Fitbit questions

Options
Leigh14
Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
So ... I'm thinking of getting one to get a more accurate TDEE. I've just got a few questions for Fitbit owners!

1. Was your TDEE close to the one given by online calculators?
2. If you also own a heart rate monitor (I have the Polar F6 and LOVE it), does the Fitbit replace it?
3. What do you use your Fitbit for and is it worth the investment?

That is all. Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    1. Nope. Seems my TDEE was actually about 130 cal less than the online calculators.. but I do have weeks where Im above the online ones too.. but generally my average right now is less.
    2. No. the fitbit does not have a HRM in it and will not replace one.
    3. I use it for tracking my TDEE, my steps, and motivation to keep moving around. Mine was a gift from friends, so it was well worth it for me. However there has been a huge bug in the linking between fitbit and MFP, so for the time being I dont sync them together and just use my fitbit to track my TDEE. So the cals are out slightly because it is not accurate for strength training. but its not a major deal for me.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I bought mine because I wanted to get a good idea of my TDEE. I use it in conjunction with a Polar FT4.

I use the FT4 when cycling, swimming, strength training and using a treadmill on an incline. I log the start times and durations of these activities on MFP which links across to fitbit. I let fitbit do the rest. I wear it every day and I do use the sleep function too.

I was never sure if my TDEE should me moderate or high activity but having the fitbit helped me get a more accurate picture and my TDEE works out around 2750 which falls just below the most strenuous activity setting according to Scooby (which gives TDEE 2794).

I also looked into the Bodymedia Fit but it's very expensive in the UK and I didn't want to have to pay the subscription fee on top of that so using fitbit and FT4 combined was my compromise and it seems to be working for me so far.
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I think Fitbit is so worth, I just ordered my 3rd one....yep, I've lost 2. :cry: Tried wearing the 1st one on my waist band and lost it in a dressing room somewhere. Wore the 2nd one on my bra, which would have been awesome except it got me pulled out for a pat down in the airport on my way to DC. On my way back I took it off and put it on the strap of my purse and it disappeared. It definitely motivates me to take more stairs, make more trips to the copier, part farther away, etc.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    1. My TDEE is much much higher than the calculators. I severely underestimated my activity level when I started EM2WL. But even at the extremely active level on Scooby, my TDEE is still higher on my fitbit.
    2. I don't have an HRM, but if I did, I would use both!
    3. I wear my fitbit 100% of the time. I use it as the fitbit website says, tracking all activity and inactivity on the fitbit website. I use the sleep function, but I'm not entirely convinced of it's accuracy.
  • charliecat39
    Options
    I've heard of problems with driving, that it logs that as exercise as it goes with the motion of the car etc. Have you incurred this problem at all? Thanks :)
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I've heard of problems with driving, that it logs that as exercise as it goes with the motion of the car etc. Have you incurred this problem at all? Thanks :)

I have encountered it to some extent. For me, it only adds a few steps, but no floors. It's not a big deal to me since I "sit dance" in the car anyway, so I'm sure I should earn some extra movement! Joking aside, if you track that time as driving, it's supposed to remove the extra steps.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Nope, I've never had to adjust for driving.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    So ... I'm thinking of getting one to get a more accurate TDEE. I've just got a few questions for Fitbit owners!

2. If you also own a heart rate monitor (I have the Polar F6 and LOVE it), does the Fitbit replace it?

Sadly, it was less than the online calculators. I've really been busting my butt this week and at the HIGHEST it has been 2,388.... That's with a walk to the store, a run and weight lifting. It looks like a truly sedentary day would around 1800.

I still use both, but only replace my weight lifting HRM calories on the Fitbit site. I let the Fitbit calculate my walks and run.
    I'm still trying to figure this all out......so I still log separately on MFP and haven't linked the Fitbit to this site until I understand it better.

I've only had mine for less than a week, but I love it! I've been stuck for a LONG time, so I'm using it to see if I can lose some fat. :flowerforyou:

Good luck!
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you guys!! :flowerforyou:

I currently have the Polar F6 (LOVE!!) and it was an amazing investment. Contemplating a FitBit, too! One thing that intrigued me was the sleep tracking. I don't think I get quality sleep, so I'm interested in how many times I exactly wake up.
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Hi
    1 No Since I am disabled but not bed-ridden - I was above sedentary but not at light or even halfway between sedentary & light -it would have way too much trial & error to figure out what I was without the fitbit.
    2 nope - no prior HRM
    3 Constantly & I love it. Bought it mostly to see how many calories I was burning but it does encourage me to take more steps. I do not use the stair counter - I take elevators so it would be worth getting a Fitbit Zip. At $60 it is totally worth it. At 90+ it is still worth it. I use the sleep function too. I averaged waking up 7.2 times in Aug & 7.1 in September. But I am seeing that I average around 8 hours of sleep & pretty good efficiency.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    There's a Fitbit Users group that you can have a look through:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users