got my very first ever Greek yogurt.....need help.

Options
I am not a huge yogurt fan, but loved loved loved Yoplait's Whips. Unfortunately, i got wayyyyyy too used to the sweet fluffy taste and texture of Whips yogurt.

I saw how much protein is in Greek yogurt,
and bought two of the Yoplait Greek key-lime yogurts,
but, just tasted one,
and it tastes kind of chalky-ish to me.

anyone have any idea of something i could add to this greek yogurt to lessen that chalky-ish texture up a bit? til i adjust to it...?

Replies

• begreenbe
    begreenbe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Maybe try mixing the two together.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Maybe try mixing the two together.

that's brilliant, maybe i could wean myself off of the sweet fluffy yogurts doing that! THANKS!
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That or maybe add some fruit to it. You are just the opposite of me. I hate those sweet light and whipped yogurts. Greek came along with more tang and substance and I was in heaven. I guess I missed the chalky taste buds.

Pip
  • snarf432
    snarf432 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You could try the ones that have the honey or fruit add-ins they are pretty good. I am not a fan of key-lime..they are very sour. Far too different than happy fluffy sweet whipped yogerts you are used to. I like the combine them idea though.

Good luck
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    thanks all! Great info!!!

ah, the KeyLimePie whipped yogurt is to die for good:love: not bitter at all, just sweet like pie...
    ............but the Greek KeyLime one, not so much.:sick:

but, i bet i could learn to like it, maybe, if i try hard enough...i hate to waste these containers, so i will try messing around with them a bit. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!!!!!!
  • cmeroar68
    cmeroar68 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Along with giving fruit a try you could also add some granola or cereal, like cheerios in it. I love the Chobani yogurt and I put granola, and different cereals in it as I eat for the 'crunch' factor. Plus it takes longer to eat that way too!
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    THANKS, i will try that, too! This greek yogurt is so good for a person, i just have to find a way to develop a taste for it!
  • cookingcow
    cookingcow Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It could also just be the Yoplait brand of greek yogurt. I find I really dislike most greek yogurts because of the texture, kind of a gritty texture. My personal favorite brand is Chobani, they have GREAT flavors.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    For Greek Yogurt, try Chobani next time. I dislike the grainy, chalky taste that most brands have, but I found Chobani to be surprisingly smooth compared to most other brands.

Their peach is really good, and uses nice chunks of peaches. Most of the other flavors don't have the same amount of fruit as that particular flavor.
  • kathyFS
    Options
    Try Danone Oikos Vanilla. Delicious. It is my favourite snack. I eat 1/3 cup twice a day.
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the Oikos vanilla w/mandarin oranges!
  • jessgarfblake
    Options
    the key lime is my favorite!

Personally, I think the texture and taste of greek yogurt is something you have to aquire. WE are so used to eating sugary stuff that it's hard for our taste buds to like new, healthier things..I like eating it with fresh fruit. The lime or vanilla go great with berries or melon.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    i am SO writing down all these suggestions, and am very grateful for each and every reply!! THANK YOU!!:flowerforyou:
  • m0mofw4r
    m0mofw4r Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I learned that I only like Greek yogurt either as a sour cream substitute or with honey - otherwise it is just not my thing.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    That is a good idea, too, that i hadn't considered, is using greek yogurt as a sour cream kind of thing....THANKS! i have never liked sour cream, but, i could use greek yogurt as a thickener now and then, in some recipes.
  • msbluekatt
    Options
    I like vanilla with 1 T PB2 powder added. If you don't have PB2, use 1 T peanut butter. It really is tasty!! :happy:
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    wow, that is great idea, too! I WILL find a way to get myself to like greek yogurt!!!

THANKS TO EVERY SINGLE PERSON on this thread!!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I like the Dannon light and fit greek yogurt. If you don't like the brand you bought, try another. You will eventually find one you like :)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I like FAGE with the add ins on the side, however even greek yogurt (most of the flavored kinds) has a lot of sugar so I try not to eat too much yogurt. I can't eat the plain and eating one greek yogurt I am almost to or above my sugar goal for a day.
  • donnakcraig
    donnakcraig Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Dr's said buy the REAL (plain) type. I buy a big tub, add blueberries and a little sweeter. now i love it.