Sept 17 Monday's Mad Hatter Chatter

Options

Replies

• hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    After reading the posts and thinking that it sometimes is hard to shake off the gloom that so often comes when we make bad food choices and don't move, Fleetwood Mac started singing in my ear! I think these lyrics are words we all need to remember as we struggle toward a healthier life. Being of a certain age, I know we can all sing along. WHILE WE ARE SINGING, think about how you don't need to wait until tomorrow to start smiling or making healthier choices. I did two things today to make my tomorrows better--no.1 I got my flu shot, I kept thinking later, but seeing that the flu was already grabbing some of the hatters, I decided not to wait any longer, and today is the no texting while driving pledge day. Google It Can Wait to find the pledge that we all should take and even more importantly get that generation of texting pros to take, especially those of us with new drivers in the family, like Carol's son. Janet

If you wake up and don't want to smile
    If it takes just a little while
    Open your eyes and look at the day
    You'll see things in a different way

Don't stop, thinking about tomorrow
    Don't stop, it'll soon be here
    It'll be, better than before
    Yesterday's gone, yesterday's gone

Why not think about times to come
    And not about the things that you've done
    If your life was bad to you
    Just think what tomorrow will do

Don't stop, thinking about tomorrow
    Don't stop, it'll soon be here
    It'll be, better than before
    Yesterday's gone, yesterday's gone

All I want is to see you smile ...
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Thanks Janet - will do....

And another song for the mad hatters list....

Carol
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Aren't these cooler temps lovely? Fall is my favorite time of the year, Only it means more fattening comfort food... So I better start planning for that.

Tammy, I feel for you with the students that don't want to learn or do what it takes to learn. That was my only pet peeve with my son, he didn't care and would not do it... After much begging, pleading, grounding, screaming, and rages through the years...I just gave up. I figured it was his life, I had done all I could for him, and I had to do what was best for me and my blood pressure. So he made D's almost all the way through high school…. He finally made his first A ( in high school) in Electrical class. I almost cried when I realized he might be able to find a job ,other than flipping burgers. He actually went on to college for electrical ...and has worked every day since...... So long story short, All you can do is do the best you can for them and pray they wake up and realize it is their life You are working for. I know You are doing a great job with them and don't ever feel like it's you that is not connecting with them....they just don't want to connect .... yet.

Janet, I love your spirit. Just enjoy your beautiful dresses, don’t worry about your weight number,I bet no one would even think you weigh 200Lbs , because of the way you carry yourself with style and grace. As for the “ your space taking lady” , Janet, what you should have said …. after you butted her , …..”OH, I’m used to being where you are and no one is in front of me,… Sorry, “ ; )

Merobi, I have a tug of war over the thermostat, too, sometimes. In the summer, he’s ok with it being as cold as we can get it…he works out in the heat everyday. In the colder months , he lives in his housecoat…. : ), if it gets too cold he will cut it to hot and I will come through and put it back down……so we run through some thermostats at our house.

Snoozie, I hope you have won your battle with the meltdown..It is hard to not feel let down and discouraged with it all ,sometimes. Especially when you have worked so hard and done everything right, and I know you have, But I PROMISE IT WILL GET EASIER…

Hello to our new and some not- new friends that I missed. I know everyone is doing all they can do and that it will start to get better, Just don’t give up…just get up, as Snoozie said in her NEAT….
    Thanks for being here…
    G
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Hi ho Hatters!
    Been using the last few days off I have to connect with old friends and ones I just don't get to see often with my shifts; both my wallet and my calories are taking a hit but so absolutley worth it!!

Janet - I actually started to sing the song as I read the words.. ain't it the truth.. thank yhou!
    Tammy: good for you for not pandering to others agendas and trying to get parents and the principal to see that the kids are just NOT doing the work.... having experienced with my nephew the "pass them all no matter what" mentality, I can only hope they'll pay attention and reaqlize your concern is for the kids.. but the reality is they may not... so will keeps fingers crossed you can get through to them but wish there were more teachers willing to stick their necks out and say HEY... listen up people!!

Time2: Yep my meltdown only lasted the day LOL... and i'm gonna keep Chery's post on standby for the next one!!

Cbm: love your new pelican pic lol

Tonya hope you're feeling better soon... guess I jumped the gun sending you that case of toilet paper C.O.D. ??? :laugh:

Welcome to our new members and looking forward to getting to know you!

(and YES.. i edited it cause I felt awful it was in caps the first time.... but I knew it was going to take me an hour to log everything i ate today so I didnt erase the caps LOL... ROFL @ Cheryl's post you will see in a minute..... ohhhhh the guilt... hahahahahha.

will be back later!
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Snooozie we know you was yelling at us with the CAPS. :laugh:
  • Snooozie
    Options
    looks innocently up at Cheryl's post...... caps??? yelling?? I know not what you speak of ......... ??? :noway:

ROFL @ Cheryl.. i LAUGHED and laughed when i read your post.. but i really did feel bad about the caps so i went back and changed em back LOLOL... toooooooo funny!!!:bigsmile:

Oh and Janet..... I forgot earlier.... it's been illegal in Ontario for anyone driving to use a cell phone
    while operating a vehicle for almost 2 years now...
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Many thanks to the Time and the other ladies that send emails of support. It has been 3 days now and I am beginning to feel a bit better. I so relate with Time and her son in comparison to my stepson. And yes it does have to come from within but sometimes just having someone care often sparks that. Sadly having someone that believes in them is far and few between and not something they are use to experiencing. :angry:

I guess what irritated me the most was being told my expectations were to high for my students. There is no such thing imo. If you set high and give them support and resources to succeed. No student is going to shot for the stars when they have no expectations. I am going to just play nice for a few weeks and try easing my students back into things again. I just honestly never thought that 6th, 7th, and 8th graders wouldn't be able to do what my 3rd graders did and even more shocked that it was accepted.
  • cheryl5115
    Options
    Thanks Snooozie for the laugh. I think I have burned 30 calories from it.
  • hairsprayhon
    Options
    Final two days of summer!!! Can you tell that I want to hold on to the sunshine as long as possible?
    Tammy, You may not have much experience as a teacher, but you have the heart and instincts of a great teacher. Your students are lucky to have you, including your expectations.
    And speaking of lucky, Snoozie your senior friend is lucky to have you. Its obvious from your posts that you enjoy your expeditions with your friend. I need to learn this attitude as I adjust to life with my MIL, who officially moved in yesterday. Its also illegal in Maryland to text or talk on a hands operated phone, but people continue to kill themselves doing it.
    Carol, when you take your clothes to the consignment shop are you going to see what they have in your new size? Give us a full report!
    Tonya, have you tried the Vitalicious muffin tops yet?
    Merobi, what is your strength training circuit? From your picture it looks like you do free weights, do you train alone or with a partner?
    I ordered the wedding flowers yesterday, since it is a small wedding on the beach, the flowers are simple and tropical. My daughter, Lynn, the bride will have white anthuriums, and her sister, Beth, the bridesmaid will have anthuriums and a pink ginger blossom. I talked to the groom’s mom and she agreed that we will have butterfly orchid leis. I ordered one big white orchid for Lynn’s hair and denbrodium orchids for everyone else. I always imagined that my kids would have church weddings and celebrate with extended family, but she is having the wedding she wants and there will be a minister, so when I cry the tears will be joyful tears.
    I’m getting my roots done and having a practice hair session. Since the wedding will be at the ocean, I can’t get my hair done by my regular person. But I am going to have her do the practice hair and then write down instructions. I have never been good with hair. Only this year did I finally learn to use a hair straightener, instead I just let my hair air dry and the humidity would do the rest. Once my daughter complained that the other girls had their mom’s do different things to their hair. I told her that some moms were good with hair and other moms had other strengths and she had one of those other moms! (For those of you who might not know hairsprayhon is a nod to the movie that was my childhood the original Hairspray and Hon is a Baltimore term of endearment-and for the record-in the second Hairspray movie, despite the reviews John Travolta did a terrible job emulating a Baltimore accent and Toronto is no Baltimore. For which the people of Toronto might be very happy.)
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    I went to the consignment shop - will find out tomorrow from the owner what the value will be appraised at - they get 55% and I get 45% of the sale - hopefully will sell quickly before they go on sale.....:laugh: :laugh:

I did find a pair of "not my daughter's jeans" - paid $28 - deep purple / plum courdory.... looked up the retail value - about $90...
    "size 16 misses":wink:

Smile Team Smile.....:flowerforyou:

Carol
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    @hairspray - sounds like the wedding plans are going great and am sure you will be beautiful....

The flowers sound lovely too....

When is the wedding again? Sounds close....

Enjoy,,,,

Carol
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Wow I got teach, I got to teach. It was amazing. I don't know what was best not having the rude 8th graders of the splitting of the 6th graders from 2 classes to 3 classes. So now instead of having a 34 and 32 student per class I have 20, 19, 19. Small enough I can finally keep a thumb on the talkers and keep everyone engaged. I was able to move 2 tables, 1 chair, and 7 desk out of the room so what we aren't packed in like peas in a pod. Before the desk were so packed in that I could barely get down the aisle of have room at the board. This opened so much room up its like the room grew double in size overnight.

We had wonderful reviews for the 6th grades, and for the 7th grade an amazingly fun time introducing the vocabulary of the unit. The science class went well but all I did was administer a test the other teacher had scheduled.

The students are even loving the new set up and being able to both hear and have their own books so we are not having to waste time moving desk or always having to ask someone to stop talking. It was amazing how much we covered. To top if off I was able to finally leave again at 4 p.m. so that I could finally pick up some fresh veggies at the store on the way home.

After the first hour I walked to the principal, put my arm around her and told her I could just hug her that I had finally gotten to teach and it was sooooooooo much fun. She said that's what I have been working toward. I said I know but it doesn't hurt to let you know how much I appreciate it.

I wanted to share with you ladies the joy since you have been here through the bad. Friday is just around the corner, wishing everyone a great weekend. Looks like I may even get to have some time for me this weekend. I am getting things where I want them finally.
  • cheryl5115
    Options
    TA sounds like you had a great day. I know how hard it was for you. I admire someone that enjoys teaching. Hope tomorrow is just as good.
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Oh TA, I am so glad you had a great day. A great teacher is one of those things that none of us can afford to do without. I know that I had one or two that really stood out and made a difference. I know that you are doing the same for your students whether you know it or not.
    ~t
  • hairsprayhon
    Options
    Carol, I would have fought with you over those purple pants! My daughters wedding is the 29th, the shower is Sunday.
    TA, hooray your wonderful teaching skills are shining!
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    @ hairspray .... lol.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Enjoy the shower this weekend.....:flowerforyou: extra flower for your hair :)

By the way, Brian hasn't wrecked the car yet....:glasses: he's wearing the Oakley's I got him on vacation.....

Carol
  • Snooozie
    Options
    The past is where you learned the lesson and the future is where you apply the lesson… don’t give up in the middle. :flowerforyou:

Morning Hatters!

Just a quick note til I can get some replies typed up (translation - til my coffee is ready!) but hope everyone has a great weekend; and specially that those under the weather get some R&R to recover, Janet that the shower goes well and you aren't completely exhausted by Sunday night; and TA that you get a little "me" time to celebrate the new set up in the classroom!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    TA: I could "hear" the happiness in your typing in your post!! SO happy for you that things are turning around with the 8ers gone, and reasonable class sizes for you to move ahead with your goals for the young uns! Really happy for you, and hope you DO get some time to relax and enjoy the weekend with a little less stress!

Gsp: I am so glad you had such a great week, and that people at work are noticing!! Nothing like a little outside recognition to give you a little boost and remind you that you're doing awesome!! IPOU!

Janet - I'm still humming the tune in my head.. the chorus is stuck there now, specially the "it'll be better.. better than before" part - great reminder! I didn't realize your MIL had been released and was now living with you J... you have so much going on right now; lots of changes and adjustments and add in the wedding and all the prep.. hope you're doing ok! The wedding on the beach sounds beautiful!! and love the flower choices for all! Great idea on the hair practice.. can you use your cell phone to video the instructions for later use? and LOL @ the HSH moniker.. i do wonder sometimes if people's nicknames mean something specific) I don't think I ever saw the original, but I am a closet musical junkie; and I loved the movie - and yes, I own a copy LOL.. sorry JT butchered the accent tho .... was it filmed in Toronto??? I never knew that.. duh!!!

Cbm: keeping fingers crossed you get a nice chunk of cash for your items, and kudos on scoring such a good sale on the jeans!

Tonya: hope the tummy troubles have finally moved on; and you'll be able to enjoy the weekend a little more!

Time2: hope you're having a good week and glad you got some time to visit with your mom afore she went back - loved your status update on the RL night... its so true, our mindset IS changing and its lovely to have those moments where you realize it IS! Congrats as well on your dedication to those stairs; specially knowing JUST how hard they are once I tried it....you are an inspiration my friend, congrats on your accomplishment!

Cheryl - thanks for the giggles with the yelling!! That was an awesome walk last night - well done!!!

Bis: hope the footsies are ok and that the cold is on its final way out - know it knocked you for a loop!

Mazie - how was the reunion iwth the in laws???

Marywish and Best: you are both doing fabulous.... big IPOU's!!

By the way.. has anyone heard from Flipflop lately?? I notice she hasn't logged in for over a month.. sent a quick PM but just wondered if anyone has been in touch with her...

Need to get some food in my belly... have a great Friday and a wonderufl weekend HAtters!
    :bigsmile:
  • hairsprayhon
    Options
    Snoozie, The rest of my Hairspray story. You MUST search out the original Hairspray movie, I was there when Gwynn Oak was integrated and I remember Negro Day and junior high days on the Buddy Dean show (aka Corny Collins, but not as creepy). Junior High day was my favorite because the girls were all taller than the boys, like I was. I admit bias about the 2nd movie. When I heard Hairspray was coming to Broadway, I bought 40 (yes 40) tickets before it opened. I was going to buy less but I kept thinking, oh, but this person will want to go and I just said the heck with it I got out my credit card and ordered a bus load. The months that I was waiting for the show to open were agonizing. I knew if it was a big success I would be able to sell the tickets easily, and if it was a flop I would get a refund, but if it was mediocre… By the time for our trip I had a waiting list. During the curtain call, the cast actually acknowledged us, in the front of the mezzanine, because we cheered at every Baltimore reference. We even got hysterical when Edna sang that she was going to "roast a pig" because that was a family thing.I invited John Waters on our bus trip and he sent a lovely hand written note saying he was busy. Marissa and Harvey responded to my enthusiastic fan letters. I know the Broadway soundtrack by heart, because "I am Big, Blond and Beautiful and if you don't like the way I look, well I just don't give a d***" When the movie came out, my sister invited me to the Baltimore premier this time with bus loads of kids from the City Rec centers, who cheered just as we did on Broadway. There was a great party at which I danced with Zac Efron (feeling like a total old lady) and ate cake from Charm City cakes and posed with Duff and Mary Alice and the giant hairspray can cake and personally thanked John Waters for responding to my earlier invitation. It was a great Baltimore moment. For which my daughter has not forgiven me about being unable to get her a ticket!
    Canadian cities fill in for US cities all the time. When I went to San Francisco we were going to visit places from Monk, but most were filmed in Canada and apparently there are people all the time who are very disappointed that they can not find the Psych locations in Santa Barbara, because they too are in Canada.
  • 1slimlinda
    1slimlinda Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday friends,

Its lovely to read all your posts and I am always guaranteed a belly laugh! (maybe some day it wiggle less)I am working hard on that. I just need to visit more often so it doesnt seem like I am reading a book when I do drop in. Keep on Keepin on ! Love to all! Linda