Starting deadlift with bar 12" off floor

Okay, I need feedback. My back was really sore this morning so I put the olympic bar on the safety bars (down as far as they could go) which made the bar 12" off the ground. I did up the weight to one set of 8 reps and 70 lbs. It still seemed hard or at least I felt I was working hard because I was breathing hard.

Does the bar being up higher compromise which muscles you are working -- or not -- versus the muscles you work with the bar all the way on the floor. The bar sets low on the floor because the most weight I have been able to put on it are 2 five pound plates with two 2.5 pound weights.

Appreciate your feedback.

Replies

• I had the same problem, but I started with just the 45 lb bar which sits practically on the floor. Someone on another post suggested to put weights under the bar so the bar itself sits higher up, making it easier to grab and lift. I hope this makes sense and helps you. I am just starting off with the program so I hope I am giving you some good info. Can't wait to see other responses to this one.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Okay, I need feedback. My back was really sore this morning so I put the olympic bar on the safety bars (down as far as they could go) which made the bar 12" off the ground. I did up the weight to one set of 8 reps and 70 lbs. It still seemed hard or at least I felt I was working hard because I was breathing hard.

Does the bar being up higher compromise which muscles you are working -- or not -- versus the muscles you work with the bar all the way on the floor. The bar sets low on the floor because the most weight I have been able to put on it are 2 five pound plates with two 2.5 pound weights.

Appreciate your feedback.

I have mine 12" off the floor too at my chiropractor's insistence. I have low back/hip problems. He helps train athletes into using the proper form while lifting and he said that it wouldn't compromise anything by raising the bar to protect my back. The bar all the way on the floor will cause your back to round if you don't have enough weight on it to lift it to a foot high. Putting weights under it is another way to raise it up. You should be able to do a full squat, put your arms down, and have the bar right where you need it. If you have to go lower than a squat to grab the bar, raise it up!
  • I don't think 12" is too far. From what I have watched on You Tube & seen in the books it's supposed to be mid-calf height for regular dead lifts. When i first started I used weight plates and stacked 2-3 high to get it where I needed.

Happy lifting!!
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Thankk you guys so much. I started with the bar on the floor for the first three weeks and it seemed to put me in an unnatural position when picking the weight up. I just could not squat down that far without rounding my back. This makes it so much easier.
  • dafoots0911
    Thank you Hollysings. It did not feel comfortable on the floor. Now I can better concentrate on form.
  • dafoots0911
    Runn3Rmom, I will be happy lifting now. I was dreading those deadlifts.
  • dafoots0911
    I had the same problem, but I started with just the 45 lb bar which sits practically on the floor. Someone on another post suggested to put weights under the bar so the bar itself sits higher up, making it easier to grab and lift. I hope this makes sense and helps you. I am just starting off with the program so I hope I am giving you some good info. Can't wait to see other responses to this one.
    Thanks Curlygirl. I feel so much better after reading all the responses.