Alternating sets, do you?

rvrtplus2
rvrtplus2 Posts: 33 Member
Hello,

Newbie here! I officially start tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it. I understand the program including the stages and alternating workouts. My question is about the alternating sets within a workout.

Do you alternate or just do all sets of one (of course with the rest periods) then move to the next exercise?

I know the book said to alternate but the location at my gym of access of push up area and seated row (as in A workout of stage 1) are not immediately near each other. I feel like I would spend too much time running all over the gym. Perhaps not, and maybe it won't be an issue. My gym tends to be very busy in these areas so if you get a machine/area then you really want to keep it until you are done with your set.

Any help is appreciated as I embark on this new adventure!

Replies

• rvrtplus2
    Bump?
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    I alternate, but today I forgot and did seated row twice in a row. I would say not alternating is better than not doing it! Good luck tomorrow!
  • I alternate, but today I forgot and did seated row twice in a row. I would say not alternating is better than not doing it! Good luck tomorrow!

Ditto! Sometimes when I go it's manically busy so I stay on the machine and do the number of sets I need to. Just make sure you take the full rest period between the sets so you get the maximum benefit.

Alison
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    If I'm working out at home, or it's Saturday at the gym, I alternate sets.

If I go temporarily insane and find myself at Planet Fitness around 6 PM... let's just say I'm lucky if I can get on the free weights in the first place. I alternate when I can.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Do you have to go to the "push up" are of the gym? Is there room for you to just do them on the floor right next to the row machine? I think it's best to alternate, but if you can't then no big deal.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    I alternate, although today doing the wide lat pull down I forgot and did two in a row so I did (should press, pull down, pull down, shoulder press). For the seated row, I did it on the cable machine and then just did push ups right where I was. I don't care! :) There's an area where people do sits ups and push ups and stuff, but it made more sense to just do it right there. There was plenty of space and no one seemed to care.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Do you have to go to the "push up" are of the gym? Is there room for you to just do them on the floor right next to the row machine? I think it's best to alternate, but if you can't then no big deal.

I usually just do my pushups right next to the seated row machine if I get the machine that is in the back corner and people can't see me doing them lol. Otherwise I go to the ab area and grab a mat and alternate. I think that its probably better to alternate, since when working muscles if you do a pulling motion you should do a pushing motion next....
  • rvrtplus2
    Thank you all for your help! I'm a bit nervous to start. Going to leave in a few minutes. I will see what works best for the gym space. I'm trying to wait for the gym to not be so crowded.

Thanks again!!