Silly Question

juncture
juncture Posts: 129 Member
I've just joined a gym and am planning on starting NROLFW but umm when you go to the gym do you take the book with you? I'm worried I'll need to look at how to do the exercises.

Thanks!

Replies

• MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    I take copies of the relevant pages in with me - just cos its easier than flicking through a whole book! I still check most exercises before doing them (just starting week 3 now)

I have asked some staff how to do suff too, but they're not always available - or that knowledgeable:laugh:
  • HemsireJosie
    HemsireJosie Posts: 24 Member
    I usually take a pic of the workout chart on my phone and take my phone in with me (on silent :)).

Or at first - when I had trouble remembering the proper form for exercises I created a document on the computer and copied and pasted pictures of the exercises off of google search, when I printed it was less that 1 page for each day (1 for workout a and one for workout b) and I would write notes on it (like: look forward or feet shoulder width apart, etc).

After the first few workouts it gets easier to remember the exercises and how to perform them, you can almost feel that something's not right when your form is off or a foot is in the wrong place, lol.

Hope that helps. Good luck with it all.

:]
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    I just take the book in - like who really cares?
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    I list each exercise in the MFP app on my phone and then I can change weights etc during my rests. I also have form pics on there (but do t use any more). ETA I think you can see them if you look at my diary from yesterday.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    I copied the workout page stage A, Then I wrote down Squats for the first exercise and copied page 158 Squat . Copied page 191 for push-ups and wrote down push-ups for the next exercise, I then placed an arrow by the word push-ups on my work out page. Next exercise is the seated row wrote it down, put an arrow by seated row and conected the two arrows together and wrote alternate. I need to have this written, because I'm so tired after the squats that I would do it wrong. Seated row is page 262.
    Did the samething with step-up page 172 and prone jackknife page 215.
    I placed all the pages in clear page protectors and bound them with loosley tied hemp, so I can turn the pages easly. I store a pencile in the first page, when I arrive to workout I remove the pencil and the first page, so I can take notes.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    I have spreadsheets printed out that tell me what order, what exercise, how many sets/reps. I record my progress on these, too.

Before I go to the gym for the first time to do a new workout, I do a no-weight run through of all the exercises in the workout at home. That helps me to figure out the proper form and how the exercise feels before I add weight. Once I do a run-through at home, I generally remember which exercise is which and how to do them.
  • I take my book sometimes, particularly at the beginning of a new stage. I use colour coded tabs to find the exercises :blushing: The guys at the gym find it quite amusing!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    I study the night before and keep it in my car. I've brought it in a few times. The trainers were impressed by it saying, "THis is really good stuff."
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    I used to take the book when I first started... I have a cute story about it. I was trying to do something for the first time (and apparently incorrectly, hah...) when a guy walked up and mentioned how he didn't want me to hurt my knees with that jumping thing I was putting into it. He asked me about the program and saw the book, he smiled at the title and said "Lift like a Man, Look like a Goddess, you are already half-way there!". I'm assuming he meant the goddess part.. hahhah. A little creepy but flattering nontheless.