Thinking Of Starting C25k

Options
AmandaTWaH
AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
Right now I mostly walk but I was out jogging earlier today and even if it was tough, I loved how it made me feel and I always hear everyone talking about Couch to 5k. I plan to start next week. I'm in serious need of a good sports bra and some new shoes. Ordered the bra online today and I'm going to get some shoes in the next few days so I'll be ready to do this without injury.

Any tips for shoes? I'm struggling with this one because good running shoes seem to be around $100 everywhere I look and I really can't afford to spend that if it is avoidable in any way.

Any other tips for someone getting started? I'm 335 pounds but I've been doing a lot of different workouts like dancing, yoga, and strength training.

Also, I see that there are 3 workouts per week and you are supposed to rest in between. Is it okay to do light cardio like walking and strength training on off days?

Replies

• DeeDee1066
    DeeDee1066 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started with a pair of 2 year old New Balance running shoes and used those the first 3 weeks then treated myself a gait assessment at the local running store before i bought my $110 shoes. The new shoes have made a huge difference in my knees and hip pain. I'm pretty much pain free now most days. I'm on week 7. Start in the ones you have. Put back a few bucks each time you run (say $10). In 3 weeks you'll have $90 bucks to go toward a new pair of shoes!

I do highly recommend you go to a shop that can look at your gait and pick the best pair for you. I believe it made all the difference for me.

Dee Dee
  • AmandaTWaH
    Options
    My current shoes are so thin that even walking is sore in them. At my weight shoes seem to wear a lot faster. Plan to pick some up in the next week or so but I've gotta try to stay within my budget. Any suggestions for some cheaper running shoes until I can get some nicer ones? I can put money away each week towards some good shoes but I don't want to keep putting off getting started until I get them or I'll never actually do it!
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Good shoes are essential. I was more into running when I was way fitter and I remember getting ankle pains from running on hard surfaces (in the city) in tennis-like shoes. That magically went away after I bought proper running shoes. And the more the weight, the more the stress on the joints, so... treat yourself with care.
  • LooptLou25
    LooptLou25 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Go for it, you'll be amazed how quickly you will improve. I happily walk on my rest days, just to keep the joints moving more than anything, plus at least I feel I'm still doing something! Tip - go slow, make sure your pace is not too fast, I started on treadmill & too quick & turned it down a couple times to get a sensible pace - that seriously helps!
  • Tisch1985
    Tisch1985 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I could never run I did try but was in to much pain! Now that i have new running shoes i can run and i love it! I realy think you should keep your money and safe up some more so you can buy good shoes it will be worth it!
  • Kjngrrl
    Kjngrrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My current shoes are so thin that even walking is sore in them. At my weight shoes seem to wear a lot faster. Plan to pick some up in the next week or so but I've gotta try to stay within my budget. Any suggestions for some cheaper running shoes until I can get some nicer ones? I can put money away each week towards some good shoes but I don't want to keep putting off getting started until I get them or I'll never actually do it!

I was able to buy a good pair of Saucony at Famous Footwear. The have other brands of "running" style shoes. I did my research on the best types for me and ended up with something in the same family (the actual ones I probably should have gotten were $100+). I was able to use a coupon and got them for somewhere in the $50 range. Once I've proven to myself that I'm sticking with this, I can reward myself with a more expensive pair -- something to look forward to!
  • tajour
    tajour Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would strongly suggest you invest in those good shoes, even if it means delaying the program a couple of weeks while you save up the money.

You don't want to derail your progress by hurting your knees or developing shin splints in the first couple of weeks, and if your shoes aren't supportive enough, this will likely happen. Then you will have no fun, and will have to quit while you heal.

But, once you've got those, have fun! Listen to your body and rest when it needs to. You don't have to finish the program on the time scale it has. I started it about 20 pounds ago (I'm 212 now) and have had a couple of weeks where I've hung out and re-did. I'm on Week 8 now, 28 minutes of running and am so amazed that I can actually do that! It's an awesome program.
  • Lisame11
    Lisame11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm doing week 5 of C25k. I've loved starting with 8 x 60 seconds running, which was plenty long enough, but achievable. It has meant I was not defeated or knocking my confidence. This week I ran for 2 sets of 8mins constant - which is a massive achievement.

The things that helped me most are finding the right stretches for hamstrings, achilles & calves, warming up properly, and buying the most supportive running shoes I could afford at the time. I am 3 stone overweight at the moment so my joints have a lot to deal with when I'm running - my running shoes and correct posture really help me overcome those problems.

I've been delighted to find that not only am I losing weight and getting fitter all the time, my outlook is more positive, my energy levels have increased, and I am really, honestly enjoying the freedom of being outside and running to music!

I hope this helps. :-)
  • AmandaTWaH
    Options
    Thanks guys! My plan is to go to a running store to get an idea of what kind of shoes I should get and see how much they will be there and then look online to see if I can find any deals. I have $50 set aside for shoes but my fiancée seems open to letting me spend a bit more if I can't find shoes within my budget.
  • AmandaTWaH
    Options
    Going to the shoe store on Friday! Can't wait to get started Monday. I just need to find somewhere safe to run.
  • NatashaRuz
    Options
    I started running a few weeks ago. I bought a pair of Asics running shoes through Amazon. Paid $60.00 on sale. Awesome shoes for the level I'm at.
    As you lose weight it will get better and easier too.
    Get a good pair of shoes!! :)
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    Im not sure where you live but in Chicago we have a nordstroms rack. I got my running shoes there. Regular prices was $120 and I got mine for 60! A good pair of running shoes is key or you will have pain in your joints and such.
    Good luck!!
  • AmandaTWaH
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. If I can find some for $60 I would be set. Either way I'll figure it out by Monday.
  • Kjngrrl
    Kjngrrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Also don't forget to invest in a good running bra. They can be pricy, but if you are gifted in that dept, it's just as impt as the shoes. Otherwise, you end up clutching your chest the entire time.