Struggling with low carb

Options
2»

Replies

• pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I see many people who post here use coconut oil in coffee... can you taste it? I imagine the coffee to have a slight coconut flavour?

There are two types of coconut oil - one is refined and there isn't really a coconut taste at all. The other is pure, and it's exactly what it says, there is a strong coconut taste to it.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I always use extra virgin, organic, cold expeller pressed coconut oil.
  • samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    More ideas could be from atkins recipes on youtube. The user bowulf has many low carb recipes too.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/bowulf
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Dana Carpender has really great recipe books too, lots of simple recipes and most of them are not too fiddly.
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I see many people who post here use coconut oil in coffee... can you taste it? I imagine the coffee to have a slight coconut flavour?

I keep a spoon in the cup and stir away before I sip. I also add heavy whipping cream and cinnamon to my coffee everyday. And yeah, slightly coconutty. But I love it :)
  • zynx1234
    zynx1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ok so I went and tried the coconut oil in my coffee and it wasnt that b ad. I still dont like it in my food. but I guess I can drink it in my coffe
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of adding good fat sources, do that and the calories should not be a problem.

Heavy cream, coconut oil, I cook in 100% animal fat, raw nuts, bacon ... mmm, bacon ... it soon adds up :)

A big mistake for low carbing is to overdo the protein, we need to get good at burning fat and in the absence of excess carbohydrate good (natural) dietary fat will neither make us fat nor be unhealthy. Including saturated fat.

And don't fear salt, we need this too.

And water, obviously ;)

And we are all different, and you probably don't want to hear this, but 100g of carbs a day may not work well for you if you have been a big carb fan in the past. I'd shoot for half that.

Totall agree with this.