Head bang... sigh. Another bad article about Paleo on HuffPo

Options
caribougal
caribougal Posts: 865 Member
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/20/paleo-diet-healthy_n_1898529.html

"Although in theory this may seem like a sensible diet, particularly when removing sugar and salt, it has eliminated several food groups like dairy and grains, which provide essential nutrients, such as calcium, vitamin D, magnesium and phosphorus in dairy and B vitamins, fiber and antioxidants in grains," says Joy Dubost, a registered dietician and a spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. "Legumes also provide a great protein source with little fat and lower in calories while providing essential nutrients and fiber."

Um, yes, but we're getting all those things from more nutrient-dense veggies, fish, and meat.

"There's no real research behind it either. And it eliminates things that do have research behind them: grains, beans and low-fat dairy."

Oh really? http://www.paleoforlife.org/research

"And while the diet's restrictive nature might result in initial weight loss, it can be problematic as a long-term weight loss solution, according to the researchers we spoke with. When you eliminate whole food groups, you are bound to pay more attention to what you eat. And the ban on refined grains, salt and sugars means that processed foods are out. For those with a relatively processed diet, that will likely result in weight loss. And excess weight is one of the major associated conditions to high cholesterol, high blood pressure and pre-diabetes."

So, the first sentence has nothing to do with the rest of the paragraph, and in fact is completely unsupported with any references.

"If you lose weight, your cholesterol comes down. Weight loss will help all of those other things, with the exception of certain cases, where there’s a genetic predisposition," says Sassoon. In this way, Rita's doctor may be correct: if she currently eats a diet high in refined carbs, processed meals and sugar-laden treats, the Paleo Diet is certainly a step in the right direction. But if she already has a diet full of fresh produce, lean proteins and whole foods, Paleo eating may not result in weight loss and may prevent healthy eating behaviors that come naturally. "If someone eats low-fat plain yogurt with berries for breakfast, that's not allowed on the diet," says Sassoon."

Ok, this is basically saying Paleo is good, except if you already eat that way, you won't lose more weight. Uh, ok. Last sentence... if you eat primal you can eat yogurt and berries, but bring on the full-fat yogurt!!! No mention of primal in the article, but it makes it seem crazy that you aren't allowed to eat BERRIES! Yes, you can eat berries.

"There's also problematically little stated about saturated fat. As part of the Paleo diet, it would be easy to choose cuts of meat that are sky-high in artery-clogging LDL cholesterol and saturated fat. Especially for someone used to eating low-fat dairy protein, this switch would be harmful to cholesterol levels. And while the Paleo diet is high in fiber (thanks to all the fresh produce), forbidden foods like whole grain oats, beans and other grain and legume sources of fiber have been found to help moderate cholesterol levels."

Should we send them all the cholesterol reports from the group here on MFP? Spirit80? How many times do we need to say that dietary cholesterol does NOT equal blood cholesterol. And, no mention of the fact that Paleo stresses eating grass-fed and humanely raised, local meats vs CAFO. And yes, there is saturated fat in meat, but we're also eliminated a TON of trans-fats from all the processed foods we don't eat. And, eliminating high PUFA oils too since Paleo recommends not using seed oils.

"There's another, wholly unrelated problem: pleasure. "It eliminates quinoa, ice cream, pasta -- these things we love to eat, that make us social creatures," says Sassoon. "And that means we're less likely to stick with it, more likely to binge. It's not just about losing weight, it’s also about learning how to enjoy food in a healthy way."

What? Quinoa? Oh yeah, I'm regularly chowing down on quinoa at happy hour. I'll give it to the author on ice cream, but maybe I should point her to all the many wonderful paleo bloggers out there creating awesome recipes.

"So does the Paleo Diet really lower cholesterol and help with many of the conditions that lead to metabolic syndrome? Only insofar as they cut out sugary, fatty and processed foods. Buy you can do that without eliminating whole food groups or imitating the eating patterns -- most likely dictated by food scarcity -- of pre-agrarian ancestors."

Sigh. No mention of WHY those things are eliminated, gluten sensitivity, inflammation, leptin resistance, unhealthy psychological response to sugars...

sigh. back to work.

Replies

• beckie32536
    beckie32536 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Love your commentary and analysis!!
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    And that's why I decided not to go the RD route and am looking at more holistic nutrition programs. Let's keep banging our heads against the "heart healthy whole grains and low fat" wall while we continue to lumber towards obesity.

Great commentary.
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I was eating a healthy vegan diet full of whole grains. I developed a host of health problems. I added back dairy and eggs, started getting better. Added back meat and my workout recovery times dropped. Paleo and Primal kept coming up in blogs I was reading, and I'd cut most grains and beans out already, so I decided to try it and I literally have not felt better in my life. Even as a child, I was plagued with allergies, stomach trouble, skin trouble, mood imbalance, and weight gain. Sticking with a Primal diet (I think my yogurt is really helping to restore my damaged digestive tract) has changed my life and changed the way I feel about food and even myself.

There are a lot of naysayers out there, and those who just want to call it another fad. This is why I don't usually even mention that what I am doing has a name. I usually just go with, "I'm on a strict diet that keeps my allergies under control."
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I laughed through the whole thing, people can be so blinded
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Grains and gluten make me vomit, bloat up and turn red. I'll take Paleo any day over conventional crap.

And why low fat crap? It's far too runny and flavourless; ever tried low-fat cottage cheese?... There's, like, juice in it. Ugh, Natural, full-fat FTW.
  • luckylilypants
    Options
    Ugh! It annoys me SO MUCH when articles focus on the things we are allegedly missing out on by skipping grains and dairy. Seriously, those nutrients are EASY to get from other sources.
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The American economy is deeply invested in grains. The government wants us to use corn products. I know that sounds all conspiracy theory, but "grain fed beef" and "vegetable oil" rhetoric is a good example of how the government sets its guidelines for nutrition according to what needs to be sold from the national pantry. We should all be patriotic "corn-fed" Westerners. :)

I have also stopped reading nutrition articles in the media. I also remind myself who writes them - people who get paid by the article for seeding them with search words, who write on any topic, who have no expertise (in some cases, not even grammar), who do no actual interviews or research.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I commend you for reading it. I just about threw up when I read that "eliminating a food group"...."essential nutrients" "not sustainable".
    What complete horsesh!t. A moron, so not worth my time.

Anyone that says this "diet" isn't sustainable is a moron.
    How is "jenny craig" sustainable?
    How is "restricting calories to X" sustainable?

I guarantee anyone commenting like this hasn't done it so - I don't really care what they think.
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The American economy is deeply invested in grains. The government wants us to use corn products. I know that sounds all conspiracy theory, but "grain fed beef" and "vegetable oil" rhetoric is a good example of how the government sets its guidelines for nutrition according to what needs to be sold from the national pantry. We should all be patriotic "corn-fed" Westerners. :)

I have also stopped reading nutrition articles in the media. I also remind myself who writes them - people who get paid by the article for seeding them with search words, who write on any topic, who have no expertise (in some cases, not even grammar), who do no actual interviews or research.

^^ Truth. Pure truth.
  • domez
    domez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just mindbogling.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    Options
    Ridiculous! Plain and simple. Did give me a good laugh though.