Significance of Ice

Options
gp79
gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
A couple days ago I decided to whip out the fluff again. It had been a good 6 months since I last made a batch. When I was finished, I didn't have quite the same volume (less than 3 min total stand mixer time on high) but I had a better overall fluff experience. Minimal bloating, but still plenty full. I got around to thinking what the difference could have been since I made it with the same ingredients and method.

I ditched my cheap oster blender and picked up a vitamix. Now this thing crushes ice to snow in no time. I've always said ice is the magic ingredient in it and this just goes to show how important it is in my recipe for fluff.

I skip the egg whites. They're not needed. Plus there's an enzyme in RAW egg whites that prevents some of the absorbtion of protein I believe. Google it sometime if you're interested.

1 Cup almond milk, whole milk, cream or whatever you want to use.
1 - 2 scoops of protein
1 tbsp or less of Guar or Xanthan Gum.

Toss that in there and thoroughly combine it all. Add the guar gum in small quantities or it gets stuck to the side of the mixing bowl and stays there.

Once that's mixed up I fill my blender 1/2 way full of ice. I just eyeball it. It's a couple cups worth of shaved ice by the time i'm done. Maybe 3 cups tops.

While on high, add the ice in and let it rip. It immediately slows the stand mixer down. I add a couple splashes of milk extra and let it go for 2 minutes and it's done.