Whoops...Female surgery patients, I need your advice

Options
Hello All,
So the unthinkable happened. Truly did not believe I could regain fertility in a month. Positive pregnancy test, so I'm about 6 weeks along. Had gastric bypass surgery on July 30, 2012. Bad news. I would like to know if any of you have experienced pregnancies that early after surgery, the complications you faced, or the reasons why you chose to end the pregnancy. This is my second pregnancy, but I have no children. We were not planning on having children for at least three more years, since we are both in school. I am 28 and so is my partner. I am not looking for religious reasons to keep the child. I need to look out for myself and know the facts on whether it's truly worth it to keep the child. I got the surgery to lose weight and become healthy. If I keep the child, I'm afraid that will not happen and I went though all this pain for nothing. Constructive, true advice from your experience or a friend/family member's experience please.

Replies

• Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I say discuss this with your bariatric surgeon. I have heard of women early out like you who have had healthy pregnancies. You may want to check out the pregnancy board on obesityhelp.com.
  • rachelboddy
    rachelboddy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks Laura. I've set up a prenatal appt as well as called and am trying to set up an appt with my surgeon to discuss this. I'll look up the pregnancy board on that website as well.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was told NOT to get pregnant for AT LEAST 1 full year post surgery. They even strongly advise female patients of child-bearing age switch their birth control from the pill to depo-provera, as our bodies can't absorb the pill after surgery therefore making them completely ineffective. The reason they say not to get pregnant after surgery is because our bodies need the vitamins and supplements to HEAL and, if we get pregnant, the baby will take whatever we do asborb for themselves, leaving us malnourished and malnutritioned. Also, the baby is then only getting HALF of the nutrients it needs since we only absorb about half of the vitamins and supplements we take post-surgery, so your baby will be extremely malnourished as well.

This is a big uh oh.......................................................
  • rachelboddy
    Options
    I understand what was told and I also understand many healthy babies have been born. Life happens sometimes. Now I just have to talk to doctors and get their medical advice.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    I guess the question begs, "why didn't you switch birth control if you understood everything?"
    Eek. I'd be TERRIFIED for my pouch rupturing/splitting/getting infections. OMG. Even now I think about it....and no way am I thinking about having kids, or risking a pregnancy, until I am 100% healed!

Also, did it not hurt having sex so soon after surgery? I couldn't for 2 months, and even then...it hurt like hell :(
  • TheBestSR
    TheBestSR Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine had a Lap Band and had an unexpected pregnancy 6 weeks later. She was totally healthy, the baby was great and she just didn't have her band filled during the time of the pregnancy. I know that after the birth, she went back to the Dr. for fills and started up with her weight loss again. I think the benefit of the lap band for her was actually that it helped reign in the usual pregnancy weight and she gained much less. As long as you make sure you have your proper vitamins you should be fine.

Best wishes.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I guess the question begs, "why didn't you switch birth control if you understood everything?"
    Eek. I'd be TERRIFIED for my pouch rupturing/splitting/getting infections. OMG. Even now I think about it....and no way am I thinking about having kids, or risking a pregnancy, until I am 100% healed!

Also, did it not hurt having sex so soon after surgery? I couldn't for 2 months, and even then...it hurt like hell :(

1. though it is TMI, I had sex the night I got home from the hospital, last I checked they didn't cut anywhere near my bits and my pain managment was well balanced. No one should be judged for their intimate relations.
    2. If you don't have a cycle or have such an irregular one for years and years it is easy to think nothing is going to change in such a short time as a month. Also not every doctor mentions switching birth control, mine didn't.

The mistake happened so judging what she should have, could have done, isn't what she needs. She needs some support and honest thought about her and her unborns outcomes if she proceeds with the pregnancy.

My 2 cents: You can have a healthy baby, it will be a struggle to get enough nutrition and calories, there is some research to indicate fat loss during pregnancy can negatively affect baby's brain development and there is research to say your weight loss journey will be less successful. The decision of what to do is between you, the father, and your doctor. Either way if you want this, you can make it work, it might be harder but the tool works and the baby is only going to be in there for 40 weeks.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You question whether it is "worth it" to keep the baby since you went thru so much to have the surgery and get healthier. In my opinion, every child is a blessing. Do not take this opportunity forgranted. If you and the dad can agree that although the timing is not perfect due to your school committments, etc but you still want to take on this responsibility, then I say talk with the docs and they will get you thru this in a healthy way and also be sure your surgery will benefit you at the appropriate time. Don't be hasty in your decision. If you do decide to go forward with this, I bet you will look back on it as a blip on the radar in a few years and be so thankful you took the more difficult path.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    She needs some support and honest thought about her and her unborns outcomes if she proceeds with the pregnancy.

That's what I gave..... my honest thoughts. I think it's terrible and risks infection and malnutrition to both you and the baby.
  • Elizabeth360
    Elizabeth360 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    We had surgery the same day! :) If I were in your situation, I would talk to my surgeon first. I know that I am barely getting enough nutrients and calories to support myself at this point, let alone a pregnancy. I was told to avoid getting pregnant for 2 years after surgery for that reason. However, if your surgeon and GP think that you can have a safe viable pregnancy at this point, I wish you the best! Take care!
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    The decision is yours and yours alone whatever you decide is right for you at this time.

I will say, I am a lap bander and when I had my op it was unknown that I was about 7 or 8 weeks pregnant.

We had a very healthy and beautiful son, who is nearly 2 now, and so I restarted my weight loss after I finished breast feeding him.

If you want to continue then do so but make sure you get all the nutrition you need. If you dont want to, then do what you feel is right

xx
  • rachelboddy
    Options
    I haven't been on birth control for years folks... like I said I've been infertile for YEARS. Getting pregnant in the first month of surgery was not something we considered a risk. I have PCOS. We assumed after I had lost weight and after the first month, we could consider condoms, etc. I wish you didn't treat me like a child. Life happens. I've had my prenatal visit, got an ultrasound and heard the wonderful heart beat. We are excited about our little surprise. Things are not going to rupture inside me lol. The only risks is nutrition and hydration. I have to eat lots of protein shakes and drink lots of water. We're going to be just fine. Get your facts first, please.
  • rachelboddy
    Options

1. though it is TMI, I had sex the night I got home from the hospital, last I checked they didn't cut anywhere near my bits and my pain managment was well balanced. No one should be judged for their intimate relations.
    2. If you don't have a cycle or have such an irregular one for years and years it is easy to think nothing is going to change in such a short time as a month. Also not every doctor mentions switching birth control, mine didn't.

The mistake happened so judging what she should have, could have done, isn't what she needs. She needs some support and honest thought about her and her unborns outcomes if she proceeds with the pregnancy.

My 2 cents: You can have a healthy baby, it will be a struggle to get enough nutrition and calories, there is some research to indicate fat loss during pregnancy can negatively affect baby's brain development and there is research to say your weight loss journey will be less successful. The decision of what to do is between you, the father, and your doctor. Either way if you want this, you can make it work, it might be harder but the tool works and the baby is only going to be in there for 40 weeks.

Thank you so much for the support and information! I don't think it's TMI lol. I also appreciate you taking to heart what this post was about instead of judging my situation.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I have no information or advice I can offer you, but I can offer my best wishes. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will do the work to ensure the best outcome. Best of luck.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    So glad things are working out for you. Best wishes to you both on a healthy pregnancy and a speedy arrival of your new wee one!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options

HOLY CR@P.....i could not even get out of bed on y own when i got home for nearly a week! lol :wink:
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    wow. you energetic lil bunny, lol. I had a sleeve and was in bed for 6 weeks due to pain!!! I cant imagine! lol.

Good luck with your little bundle of surprise! I think you will be fine :) Just stay in contact with drs etc.

Drs do a huge disservice to obese women with pcos telling them pregnancy is impossible. I almost died due to an ectopic...ugh! Now on birth control for life, lol.
  • rachelboddy
    Options
    wow. you energetic lil bunny, lol. I had a sleeve and was in bed for 6 weeks due to pain!!! I cant imagine! lol.

Good luck with your little bundle of surprise! I think you will be fine :) Just stay in contact with drs etc.

Drs do a huge disservice to obese women with pcos telling them pregnancy is impossible. I almost died due to an ectopic...ugh! Now on birth control for life, lol.

Glad you're ok! Yeah they're not as informative as they could be about us with PCOS. Had they been more direct in saying it could happen immediately no matter how long you've been infertile, perhaps we wouldn't be in this situation. But we're excited and happy nonetheless and will be making the best out of the situation!
  • authormarieskye
    authormarieskye Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well first off, Congratulations! I've never been pregnant, but I did have a friend that had her surgery about 6 weeks before me, and she actually got pregnant 6 weeks after she had surgery. I think the weight she did lose finally helped her get pregnant. She was still able to lose weight during her pregnancy and recently just had a beautiful baby girl.
    I was told though that the surgery causes our hormones to be out of whack so a pregnancy was a definite possibility. Keep us updated!
  • authormarieskye
    authormarieskye Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    and may I just add, that I LOVE the dress you're wearing in your picture