ODAAT

Options
I'm starting this thread in the hopes that people will post their experience, strength and hope ... one day at a time.
The tools of the Program are really essential for the emotional recovery that will help ease the urge to overeat, binge, feed sugar addictions and the like.
I hope that folks might want to see sharing here as a supplemental meeting - a nice jolt of OA recovery and support when things feel difficult. Consider this little spot your refuge!
And ... grant us all the serenity to accept the things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

Replies

• jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I've been struggling. My problem is that I do great on my own, but with friends I get trigger foods and I lose control. Had a day like that yesterday. And living by myself, I have trouble saying 'no' to outings. I bought the serenity prayer and am putting it up in my bedroom tonight! Thanks for letting me share.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    One day at a time, Overeaters Anonymous and God are doing for me what I could never do for myself--I am living free from sugar. junk foods, or cravings. My relationships are healing as I work the Steps and get honest with myself and others. My excess weight is disappearing; I am willing to measure and track my food, my sponsor is taking me through the Big Book.

I have lots of problems (money, etc), but my life is full beyond measure. I know this is because of the 12 steps, which show me how to LIVE, and my Higher Power, who runs the world much better than I ever could.

Thanks for letting me share.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    I used to be at meetings that would end with the Third Step Prayer (from Page 68 of the AA Big Book).
    The prayer is as follows:

God, I offer myself to Thee-
    To build with me
    and to do with me as Thou wilt.
    Relieve me of the bondage of self,
    that I may better do Thy will.
    Take away my difficulties,
    that victory over them may bear witness
    to those I would help of Thy Power,
    Thy Love, and Thy Way of life.
    May I do Thy will always!

This prayer has carried me through many a tough spot.
    I share it here as another tool, for when life feels really hard.
    It has been feeling ultra-difficult of late, so I need this prayer in my Tool Arsenal once again.

Thanks for letting me share!
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have a big test tomorrow and I'm freaking out. That makes me want to eat. :( I'm staying on plan today!
  • Maddalen101
    Options
    Yesterday I ate more than a pound of Holiday Grapes, and was shocked!
    Today I am committing to being aware of my food choices BEFORE they go into my mouth, not after!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Definitely get what those cal counts are before you eat stuff. Some innocuous stuff can be big cals! :)
  • raggyanndoll
    Options
    God, I offer myself to Thee-
    To build with me
    and to do with me as Thou wilt.
    Relieve me of the bondage of self,
    that I may better do Thy will.
    Take away my difficulties,
    that victory over them may bear witness
    to those I would help of Thy Power,
    Thy Love, and Thy Way of life.
    May I do Thy will always!

I have always loved the 7th step prayer--my favorite:

My Creator,
    I am now willing that you should have all of me,
    good and bad.
    I pray that you now remove from me
    every single defect of character which stands in the way
    of my usefulness to you and my fellows.
    Grant me strength, as I go out from here,
    to do your bidding.
    Amen

I like this one because it reminds me that I do not have to be perfect, that God wants and needs me just as I am. I can be helpful to others in the state I am in today as long as I do God's will today. I love this prayer.
  • MsSueBee
    MsSueBee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Good thread ... I say both the 3rd step and the 7th step prayer each morning during my quiet spiritual time. That time really pays off for me in better choices and more serenity throughout the day.
  • Maddalen101
    Options
    I knew there was a 7th step prayer, but wasn't familiar with it - thank you!

My share:
    I am struggling with eating mindfully - my inner brat really wants to go back and eat mindlessly.
    (Whoever said inner brats were smart?)
    For today, so far so good.
    I even measured out those Holiday Grapes for a snack, so that I would know what I was eating.
    Better than mindlessly eating 900 calories worth like I did last week!

Sanity is very difficult in this process, but I am getting there.

I also reset my goals to the ones MFP set for me at the start.
    Even though the calorie allotment is higher than what I think I should be eating, it's best to have a sane goal so that I don't feel as if I'm constantly failing.
    It also gives me room for treats - something I've been missing sorely.

I am struggling with hunger as well - trying to find ways to deal with still feeling VERY hungry even after a meal.
    I've commtted to waiting 20 minutes after a meal, and if I'm still hungry, working with it then.
    It's all day by day ... I'm just doing the best I can right now.

• janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Exc share!

Here's some things I do, but ymmv.

Hungry: I eat popcorn with Mr. Kernal's toppings.

http://www.popcorn.org/NutritionRecipes/NutritionYou/NutritionalInformation/tabid/96/Default.aspx

I spray my popcorn with water, I have an air popper now too.
  • Maddalen101
    Options
    Thanx Jane -
    A question for everyone:
    Any opinions on crosstalk?
    I'm OK with it, but we can go with the majority ...
  • raggyanndoll
    Options
    This is not an official OA meeting, so I don't mind cross-talk. Especially when it is encouraging and supportive.
  • Maddalen101
    Options
    Today is Thursday.
    I'm still struggling with Ms Inner Brat, who continues to crave toy food (aka goodies, esp. ones she hasn't tried before).
    And does NOT want to exercise.
    Hushing her up is not doing the trick.
    I'm really going to have to let her have her voice.
    Maybe that will help.
  • Maddalen101
    Options
    Monday. A new week.
    I am still struggling.
    still out there, in OA parlance.
    Doing my best to come back in.
  • julesoa
    julesoa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I am just joining in on this thread having been away on vacation for 2 weeks and then another couple of days away from home with work. It's been a real learning curve to me and ODAT became especially important. Whilst I was away my mind told me that a bowl of sugar-free ice cream would be fine for me to eat. My quiet little intuition ( God ) voice was saying "no, that's really not part of yourplan" but I went ahead anyway. Afterwards I felt so bad, physically I felt so sick and ill and it was like I'd been posioned, that's the only way I can describe it. My body doesn't like thatmassive dose of fat and sugar-type sweetness any more ( well she probably never did, did she, I jus wasnt listening!). And emotionally that night I felt absolute despair. My disease ( compulsive overeating) tells me 'well Thats it then, might as well give up etc et. and I felt such pain. But I remembered that I could ask for help, I said the step 3 and 7 prayers, in the morning I texted my sponsor and then I kept in touch with her by texting her my food every day. And one day at a time, or even right now, one meal at a time, I am restored to sanity :)
    I am very grateful for this experience. I think I needed reminding that I am only a bite away from compulsive overeating and not to get complacent or to think I can just try thigs out. I can't eat like a 'normal' person!! I need to have my lovely 3 meals a day of good food and stick to my MFP goals which gives me control ove portions. Hope that helps someone, it helps me to share it with you all :)
  • Lilflowr
    Lilflowr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Love all these posts.....being in recovery myself, I love this prayer that is said at many recovery meetings of whatever kind, mostly the shortened version but I love the full version myself.....

The Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
    To accept the things I cannot change;
    Courage to change the things I can;
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
    Enjoying one moment at a time;
    Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
    Taking, as He did, this sinful world
    As it is, not as I would have it;
    Trusting that He will make all things right
    If I surrender to His Will;
    So that I may be reasonably happy in this life
    And supremely happy with Him
    Forever and ever in the next.

Amen.
  • Maddalen101
    Options
    Happy Thursday!
    And Welcome to two new posters! Happy to see you here.
    Ms Inner Brat is starting to ease back and relax a bit, permitting me two small victories.
    Becoming sick to my stomach earlier this week helped me get back on track, but I'm still finding temptation all over.

Today I did something similar to another poster - gave in to a heavy-duty sweet that I really do know better than to eat.
    And ... had a similar experience. Felt sluggish, sick in the head and totally yuck.
    So ... remembering that feeling will help me not to give in in the future.
    The victory was that in the past, I would have had three or four - at least I was able to keep to just one.

Second victory: I did treadmill work yesterday - managed to walk a mile, and did a bit of weight work.
    (I have severe asthma and a replaced hip, so being able to walk a mile is HUGE.)

I really have to take this whole thing one day at a time, and not be terribly hard on myself.
    Yet I also have to be disciplined.
    Contradiction? I hope not.
    Today is one day, and tomorrow will be another.
    I can only keep the focus on today.

• Maddalen101
    Options
    I am realizing that just for today, I need to make room in my food plan for something sweet.
    If I don't, it's a path to total sabotage.
    I remember when I first joined OA, I made room for two"bad" sweet thing a day - a piece of pie, an ice cream cone, a slice of cake.
    As I lost weight and fiercely worked the steps, I was able to eventually bring it down to one sweet thing a day.
    I sometimes look at the diaries of folks who are going great guns with weight loss, and they are making room for goodies.
    So ... I will no longer deprive myself, but will have them, within reason - I'll make room for 1-2 a day.
    As long as I don't explode my MFP numbers!