Newbie needing advise!!

Options
NewAngel35
NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
Hi there..I have just joined. This group was recommended to me after one of my posts on the forum about being on a very low calorie:sad: :sad: diet for 15+years.I am very worried about weight gain. I couldnt sleep last night so have been following the links I was given to youtube and back to here. It all sounds ok in theory.Yet I am very reluctant. Dont think I can cope with more weight gain.!!!!I am 14llbs over where I like to be and that makes me feel disgusting enough. I know my metabolism is broken..need help.!!::sad: :sad:

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. It is rather daunting thinking about eating so much after eating so little for a long time. Be sure to read this thread about what to expect when you start eating more: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

Be sure to post any questions you have, everyone here is very helpful. Good luck in your transition to EM2WL!
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    First of all, well done on coming here.

I know the idea of a possible initial weight gain is scary but I look at it this way. If you're driving along, take a wrong turning and end up at a dead end , you have to reverse to get back to where you can take the right way. Any gain is your body reversing damage until you can proceed with foward progression.

First steps are to figure out your BMR and TDEE. If you've been VLC for that long you def want to do a reset, that's eating at TDEE for usually 6-8 weeks, depending on the individual.
    If these figures really do scare you it might help increasing in stages. If you were well below BMR before, try eating your BMR for a week or two, then add 100 or so calories until you reach your TDEE.
    This may take longer as I'd suggest doing the full reset time once you get to TDEE so it's a longer process than just diving right in but it depends what works for you.

I'm sure others will be along with helpful advice and good luck on your journey.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    First steps are to figure out your BMR and TDEE. If you've been VLC for that long you def want to do a reset, that's eating at TDEE for usually 6-8 weeks, depending on the individual.
    If these figures really do scare you it might help increasing in stages. If you were well below BMR before, try eating your BMR for a week or two, then add 100 or so calories until you reach your TDEE.
    This may take longer as I'd suggest doing the full reset time once you get to TDEE so it's a longer process than just diving right in but it depends what works for you.

^^This..
    But I am just going to add that if you have been eating at less than 1200 calories, losing weight and you have now hit a plateau and came here to break the plateau.. unfortunately the advice given here is for long term weight loss and general health.. If you are coming from what I just mentioned, and as you said you were very low calorie I am guessing you plateaued.. you are going to gain weight eating more... just how your body is going to respond to food from being so low calorie and underfed.