Traveling at the beginning of Stage 2

andrea9873
andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
Hi all! I'm new to lifting and really am enjoying it...i look forward to WO days like crazy. I officially start Phase 2 of Stage 1 today and can't wait!

So I'm looking at where I'll be in a few weeks...and it looks like I'll be finishing Stage 1 the day before I head down to visit my daughter who's studying abroad. I still have no idea what the fitness centers at either of the hotels I'm staying at will have. Any ideas on how I can either extend Stage 1 for a few more days until i return to start Stage 2 here at my regular gym or maybe I can start stage 2 with resistance bands. (feels so wrong)

Also what do ya'll do for step-ups if there's nothing sturdy available. Last week I used a cushioned weight bench (at knee) and almost fell over because it was so unsturdy.

thanks for your help

Andrea

Replies

• jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Is there any reason you couldn't just take a rest week while you're gone? It's good to let your body to rest from lifting and it seems like your ending Stage 1 at the perfect time to do that. You can always get some workouts in while you're gone, but you can definitely wait to start Stage 2 until you get back. Good luck and have a great vacation!
  • andrea9873
    Absolutely! I was worried about interrupting the program, but now I realize that taking short breaks intermittently seem to help with recovery and building muscle.

I'm going to begin Stage 2 after my short trip. I plan to run, hike, horseback-ride and kayak during these days! So I can come back refreshed and ready to go!
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    The book recommends a week off between stages. I know many people skip it, but I am not. I think our bodies do amazing things during recovery. Have fun!
  • andrea9873
    so i have taken 4 weeks off (1 month off) ...travel, work and other stresses have kept me from the weights and now left wondering if i should just continue on to Stage 2 or restart Stage 1 fresh...any thoughts?
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Check out nerdfitness (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/ under Free Resources) for some exercises within the hotel room itself. I might be doing some of these while in Vegas next week. Or, I'll do a lot of walking and lifting (drinks).
  • andrea9873
    I will be traveling again in 1 week to Walt Disney World...lots of walking and a pretty nice gym there too. As well as great running trails.

Just wondering since I've been away from NROLFW for a month should I pick up at Stage 2 or just restart?
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Hmm, that's a tough call. I might consider doing a week (or two) of Stage 1 just to see how you are feeling. But then I'd probably move on. What are you instincts telling you?
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    I will be traveling again in 1 week to Walt Disney World...lots of walking and a pretty nice gym there too. As well as great running trails.

Just wondering since I've been away from NROLFW for a month should I pick up at Stage 2 or just restart?

I took a month off of NROL4W to strengthen my low back and hamstrings. I started Stage 2 last week and haven't lost any strength. You should be fine to jump back in!