Keto and logging calories

Options
If calories don't count -- as many in the keto/paleo community believe -- then why are you here logging your calories? Is it so you can, at the same time keep track of your carbs? Is it because you want to keep track of your ratios? Do you believe calories do, in fact, count. Is it for the community and support you get on MFP? Or for some other reason entirely.

Personally, I started off here, because I erroneously believed that calories do count. Once I learned they don't, I stayed because of the great community and support system I've found here. Also, it's become kind of a habit.

Replies

• Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    I don't believe that calories count on keto but I do think that for consistent and larger weight loss you want some sort of caloric deficit. Some days I eat very little, other days I may shatter my limits, basically eat when hungry and stop when full. If I go over I don't get upset nor do I get worried when under 1k for the day. I mainly log to help train me more in what I can eat/not eat and it's effects for lifestyle. For me keto is and will become my lifestyle rather then a diet to lose weight.
  • norabolt
    Options
    I don't adhere to a very strict calorie count - other than to make sure I hit enough each day and don't accidentally under-eat. I mostly just MFP to track carbs and make sure my ratios are in the general area I want.

I do, however, believe that a caloric deficit is necessary for optical weight loss. For someone like me who is only 20lbs outside of my target weight range and who has been eating healthy and exercising, I certainly need a caloric deficit in conjunction with keto eating in order to get over my metabolic plateau.

It's still all about energy in vs energy out. Keto is simply teaching your body to target a new source of energy.
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have been logging because I am trying to stay within a certain goal range and I want to see how many "net carbs" I am consuming since this is kind of new for me. It's actually quite interesting. I am definitely having problems staying within 5%, but I am under 10% so that is a start.

I also just am in a habit of logging my food after years of "dieting"....LOL!
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I watch my carbs only. I don't think calories really count - I was on low fat and 1600 cals and working out in a bootcamp twice a day and getting no results.... went to keto/low carb and eat about 2000 calories a day - feeling full and satisfied - and losing weigh each week. I also think that since I am eating my BMR of calories, this has to be doing my body good. Oh, and I workout about half as much as before. Love this lifestyle!
  • dickymint678
    dickymint678 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    To loose weight you will need to achieve a overall calorie deficit.

Calories come from :

Alcohol
    Carbs
    Protein
    Fats

Let's say you took in "no carbs what-so-ever" (highly unlikely) and got all your calories from fat and some protein and exceeded your body's total calorie requirement, the excess would get stored initially as glycogen and then fat.

Carbs are watched by many Ketogenic dieters as the less carbs you supply your body the more your body uses it's fat store for energy.
  • AKbluedragonfly
    AKbluedragonfly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It definitely makes it easier to watch carbs, protein, and fat by logging on here. I know if I'm not logging, I'll start to unintentionally get bigger with my portions and then carbs go up without me even realizing. It's all for accountability.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm logging, rather than calorie counting. MFP is easier than doing it manually, as you can save recipes and meals. I log just as much to prevent undereating as overeating. Often not hungry ;)
  • skatewalker
    skatewalker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow, creed 610, - you're half way there. Well done!
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    Thanks! I consider myself 3/4 of the way there though, lost 40 lb, over 8 months, pre MFP and Keto through watching what I ate and exercising. When I realized how much I hated that diet and that it wasn't going to be a long term thing for me I found Keto and lost the same amount in less then 1/2 the time and am so much happier with it as a lifestyle.
  • thatchris4llen
    thatchris4llen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I only track my carbs with myfitnesspal sometimes. I mainly use it for tracking weightloss. I have read that calories do count (dietdoctor.com) but on a diet like this you tend to eat less.