbs, and the only concern I have now is that my BP shot up way high. But I'm seeing my GP for that next Monday so hopefully we'll find out the cause of the problem.

I'm vworp-vworp on Reddit, and I'm always open to adding friends here. I'm also experimenting with new recipes that are carb free (I'm a baker, so I've had to stop baking in order to break myself from the flour and sugar addiction). I suppose I can start making crustless quiches and other keto friendly things now. Bring on the meatloaf cupcakes!

28825164.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Dree3
    Dree3 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The way people eat is pretty much on the same level as discussing politics or religion. Everyone has their firm beliefs, and they typically won't budge on them. I don't even bother discussing it anymore unless asked, and even then I keep it short but sweet. I just say I've cut sugars and starches, and leave it at that.

That said, I have converted a few friends and family to keto since starting, so I'll take the little victories and not worry about the fools who'd rather be sucking down sugar. :D
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The general boards here are terrible for *everything*.

Dieting, lifestyle, religion, politics, etc. Whatever it may be. They are pretty much the yahoo answers of fitness forums.

I pretty much only read/reply to them for comedic value/trolling. Occasionally its fun to go into a ridiculously misinformed thread though and watch the rage after discussing keto. Also the one or two friend adds i'll get after make it worth it, theres lots of LC'ers out there, they just lurk.
  • saintsfanatik
    saintsfanatik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad there's a Keto community on here. The general boards and full of LOTS of people who think keto will kill you.

Haters gonna Hate.

Keep Calm, and Keto On!
  • Jen92129
    Jen92129 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, when one of the top discussions on the general boards is how one gal is being driven crazy by Christian Grey, I know it's time for me to make my permanent exit out of there. Crikey.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    The general boards here are terrible for *everything*.

Dieting, lifestyle, religion, politics, etc. Whatever it may be. They are pretty much the yahoo answers of fitness forums.

I pretty much only read/reply to them for comedic value/trolling. Occasionally its fun to go into a ridiculously misinformed thread though and watch the rage after discussing keto. Also the one or two friend adds i'll get after make it worth it, theres lots of LC'ers out there, they just lurk.

Quoted for truth. Amen.
  • keeperofaframer
    Options
    What works for some may not work for others...but not in regards to Keto! :) I have tried every stupid diet out there, and this is the only thing that has worked for me. So yes I am a believer in all things holy in regards to my consumption of bacon and heavy cream. I only use my fitness pal to count my calories and to monitor my carb/fat/protein intake. It is hard to convince others, but hey, if they want to hate on us then let them...but at least we have found something that works (look at all of that fat you guys have dropped:O) and if they don't want to partake in it fine by me, they are the ones that are missing out in my own opinion. Going back to my hole now!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    A month or so I would have been a cynic when it came to Ketosis, I then did a little reading and decided to give it a try, 3 weeks and 15lbs down im a convert, Im hardly hungry, i'm sleeping better, and the weight seems to be falling off (Which it had stopped doing a while back on low calorie). Have to say im finding no carbs hard simply because I love bread but to be honest im wondering if i'll actually find it hard to eat.