new. need a little advice!

I am 25 years old, 5'5 and 123 lbs. I don't want to lose much weight, maybe 5-8lbs, but I more so just want to maintain and tone. For the past few months I have been eating 1200 cals and have been jumping between 118-125lbs. I run outside for an hour 3 days a week, and 2 days a week i take an hour strength training class (weight lifting, squats, lunges, core exercises) and then do half an hour on the treadmill. I've been reading thru this group and decided to check out the scooby TDEE calculator. according to that i should be eating 1700cals to maintain my weight and 1618 if i want to lose a few lbs. i was a little overwhelmed when i seen that, does this sound accurate? I've read that it's good to only up my calories by about 100 each week? Also, should I expect to gain weight before I lose?! .. any advice you can give would be great. thank you :)

Replies

• zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    I am 25 years old, 5'5 and 123 lbs. I don't want to lose much weight, maybe 5-8lbs, but I more so just want to maintain and tone. For the past few months I have been eating 1200 cals and have been jumping between 118-125lbs. I run outside for an hour 3 days a week, and 2 days a week i take an hour strength training class (weight lifting, squats, lunges, core exercises) and then do half an hour on the treadmill. I've been reading thru this group and decided to check out the scooby TDEE calculator. according to that i should be eating 1700cals to maintain my weight and 1618 if i want to lose a few lbs. i was a little overwhelmed when i seen that, does this sound accurate? I've read that it's good to only up my calories by about 100 each week? Also, should I expect to gain weight before I lose?! .. any advice you can give would be great. thank you :)

Try to eat a bit below your TDEE, try 1400-1500. You don't have much to lose, that's why it is hard for the weight to come off. And with your activities, i guess eating at 1200 is not enough. Running for an hour alone could burn a lot of those calories, and what is left is just maybe enough for your body to fuel your other activities and other bodily functions.. So that might be the reason why your body is holding onto that reserve fat for energy.. Increase your cal intake, and see what happens. It's not what the scale say that matters, it's what you see in the mirror. :)
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    If you want to maintain and tone, you should eat your TDEE. If it overwhelms you, up your calories by 100 a week or at least try to net above your BMR for a while. I ate at 1200 calories for 14 weeks before starting EM2WL so I know how you feel! I upped to my BMR (1700 + exercise cals) and upped to TDEE a month later. It worked well for me and I didn't really gain. But from what I understand, that's unusual. Most people will gain when they start eating more as their body tries to get used to eating more.
  • Great! thank you both so much for your help :) .. i think i will start with my BMR first and slowly make my way to below TDEE, until i'm ready to maintain. I probably wasn't giving my body enough fuel and i think a change in my eating habit will be what i need to kick start it again. plus it is very hard to stay under 1200 calories everyy day! after my body adjusts I think I'll be much happier.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Great! thank you both so much for your help :) .. i think i will start with my BMR first and slowly make my way to below TDEE, until i'm ready to maintain. I probably wasn't giving my body enough fuel and i think a change in my eating habit will be what i need to kick start it again. plus it is very hard to stay under 1200 calories everyy day! after my body adjusts I think I'll be much happier.

Sounds like you have a good plan! Good luck!