Calories for Conditioning

Options
Hey everyone! I am currently halfway through Stage 1 and I am loving it! In addition to my three NROLFW workouts per week I sometimes do some HIIT and I play Ultimate frisbee one night a week. A girl I work with plays women's football and I am considering joining the team but am not sure how the extra conditioning/cardio would effect my progress with NROLFW. The team conditions twice a week right now (the season hasn't started yet) and I'm not sure how often it'll be during the season, not to mention weekly games.

Since I will be burning a lot of extra calories during the week I am wondering what the best way to go about calculating my calorie needs would be. Should I set MFP for my maintenance calories (minus a 200-300, maybe since I still have some stubborn belly fat to lose) and then use my HRM to track and eat back exercise cals? Or should I use the calculations in the NROLFW book, the twice-a-day workout option?

I know that I typically burn 250-300 during my lifting workouts and somewhere between 750 and 1000 at an Ultimate frisbee game. I know it may not be realistic to eat back an extra 1000+ calories but I really don't know what is the best option. Any input from people currently doing the NROLFW program while also engaging in sports several times a week would be highly appreciated! Thanks!!

Oh, my stats in case it's helpful: female, 25 years old, 5'4", 120lbs

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Hey there I do NR and play football (soccer). We train one night a week and play games on Sundays so with this schedule I only get one day a week complete rest. I'm 5' 10" and 160lbs and a typical training session is about 900 - 1200 cals and a game is about 1200 - 1500 cals I play on the wing so I do a lot of sprinting. I try to plan to eat more to counteract the burn for sports but it doesn't always work out. I just eat as much as I feel like and know that sometimes game days will have me netting low but I look at my calorie intake as a weekly thing so it all balances out. I would just stick with your workout calorie day and add a little extra carbs see how you feel :)
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would go ahead and use that fat2fitradio.com calculator - for very active or extremely active. :)
    And just adjust based on your rate of loss - if it matches up to what you like or not. :)