Reduced carbs and EXHAUSTED

Options
meghanner
meghanner Posts: 180 Member
I recently started experimenting with lowering my carb intake by TOTALLY going grain free. I previously would include some low allergen gluten free grains. The first week in (last week), I felt great. Digestion was at it's peak, I was satiated and happy. The last two days I can barely drag myself out of bed. I feel dizzy, tired, breathless and terrible. My weight has dropped and I'm going to include some more carbs today up to about 70-90 to see how I feel. Anyone else have this reaction?

A little background, I have a low body fat already (about 12-14% and at 5'4.5" I weigh 108.5). I trail run 2-4x week, bodyrock and use the TRX/Treadmill.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    No, I don't have that experience and I eat very low carb, but I eat LOTS of fat, so maybe that helps? I have killer energy, I'm happier, and just overall "kicking it" by not eating grains, legumes, etc. No complaints; I'm a super healthy fat-burning machine. Perhaps since you are slim already and very active, extra carbs are beneficial. I will certainly eat more (but still no grains and legumes) once I get to where I should be.

Are you trying to lose weight? I hope not... and I hope that you are eating enough; that's something else to consider since you are so active.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Much appreciated! I just had 2 huge lamb chops and a quarter of an acorn squash for dinner and my body is loving the extra fat and bit of paleo friendly carbs. I think the issue may be too few calories too. It's hard to shift from losing to just maintaining.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    The first thing I think of is you mentioned you "recently went totally grain free". I'm assuming this is lower carb than normal for you. Remember most grains have addictive properties (literally chemically addictive) and dropping carbs when you havent programmed your body to burn fat yet will leave you completely spent. Some call it the carb flu and the symptoms can vary - but all subside. Honestly I'd stick it out. Saying that you do some heavy cardio work may require additional carbs at first.

And I agree - its "easy" to lose weight. I've found it harder to maintain / build muscle without building fat.

And yes, eat more fat ;)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I think this is very normal for starting this diet, and can take up to 4 weeks to subside as your body gets used to burning fat instead of sugar... I am 2 weeks in and some days I have no energy, very irritable, and the first few days I had night sweats...some days I am OK if I incorprate some sweet potato or butternut squash, or some fruit to get some carbs, working out is totally off , very little energy , cardio is a huge no no I guess when starting out, I still try to get some in as I am a cardio queen, and started more strength training. ONly lost a pound inthe last 2 weeks, but with the weight training i'm hoping I am gaining muscle, can't really go by scale on this diet I guess, I will go by how my clothes fit and how i feel. Hoping after the next 2 weeks my energy level is back.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My guess is it's a combo of carb flu, low calories, and not enough fat. Since you're not trying to lose weight and you do a lot of cardio, you should make sure you get enough good fat and carbs to fuel that, or you could f*#$ up your adrenals if you go too low for too long with lots of cal burn.

Mark Sisson recommends 50-100g of carbs/day for weight loss, and 100-150g/day for maintenance. So... seems like you could increase your carbs to at least 100g/day. But the carbs don't need to come from grains at all... choose things like carrots, avocados, sunchokes, all the wonderful squashes in season, yams, etc. Eating a 1/2 sweet potato after a workout is pretty common in the paleo world if you in maintenance mode.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    My guess is it's a combo of carb flu, low calories, and not enough fat. Since you're not trying to lose weight and you do a lot of cardio, you should make sure you get enough good fat and carbs to fuel that, or you could f*#$ up your adrenals if you go too low for too long with lots of cal burn.

Mark Sisson recommends 50-100g of carbs/day for weight loss, and 100-150g/day for maintenance. So... seems like you could increase your carbs to at least 100g/day. But the carbs don't need to come from grains at all... choose things like carrots, avocados, sunchokes, all the wonderful squashes in season, yams, etc. Eating a 1/2 sweet potato after a workout is pretty common in the paleo world if you in maintenance mode.

I Checked yesterdays day, I ate 81g of carbs, today Im exhausted, not going to work out, but TOM is coming soon, maybe that could be effecting me as well... who knows, lol...just making a huge batch of sweet potato now!! and will start having one after a workout too :) thanks!