End of wk3 (wk7) and so tempted to lower my cal a bit..again

splashblob
splashblob Posts: 249 Member
Sorry for the ramble people but I don't know what to do and just need to vent out. :frown:

As some of you may know I start doing reset from August, 1st. However, 3 weeks later after eating based from scooby's sites (1461 cals), I got a fitbit and found out my TDEE is around 200 calories higher than what I have been eating since I have started the reset.

Never mind, I have to restart again with higher TDEE number, and so I eat 1700 for 3 weeks now and after a few weeks again, I found out that my average TDEE per week is not that high either, it is more in the middle between 1600-1700. I have talked to Kiki and the outcome is that because consistency is important, I have to continue eating at 1700cals until cutting.

Now it's 3 weeks after I have been eating at 1700cals, or almost the end of weeks 7 since I have started the reset started from August and I have gained 11lb. I am so stress and worried now and most of all want to lower my cal a bit more. I have already discard my old big shirts and jeans and I am afraid that I am not going to fit in my current outfit once again in a short time. I have already stopped going to some shops where I usual frequent where the store reps told me I am looked thinner since I started losing weight and sometimes now I have to face my family teasing me how I start getting fatter again so soon and it upset me.

I don't know how much weight I'd end up with in this next 5 weeks, I have gained 11lb already, so does my waistline and hip. :sad: If I didn't adjust my calories based from Fitbit,, it will be next week when I can start cutting...but then again, that'd means that I am eat lower my TDEE and the whole reset wouldn't work. :cry:

Replies

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 578 Member
    Good for you for sticking with it. Try to remember, you're repairing your metabolism. You're doing something healthy for your body. Try not to let what other say about it affect you (I know. Easier said than done. Right?) If I read your post correctly, you have one more week before you cut. You can make it. You're doing doing great!
  • splashblob
    Nope, I have 5 more weeks left. The first 3 weeks when I started doing the reset in August. I got my TDEE wrong and ate under TDEE for around 230 cals, so I have to start over again after that. :frown:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    You are eating 1700 calories and have been for the last 7 weeks. You gained 11 pounds on the scale....that is a surplus of 38 500 calories of in that time....or 785 calories a day.......do you really eat as much as 2500 calories a day without noticing? Do you weight your food carefully?

I sure hope not.....in that case you gained weight but you didn't gained fat. Short term, it is hard to see the scale going up (my answer to that is to get ride of my scale) but you are healting your metabolism.......this is for long term. Listen to Kiki.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Sounds to me you just confirmed what TDEE is NOT for this level of activity. Some caveats though.

TDEE by definition is maintenance, no weight gain or loss, on average. Obviously some days are more than other. Obviously a heavy weight lifting workout late one day may draw on fat stores more the next day. Of course our body's needs and processes don't stop at midnight by our watches and MFP logging time.

If you have been gaining, then I'd argue you must therefore been eating above TDEE.

Now, has the amount of gain been consistent in that time period, or it started bigger (suppressed metabolism) and has evened out lately (metabolism sped up) to either nothing, or something measurable in the last couple weeks (like 1 lb over 2 wks) that has stayed the same?

Because it's easy to eat above a suppressed TDEE (because metabolism is suppressed too).

But just the opposite effect of getting a suppressed metabolism. Then you'd have good weight loss for several weeks followed by diminishing loss amounts until nothing or almost nothing.

Now, large weight gain until body realizes you are really going to feed it and then metabolism speeds up. So several weeks of diminishing weight gain until nothing if you truly hit TDEE. If you hit a week of a slight loss, that means your metabolism has speed up and is in fact faster now and you need to increase a tad to eat at TDEE. If you slowly keep gaining at consistent amount, then your estimated TDEE is too high.
  • splashblob
    You are eating 1700 calories and have been for the last 7 weeks. You gained 11 pounds on the scale....that is a surplus of 38 500 calories of in that time....or 785 calories a day.......do you really eat as much as 2500 calories a day without noticing? Do you weight your food carefully?

I sure hope not.....in that case you gained weight but you didn't gained fat. Short term, it is hard to see the scale going up (my answer to that is to get ride of my scale) but you are healting your metabolism.......this is for long term. Listen to Kiki.

I always weight my food whenever I cook by myself. :indifferent: No, I have been eating 1700 calories for only 3 weeks since August, 27th. The 3-4 weeks before that I was eating at the number Scooby's sites gave me, which is around 1461 calories. After I average my TDEE per week based from fitbit, I found out that my TDEE level is around 1600-1688/1689 range though-aside from the first week where my average TDEE is 1700.

Well, I tried recalculate it and it appears that I have not gain that much of 11lb. Sorry, maths is never been m strong point. It's still a lot though-I have gained 85lb so far within this 7 weeks since I have started this reset journey. I know I should not weight myself every day like this but I do this as a reminder to myself not to overeat during the reset.
    Sounds to me you just confirmed what TDEE is NOT for this level of activity. Some caveats though.

TDEE by definition is maintenance, no weight gain or loss, on average. Obviously some days are more than other. Obviously a heavy weight lifting workout late one day may draw on fat stores more the next day. Of course our body's needs and processes don't stop at midnight by our watches and MFP logging time.

If you have been gaining, then I'd argue you must therefore been eating above TDEE.

Now, has the amount of gain been consistent in that time period, or it started bigger (suppressed metabolism) and has evened out lately (metabolism sped up) to either nothing, or something measurable in the last couple weeks (like 1 lb over 2 wks) that has stayed the same?

Because it's easy to eat above a suppressed TDEE (because metabolism is suppressed too).

But just the opposite effect of getting a suppressed metabolism. Then you'd have good weight loss for several weeks followed by diminishing loss amounts until nothing or almost nothing.

Now, large weight gain until body realizes you are really going to feed it and then metabolism speeds up. So several weeks of diminishing weight gain until nothing if you truly hit TDEE. If you hit a week of a slight loss, that means your metabolism has speed up and is in fact faster now and you need to increase a tad to eat at TDEE. If you slowly keep gaining at consistent amount, then your estimated TDEE is too high.

You are right that I have been going over my TDEE. Aside from the first week which I average my TDEE out to be 1700, my TDEE from this last 2 weeks is never Exceed 1700. Yet, for consistency reason, I have to continue eating at this level for another 5 weeks. :sick:

My weight is slowly gaining every 2-3 days. Last week, it's level off and dropped down a tiny little bit for 0.5 pound for 2 days-less then it was previous gained yet still more than the day I was gaining. Then it's up again even more, and up to 8.5 more pounds the next day in a roll.
  • heybales
    You are right that I have been going over my TDEE. Aside from the first week which I average my TDEE out to be 1700, my TDEE from this last 2 weeks is never Exceed 1700. Yet, for consistency reason, I have to continue eating at this level for another 5 weeks. :sick:

My weight is slowly gaining every 2-3 days. Last week, it's level off and dropped down a tiny little bit for 0.5 pound for 2 days-less then it was previous gained yet still more than the day I was gaining. Then it's up again even more, and up to 8.5 more pounds the next day in a roll.

You need to stop weighing every day, not useful in the least if you can't separate the fact of fluctuations from real gain/loss.

Morning after a rest day from workouts should be it, once a week would be better at that time, in case you have multiple rest days. And if still sore from weight lifting, false gain with water retention.

So if it slowly going up by the same rate, you have probably reached the end of your metabolism going as high as it's going to go, and you are of course eating over current metabolism TDEE.
    So when you have 2 weeks with the same amount of gain, then remember that 1lb weekly is 500 cal daily difference.

If you have already seen this consistent weight gain for 2 weeks, then your metabolism has stopped going faster, and you've reached ability to do math and calculate correct TDEE to eat at - for this level of activity.

You can finish out your reset at that slightly lower level and should show no weight gain or loss. Then you know you are correct TDEE for that level of activity and can take correct deficit.
  • splashblob
    Thanks for the input, I guess I will try continue eating at 1700kcal for a few weeks first and see how my weight will be. I have to admit though, lately I got fed up with cleaning kitchen utensils and I ate bad quite often recently and probably this will be going on for a long while - Bad housing situation, my home is in the middle of remodeling and my family keeps stalling on packing things out of the house.

I do admit I'm not really trusting myself, a lot of things I have to eat don't have nutrition data so I have to guess. I tried to not eat under TDEE for fearing of me ruin the reset process and have to redo it again for the 3rd time and so I either have to try to eat A LOT or buy frozen food or fast food so I can learn about its calories exactly. So....I am not sure all of this weight I have gain is water weight or I am getting fat again....Today I have gained 0.5 lb after I have gained 8.5lb for the last 2 days, I suppose it's the water weight, right?
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    You need to stop weighing every day, not useful in the least if you can't separate the fact of fluctuations from real gain/loss.

Honestly, I would recommend not weighing at all while you're eating TDEE. Your clothes will tell you what you need to know. The weeks I was doing reset and not weighing were the most freeing weeks of my life. :love: :love: :love:

That said, I am usually an every day weigher, but I try not to let the fluctuations bother me. I know for a fact that my weight will be up 2-4# right before and during ovulation and will be its lowest right before TOM. I use this chart so I can see the trends and not worry about the day-2-day changes. Logically, I know I can't gain 2# of fat in one day....:noway: :noway:

https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet
  • heybales
    I do admit I'm not really trusting myself, a lot of things I have to eat don't have nutrition data so I have to guess. I tried to not eat under TDEE for fearing of me ruin the reset process and have to redo it again for the 3rd time and so I either have to try to eat A LOT or buy frozen food or fast food so I can learn about its calories exactly. So....I am not sure all of this weight I have gain is water weight or I am getting fat again....Today I have gained 0.5 lb after I have gained 8.5lb for the last 2 days, I suppose it's the water weight, right?

Going over or under on one day isn't going to show much effect.

Shoot, if you did weight lifting workout in the evening, the majority of the calorie burn is going to be the next day past midnight anyway, so this idea of one day is going to ruin everything has to be gotten around.
    A habit of going either direction to extremes is going to get you into trouble.

Are you still exercising? Could be water weight associated with storing some glucose back.
  • splashblob
    It is not just one day, but I do it quite often. I also overeat again today, not by choices though. *sighs* I don't do weight lifting, when I exercise for now, I just speedwalk and do a light jog in my room for about 1 hour. I do have to take care of 19 cats in my house though-I am a crazy cat lady. My mainly routine involves woke up and carried one of my cat into my room+occasionally take him upstair/downstair whenever he wants to use litter box, also walk up/downstair at night when he meow me-he is FIV+ so I can't let him walk freely or he will go fight with my other cats.

Aside from that I refill all the cats's food/water and cleaning cat's litter multiple times during the day-a lot of squating and lifting, though I'm pretty sure my squat posture is wrong. In the morning, it usually take 1:30-2 hours to finish this, in the evening night I finish the job sooner, but I had to do it for several round.

Ah, today my weight dropped down a bit for 0.3 lb, after I am trying to curb my calories and eat cleaner for 2 days. So I guess it's the water weight. (???) Yet, today I had to go out almost the whole day and had to eat out. Once again, I'm not sure about the food calories and I think overeat again though. :(

However, since Tuesday this week, my schedule has been quite busy, yesterday my TDEE according to Fitbit gone up to 1800+ cals even though I didn't do any workout-I ate less than my TDEE for 8cals though. And today my TDEE is 1902cals and it's not midnight yet. Just hope it's not going to affect the reset-I'm quite afraid that I have to redo it again for the 3rd time. :explode:
  • splashblob
    As a sidenote, I weight myself this morning and lost a pound. Is it because of I have been much more active this past 3 days, water retention level off or because of the reset? :indifferent:
  • heybales
    As a sidenote, I weight myself this morning and lost a pound. Is it because of I have been much more active this past 3 days, water retention level off or because of the reset? :indifferent:

Always keep the math in mind regarding all weight loss and gain.

1 lb equals 3500 calories divided by the amount of time for the increase decrease.

You went up 1 lb in one day. Did you eat 3500 calories over your TDEE yesterday?

Water weight fluctuations.

Put the scale away except for 1 day each week - you aren't helping yourself.
  • splashblob
    Ah, so there is a formular for this. Thanks, this is my first time trying to lose weight so I have got many questions.

BTW, I didn't went up a pound, I lost it. My waistline and hip gain more inches though.