Is this a good plan?

Options
bahacca
bahacca Posts: 878 Member
I'm facing the age old issue-how to cut fat without losing loads of muscle mass. Truth is I'm fluffy. I know i have a good frame under the fluff, however. SO, to lose the fluff I've cut calories. I know I won't build muscle this way, but i'd like to preserve as much as possible. I don't want to be "skinny fat" I'd prefer to skip that step;-)
So, here is my workout schedule"
Sunday, Tuesday, THursday
Lifting-I do the following in a set up I've made up that I call 12/6/3 So, for example, I do 12 reps of 12.5 lbs, then 6 reps of 15 lbs then 3 reps of 20 lbs for curls. I do this 2x. I'll up weight as I get stronger, probably every 2-3 weeks, depending on exercise. I do the following:
Squats (leg press machine if douche is hogging the squat rack)
Half Deadlifts
Rows
Pull up machine
Calf raises
Bicep curls
Lat pull downs
Bench press(I use the machine for now since 45 lbs is too much for me at this time--will go to actual bench once I get there)
I then do 30 min of cardio-usually running, but i hurt my foot so doing the elliptical for now.
Please critique.

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    What's a half deadlift? You doin rack pulls?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Are you a complete novice in strenght training?

If you are, I would suggest starting with a program like stronglifts 5x5.

Simple, complete, fast and efficient.

I am one year into strength training and next month will start adding isolation lift to my compound lift....I feel that before then, it is a waste of time since you have everything to build.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    yeah. or use this template:

Squat 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 8
    Bent row 3 x 8
    Military press 3 x 8
    SLDL 3 x 8 (or use you half deadlift - aka rack pull i assume?)
    BB curl 3 x 8
    3 x per week.

at the end of the day, as long as you are pushing yourself, and progressing, and you STICK with it. what you have will be okay if you're just starting out, as anything general works for a while with a beginner.

but yeah, Starting strength, stronglifts, or the above (know as the PTC beginners program from ausbb.com ) are excellent starting points. and all very simple.
  • bahacca
    Options
    I start the bar on the squat rack lower safety bar for the half deadlift. So I'm not starting with the weights on the floor. I'm not allowed at my gym to drop them like you should in a proper dead, so....
    I do isolation because I enjoy them.
    I'm not BRAND new, but I did take several months off during the summer from lifting to train for a 1/2 marathon, so I figured I'd start over. I like your list, mideon. Will write it in my notebook and do that on Tuesday.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    ^^You can let deads down without dropping them.
    Rack pulls shorten the range of motion , and take your legs out of the equation a bit. So you aren't going to get as much hamstring involvement.
  • bahacca
    Options
    Ok-I'll start doing full deads, but I'm going to have to drop the weight I use by at least 10 lbs b/c my form is lacking-my shoulders like to move every which way at the beginning. Any idea how to curb this issue?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Ok-I'll start doing full deads, but I'm going to have to drop the weight I use by at least 10 lbs b/c my form is lacking-my shoulders like to move every which way at the beginning. Any idea how to curb this issue?

Just Start off light and build up slowly, the strength will come in time.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

as stated above. start light.
    If your form is breaking down, you are lifting to heavy.

It's a given that form will suck on a max attempt, but for everyday sets, it should look solid.
  • bahacca
    Options
    Thanks so much guys!
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    Btw, I'd suggest using Dumbbell Bench to work up to the Barbell Bench. Probably has a lot more carryover than a machine would.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Btw, I'd suggest using Dumbbell Bench to work up to the Barbell Bench. Probably has a lot more carryover than a machine would.

Agreed.

Definitely ditch the machine. They're totally different movements. I had like a 200ish pound bench on a smith machine, then struggled with 155 when I had to learn to use freeweights................

start with freeweights and build stability.
  • bahacca
    Options
    Check on the dumbbell bench. I'm all over the place right now with a plan. Someone here posted this and it looks doable. I can only 100% commit to going to the gym 2x a week, so I'm just going to do upper and lower body in one day and then the other workouts the next day i go in-Tues/Thursday. It also helps me to have it written down what to do. I have issues trying one thing and moving onto a new thing too soon, so I can commit to 12 weeks of this and I'll post before/after shots:-)
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    just to clarify you mean 12 reps on Mon, 6 on Wed & 3 on Fri?

I did stronglifts and the PTC beginner program and preferred the PTC one. I'd stick to the one rep range to just get stronger in general.

Also, stiff leg deadlifts you don't actually have to drop to the ground until last rep so that could work for you're gym. Also, mass hamstring development.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    hehe. for stiff legs i need to stand on 50mm plates so i dont hit the ground, lol. just dont get enough ROM otherwise
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    For 2x a week you could try doing a 5/3/1 workout schedule, with or without the 5/3/1 weight/rep scheme though. I did it with Reverse Pyramid Training and I liked it.

It's basically like this:

Day 1:

Deadlift (or Rack Pulls)
    Overhead Press
    Assistance work for these two lifts (Chinup [machine], dips, back raises, ab work, or others)

Day 2:
    Squat
    Bench Press
    Assistance work for these two lifts (Stiff-Legged DL or Romanian DL, Rows, Leg Press, Leg Curls, ab work, or others)
  • bahacca
    Options
    just to clarify you mean 12 reps on Mon, 6 on Wed & 3 on Fri?

I did stronglifts and the PTC beginner program and preferred the PTC one. I'd stick to the one rep range to just get stronger in general.

Also, stiff leg deadlifts you don't actually have to drop to the ground until last rep so that could work for you're gym. Also, mass hamstring development.
    Chris-I do them the same day- so I was picking up 12.5lbs and doing 12 curls. Wait 30 seconds to 1 min. Pick up 15 lbs and do 6 curls. Rest. Pick up 20 lb and do 3 curls.
    And I saw stiff deads and looked them up since they were on the program I posted that I'll follow for 12 weeks. Those may be the key for my deadlift issue. I practiced in the mirror at home and got the form down(now to test it with weight next week. Stupid FOOT!)
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Aaah gotcha.

Just remember that you need some sort of progression. More weight or more reps.

Start light on those SLDL's. First time, you probably won't need much weight. Good luck walking the next day :tongue:
  • bahacca
    Options
    Aaah gotcha.

Just remember that you need some sort of progression. More weight or more reps.

Start light on those SLDL's. First time, you probably won't need much weight. Good luck walking the next day :tongue:
    Haa! I figured from the movement if I don't want to get up out of a chair or sit down in one, I probably did them right.
    And OT, chris, but after I ran my half, 2 Aussie guys asked me to take their picture. I thought of you:-)
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    :laugh: that's classic. And thanks :smile: Although, I keep getting asked if I'm South African for some reason. Apparently, I don't sound Aussie enough even for Aussies?
  • bahacca
    Options
    :laugh: that's classic. And thanks :smile: Although, I keep getting asked if I'm South African for some reason. Apparently, I don't sound Aussie enough even for Aussies?
    The accents are quite similar! The only time I've ever misguessed an accent was a South African woman I thought was Aussie. Only reason I got it wrong was i'd never HEARD the South African accent before. Now I can tell the difference, but I studied acting for many years, so my ears are pretty good at picking up subtleties. My guess is with all of the traveling you do, you've picked up dialects from different places and skewed your speaking JUST enough. I lived on the East coast of the US for 5 weeks and came home with a MUCH different accent than when I left.