Question?????

Does this work the same for people who are morbidly obese? I am just looking at the numbers the scooby site gave me and am wondering if those numbers are too high? It could just be the 30 years of diet mentality pounded into my brain that is making me think the numbers are too high. It said my bmr was 2070 and that I should be consuming 2700 calories. That 2700 just scares the crap out of me. I work out 6 days a week and 4 of those days are HIIT and two of them are heavy lift days. Any thoughts?

Replies

• wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    You might want to use the calculator on the site named the worlds most accurate calculator, if you know your BF%.

From what I've read the standard Harris-Benedict method for BMR is a bit dated and limited. It was formed being tested on lean young males. The accurate version has the option to use Katch-McArdle. This method takes bf% into account. This can make a difference as lean body mass uses more calories.

I was eating at TDEE of 3300 calories and gaining a little each week. After using this method it gave me a TDEE of 3000 calories, which is what I'm now doing.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    The scooby calculator did not calculate enough cals for me. I got a FitBit and it showed that I was under eating by good 200 kcal.
    I am not obese, and I have a TDEE of 2400-2600. Yes it is scary at the beginning, but once you get over that mental burdle you will start to love your food :)
    If you have been on low caloreis, I guess you are attempting a reset?
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    I was obese (still am but overweight is around the corner!) but not morbidly obese when I started EM2WL in April. I have lost about 15 pounds on it. It will be slower than starving yourself but much more sustainable. If you cannot wrap your brain around 2700, can you do the BMR number or 2070? The gurus would tell you that it too low but it is better to eat above BMR than not. I am 44 and have dieted since I was 14 or 15 so I understand your reluctance. I can admit that I am a bit impatient but .7-a pound a week is totally doable and I do not feel deprived. I am sedentary due to a disability and my cut calorie are 1637 and BMR is 1600. I too have a fitbit and it showed even I was under about 60 calories. You can do this!
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    I was obese (still am but overweight is around the corner!) but not morbidly obese when I started EM2WL in April. I have lost about 15 pounds on it. It will be slower than starving yourself but much more sustainable. If you cannot wrap your brain around 2700, can you do the BMR number or 2070? The gurus would tell you that it too low but it is better to eat above BMR than not. I am 44 and have dieted since I was 14 or 15 so I understand your reluctance. I can admit that I am a bit impatient but .7-a pound a week is totally doable and I do not feel deprived. I am sedentary due to a disability and my cut calorie are 1637 and BMR is 1600. I too have a fitbit and it showed even I was under about 60 calories. You can do this!

Thanks. Yeah I have put my cals in at the 2070 number and am trying to eat back cals to keep that as my net. As for starting a reset, I am still struggling with getting a grasp on this whole thing so I am not going to try that yet. I am trying to retrain my brain thatt eating more is okay. I taking this all in, in baby steps.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member

Thanks. Yeah I have put my cals in at the 2070 number and am trying to eat back cals to keep that as my net. As for starting a reset, I am still struggling with getting a grasp on this whole thing so I am not going to try that yet. I am trying to retrain my brain thatt eating more is okay. I taking this all in, in baby steps.

This works for everyone. If you eat at a deficit you will lose weight. When we destroy the metabolism it takes time to fix it. I'm glad you are giving this a go because it really does work. Most important never eat below bmr and second don't cut more than 300 cals from your TDEE. Try giving yourself a reset if you have been yo-yo dieting. Also, be sure that you pick the correct activity level. Love that you are lifting. Maybe consider lifting three days a week and doing just two HIIT sessions per week. Just a thought.

Lucia
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member

This works for everyone. If you eat at a deficit you will lose weight. When we destroy the metabolism it takes time to fix it. I'm glad you are giving this a go because it really does work. Most important never eat below bmr and second don't cut more than 300 cals from your TDEE. Try giving yourself a reset if you have been yo-yo dieting. Also, be sure that you pick the correct activity level. Love that you are lifting. Maybe consider lifting three days a week and doing just two HIIT sessions per week. Just a thought.

Lucia

I haven't really been yoyo dieting. I had two surgeries in the last 3 years so I haven't been paying attention to what I have been eating. My average days calories would probably be 2500 to 3000 calores, if I went back and journaled. Then this year I didn't really start working on my weight till June. I am eating at my TDEE this week and next week. Then will try cutting back to the 2700 calories and see how things go.

Thanks for all your help guys!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Does this work the same for people who are morbidly obese? I am just looking at the numbers the scooby site gave me and am wondering if those numbers are too high? It could just be the 30 years of diet mentality pounded into my brain that is making me think the numbers are too high. It said my bmr was 2070 and that I should be consuming 2700 calories. That 2700 just scares the crap out of me. I work out 6 days a week and 4 of those days are HIIT and two of them are heavy lift days. Any thoughts?

I weigh 198-200lbs (varies by day lol) and I eat between 2400-3100 calories a day. Haven't gained any weight since making the switch to EM2WL! You just need to take the plunge and EAT! You will be surprised how good you'll feel and angry that you didn't figure out that you could eat more sooner!