Runners..pre race food??

Options
I am running a half marathon this sunday. I am only on day 3 of eating Paleo so i'm totally a newbie. What do you recommend eating before a race to give you lasting energy!??

Replies

• cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I actually run good fasted! But I only run 2-3 miles!! I think you might have to eat a banana!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    Options
    Oh I'm running 13 miles so a banana won't be enough! I am ravenous in the morning and on the morning of a race i need to make sure i've had plenty to eat.
  • beckie32536
    beckie32536 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Lately instead of using gu-type products, I've been packing dates in my running belt. They taste great, are easy to chew/swallow, and provide the sugar spike I need. On race days, I typically eat the same as I would on any other day...1 cup of bulletproof coffee and 3-4 scrambled eggs cooked in coconut oil. Breakfast plus the dates keeps me going just fine.

Good luck on your race. I've got mine in a few more weeks (21 Oct).
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    Options
    Lately instead of using gu-type products, I've been packing dates in my running belt. They taste great, are easy to chew/swallow, and provide the sugar spike I need. On race days, I typically eat the same as I would on any other day...1 cup of bulletproof coffee and 3-4 scrambled eggs cooked in coconut oil. Breakfast plus the dates keeps me going just fine.

Good luck on your race. I've got mine in a few more weeks (21 Oct).

Thank you! I've never had dates, but it sounds like I need to check them out. What is the bulletproof coffe? i've seen that on some paleo fourms but haven't looked into it. I have a race on 10/21 too!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    What is the bulletproof coffe? i've seen that on some paleo fourms but haven't looked into it.

Think a couple of mugs of coffee with some fat blended into it. Like half-a-stick to a stick of butter, some coconut oil, ghee, or even lard if you're into that kinda thing - like me.
    Absolutely delicious, filling and energising. That said, I just love coffee in general. Runs in my veins.

As for your run... I too suggest something like a banana along with some dried fruit. Dates are nice, but so is variety, so maybe mix it up with some dried mango, apricot, cranberries, etc. 'Course, you could start your morning with a big-*kitten* energising smoothie. That could do it.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I find sweet potatoes, berries, banana's good.

this is useful

http://pinterest.com/pin/110971578288967936/

18647785927468236_MXKv49cv_f.jpg