Atheism and Morality

mensasu
mensasu Posts: 355 Member
http://atheism.about.com/od/atheismmyths/p/AtheistsMorals.htm

If you get the argument that you need religion to be moral, then the above weblink is useful.

So is the morality section of John Loftus' The Christian Delusion: Why Faith Fails. In fact the entire book is great.

For a laugh try this test http://www.gotoquiz.com/do_you_have_biblical_morals
I was able to score 100% (of course I knew I was responding with the bible's real answers and not what I would really do)

Replies

• Even though I am an atheist, I still think the bible guides me appropriately. I would feel bad, and somehow less human and civilized, if I beat my slaves in an unchristian manner or failed to stone a family member to death for a legitimate offense.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    LOL at poster above mine! rofl!!:laugh:

haven't followed the links from the OP yet, but i have seen that "Do you have biblical morals?" quiz that the OP refers to. I also got a 100%!!:laugh:

See, thing is, even christians ARE following their OWN inner moral code,
    but just don't realize it.......cuz xtians ARE picking and choosing which parts of the bible they will follow,
    and ignoring parts they don't like, as 'false'. See, their own inner moral code IS at work there, as they sort out which parts of the bible they feel are true (parts they 'like')
    and which parts of the bible they say are 'not true' (parts they don't like).

Yes, my own inner moral code is pretty strong, i usually instantly know which behaviors i've done are 'good', and which ones were times i strayed from being 'good'.....certainly not all moral dilemmas are simple, every now and then--there are times i have no clue which move is best thing to do, but, no way would a book written by goatherders help me decide.

eHQJ0.png
  • ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    I think morality is inherent to humans and is a trait our species got (and are getting) selected for in the process of evolution. Simplistically speaking, those exhibiting the trait attract more mates.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    I think morality is inherent to humans and is a trait our species got (and are getting) selected for in the process of evolution. Simplistically speaking, those exhibiting the trait attract more mates.

There is a very real evolutionary advantage to altruism. Before the invention of weapons we were pretty much out matched by every single beast in nature. Then we started to sharpen sticks and we learned how to sling rocks. It didn't take long for primitive man to learn that with the proper application of the correct tools the playing field could be leveled. As we collaborated on enhancing these creations of our minds we realized we could compound our successes.