Introductions

BinaryPulsar
BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
Hello, I figured I would start this thread to introduce myself and why I like this book, and also so that anyone else that wants to can as well.

I am a dancer. I started dancing when I was 11, got my BA in dance, and dance professionally (I'm also a mother). I also have a very long history of injuries. I was born with a genetic problem in my feet/legs which was corrected with casts and shoes. I developed a very bad case of patellofemoral pain syndrome in my knees when I was 14, along with a growing problem. In addition to that I have experienced many injuries by external force: broken bones, torn muscles, torn ligaments, whip lash, nerve injuries (to name a few). I have also been injured in 4 car and bike accidents. Two of the car accidents were very serious (one because there were no seat belts, and the other because I was hit by a car while riding my bike). That's just the short story.

But, my life revolves around being physically fit, strong, flexible and mobile. And I've always thrived on physical activity and live a highly active lifestyle.

I also wanted to lift weights. I tried the women's book, but it was too many different things, changing often, and without a proper explanation of how to progress in a safe way if you have injuries and structural issues. So, I found the Life book and it's great. It's nice to have such wonderful information and to be able to progress in a way that is safe for my body and allows me to continue dancing without over-training.

I wish more people that have had injuries (or who rely on their body for their career) could know about this book because it would help a lot of people to be able to lift weights. A lot of the other info out there is not flexible and open in the right way (it's presented as do it all one way or not at all).

Nice to meet you all!!

Replies

• Hi friends! I am so excited to finally start this lifting routine. I have worked out at home for the past 5 years (with Jillian Michaels) however I have periods of time when I just get plain bored--then don't work out for a few months. It's been great to workout at home whenever my schedule allows with two small kids, but I am so ready to start a lifting heavy!

I have read several NROL books but have chosen this one to start with because it seems straight forward and I already know most of the moves. So excited to be apart of this group and to learn from everybody.