clothes and skin

Options
Hi! I'm new to this group and I have a few questions that I need answered. I am in the process of getting an appointment to have an evaluation for weight loss surgery. The information I have read on this site has been truly eye opening but there's some things I'd still like to know. For instance, how difficult was it maintaining your wardrobe with the changes you experienced? I don't have a lot of funds to buy new clothes every two weeks. I know that there are issues with excess skin as well. Are there any tips or tricks or lotions that you may use to help retain elasticity and help reduce the sagging and excess skin. I really appreciate your input. Thanks!

Replies

• Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have a LapBand, and my weight loss is fairly slow. I carry my weight in my lower half, so it's mostly pants I need to keep buying. I can get away with wearing jeans to work most of the time, so as long as I have two pairs of jeans and a few pairs of shorts for at home, I'm good. So it's not too costly. You can find some good stuff at thrift stores too, I hear.

As for excess skin, it depends on how quickly you lose weight. Since I'm a slow loser and am at about the halfway mark, it hasn't been a problem yet. I think it's really going to depend on how fast you lose weight and your genetics. Creams can only help so much.

But really, these are minor problems. I feel so good emotionally and physically that all the downsides are worth it 10 times over. I can walk anywhere and keep up with my family again. I can play on the floor with my little boy. I can fit in booths at restaurants and in roller coasters. I can even jog half a mile! I love my new life.
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    I had RNY on 5-9-12 ans so far I am still wearing the clothes I have. some are items I could not fit into like shorts and tops and other are still the 3-5xl tops.

the best thing I could tell you is to go to like Good Will or Salvation Army thrift stores or any other thrift stores in your area. this way if you spend $3 for a pair of pants and $2 for a top if wont break the bank.

my doc office has like a clothes exchange. take in things that other can use that are in good shape and then see if there is something you can use. I took in a small bag of mostly tops since I lost my chest and I was able to get a size 22 pair of jeans. I will have to loose more weight to fit into them but it will be worth it.

hope it helps you out
  • tammylsomers
    Options
    Thanks! I am certain I will go through this process but wondered how to deal with those issues. I appreciate the info.
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My wife had a gastric bypass oct 2010 and I had mine April 2012. She has lost 150 lbs and thus far I'm down 100 lbs. She does a good bit of shopping at Goodwill stores. You would be amazed at the clothes that are there to buy. Some of it still with store tags on it.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I has gastric bypass (RNY) on March 23, 2012. I stayed in my size 16/18's for about 2 months post-surgery. However, I live in pull on/track pants for about 1 month post surgery because I didn't want anything touching my tummy after that surgery.

I dropped pretty rapidly (down 76 lbs!) and am in size 13's now. Because of this, I AM able to shop at stores where the clothes are cheaper (less fabric, less cost, right?). Living on my own and being self-sufficient has definitely taught me the limits of clothes shopping. I don't have lots of money, neither, but I'd say since about May, I've had to buy 2 pairs of pants a month to alternate at work (while also getting away with some pants I kept from when I was smaller). I just "invested" in a pair of size 13 jeans for a whole whopping $12.00 at a teen girls clothing store here in my city. It was a great feeling.

As for loose skin, the only spot I have it is on my arms, but I'm working very hard to tone it up because it embarrasses me. However, it comes with the surgery, and it's not something that should stop you from bettering yourself and getting your life and health in order. If it really becomes an issue (i.e. gets infected all the time), there are surgeries to get rid of it, but insurance doesn't usually cover it unless in the rare circumstance of infection (at least here in Canada, at any rate, because liposuction is considered a cosmetic procedure).
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    As for the lose skin honey i cream most everywhere and no cream wont help toning muscle asap WILL help as you do tend to lose muscle mass when you have a rny!
    but saying that my skin is soo soft better than it ever has been! :)

as for clothes,i live in leggins and long skirts(elasticated) so they will fit for a long time! and shop off ebay for a while untill you get a idea of whet size you can get down to! So much cheaper and sell your old clothes on there too!
  • Wellypeep
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm just waiting for the date for my RNY so this was a really helpful post for me too - thanks for all the tips!
  • tammylsomers
    Options
    The weight loss just astounds me! Keep up the hard work!
  • Barbara2420
    Barbara2420 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi- I had RNY 2/28/12. For a while, the bagginess of the previously snug clothing was just such a novel feeling. When I started to go down a few sizes, I visited thrift stores and used ebay. I will continue to do this until I settle on a size. As others have said, the quality of clothing in thrift stores is amazing--who knew?! As for baggy skin, yes that is an issue for me. I walk and exercise on a daily basis as well as treating my skin with various creams, but there is only so much you can do. Of course, the fact that I am over 60 (I may just be the oldest on this site!) has much to do with my skin non-elasticity. With all of this considered, would I still have the surgery--you bet! No more need for C-PAP, no longer diabetic, off several hypertension meds......I can walk and exercise. Life is good.
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery on Aug 28th - so tomorrow will be 3 weeks out. Since the two weeks prior to the surgery, I've lost 35lbs, but overall 45 since I started the process. Just since that two weeks prior to surgery, I've gone down two pants sizes. I've gone from a 28 jean to a 24 and that is big on me now as well. Shirts, I've gone down a size in. I live in a very small town where we have Walmart and a tiny mall. Choices around here are very limited. However, there is a thrift store that does $1.00 clothing one Friday a month - I go to that and stock up on clothes - I've bought anything I could find that I liked in sizes 2-3 smaller than what I was starting out in knowing at some point I'd be in it. I also check out the Salvation Army and Catholic Charities stores regularly. I don't think I've spent more than $25 and I've gotten 10 shirts, a blouse, 3 sweaters, a hoodie, a suede jacket (from Wilson's leather).

Thrift shops will be your best friend!!!

Also, the support group that I attend does a clothing swap which will be a huge plus for me.

I have the added benefit of being a stay at home mom, so I don't have to worry about having a certain wardrobe for work, so I can get by wearing most anything - ie jeans/tshirts.

The one thing I refused to do - someone told me to just keep wearing my big shirts and use a belt. I am way too excited and proud to be getting out of those sizes that i do not want to have to keep wearing them any longer than I have to - belt or not. So the minute something is outgrown, I get rid of it. I have no plans on ever returning to a size 28 or 4/5x.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery in May of this year, I didn't really care how my house clothes fit but my work clothes has to be profession and I don't often get a casual Friday :(

I started in May wearing 22's and 2-3 x's even though I had already lost almost 30lbs pre surgery I had not shrunk much. I kept wearing those clothes until August when I was easily a 14-16, large to 1x. I hit a JC Pennys sale and bought a weeks work of work clothes to the tune of $200, I expect I'll be wearing them until I'm an 8-10 maybe longer, it just depends on how funny it all looks. The money I spent was offset by the money I saved on my monthly medication, eating out, and the grocery bill over those few months. So while there is nothing wrong with thrift shopping you might be surprised that you actually have a little in the budget left over to indulge with.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I had my lap band surgery in August of 2011 and have gone from a 34 (tight) to a 22/24. I love Goodwill. Also, consignment shops. And, anytime anyone I know runs across a clearance sale they buy me smaller sizes. I just keep everything in a tote and go thru it a couple times a month to swap out sizes. It's like shopping in your own home.

As for the sagging skin - start now with the strength training/weight lifting. It will help a great deal. Better than any "miracle cream" ever thought of being.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Don't buy new for awhile. But enjoy the moments when you are always pulling up the pants! As for skin, it really depends on how much you lose and how much elastin is still in your skin. It is best to wait at least a year and a half or even two years after you have reached your goal weight before considering plastics which most likely will NOT be covered by any health insurance you may have, unless it is medically necessary, I'm thinking of trying out a body wrap offered by some esthetics salons, if it doesn't help, at least I'll have had a day at the spa!
  • tammylsomers
    Options
    Thanks for the great suggestions! Mentioning how much money I'll save on my meds and grocery bill not to mention eating out is something I hadn't considered. Yay shopping!
  • Wellypeep
    Options
    Thanks, it's been hard work but I'm really starting to feel the benefit of the weight loss now. Getting really excited about my surgery too. I know I could lose all the weight I need to but from my prior experience of losing a lot of weight and putting it all on again, I know I need a tool to help me manage on a lifelong basis :smile:
  • authormarieskye
    authormarieskye Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a website established to donate clothing. I donated bags and bags and bags of clothing to the goodwill. Course me being that person that doesn't notice when i'm losing weight, took my underwear falling off at work for me realize "oh you know maybe i have lost weight". So the down part is you'll have to get new clothes. The good part is you'll have to get new clothes. I ONLY shop clearance racks cause there's no point in paying full price for a pair of jeans that will be too big in a few weeks. Like others said, goodwill, thrift shops. Plato's closet things like that. Oh and shoes. I went from wearing a size 10 shoe to an 8.5. Who knew your shoe size will shrink too. Keep me updated on your size that way if you want i can just send you what i don't wear anymore. Oh and not too much issue with skin. I do have the dreaded bat wings, but i've always had those. i wouldnt mind getting those chopped off. GOod luck!!