TDEE or fitbit

s50s
s50s Posts: 138 Member
I started eating EM2WL been eating between 1800-1900. I purchased a fitbit and it shows I need to eat more. Should I stick with my DTEE without exercise calories, or go with what my fitbit says daily?

Replies

• rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    What does your TDEE say it should be (not the cut)? What does the FB say you are expending in an average week?
  • s50s
    What does your TDEE say it should be (not the cut)? What does the FB say you are expending in an average week?

My TDEE is 2146 (light activity) 2420 (moderate), I go in between. My FB says calories burned average for 6 days 2497.
  • rachmass1
    If your FB is only 6-days old it hasn't had a chance to learn your patterns and activity yet. You might want to wait about 3-4 weeks to base your TDEE off of the FB. Mine read higher at first, and now it seems to read lower and lower the more it knows me (I have had it since May). Otherwise it is simply telling you that you are moderately active, not what you thought. Again, if it is newer you need to give it a bit of time.
  • s50s
    If your FB is only 6-days old it hasn't had a chance to learn your patterns and activity yet. You might want to wait about 3-4 weeks to base your TDEE off of the FB. Mine read higher at first, and now it seems to read lower and lower the more it knows me (I have had it since May). Otherwise it is simply telling you that you are moderately active, not what you thought. Again, if it is newer you need to give it a bit of time.

So just continue eating my TDEE calories. It just shows I am so low on my net on mfp, and thats okay?
  • rachmass1
    Well I am no expert on the EMTWL mode (I am trying) but I have good experience with my FB. I know for a fact mine measured high at the beginning and then as it got to know me, reduced. Right now it tells me I average around 1,900 per day, but at the beginning it had me around 2,200 or more. I simply eat 250-300 less than it tells me, which is right in line with what my TDEE is supposed to be. That said, if I do exercises it doesn't track, I'll add them in (it doesn't track my Aikido as I am not wearing that puppy on the mat).

If you had help figuring out your TDEE from the fine folks here, I would stick with that and watch the FB figures in a few weeks, but disregard them for the moment.
  • s50s
    Sounds good, thanks!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Well I am no expert on the EMTWL mode (I am trying) but I have good experience with my FB. I know for a fact mine measured high at the beginning and then as it got to know me, reduced. Right now it tells me I average around 1,900 per day, but at the beginning it had me around 2,200 or more. I simply eat 250-300 less than it tells me, which is right in line with what my TDEE is supposed to be. That said, if I do exercises it doesn't track, I'll add them in (it doesn't track my Aikido as I am not wearing that puppy on the mat).

If you had help figuring out your TDEE from the fine folks here, I would stick with that and watch the FB figures in a few weeks, but disregard them for the moment.

I had the opposite problem, my fitbit TDEE drastically increased as it got to know me...I would give it a month before making any changes. However, if you're netting below BMR with your fitbit numbers, I would suggest eating a bit extra to make sure you don't. If you find yourself consistently needing to eat an "extra" hundred calories to get about BMR, then you should make the change on MFP. Hope that helps!
  • bellabrite
    bellabrite Posts: 89 Member
    I think there are too few activity categories on Scooby to choose from. The jump between categories is too big. This is why a fitbit helps. For me, Scooby gives me a TDEE of about 2250. My fitbit has shown me over two months that my average burn per day is about 2100. Depending on the day I burn 1900 to 2300.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member

So just continue eating my TDEE calories. It just shows I am so low on my net on mfp, and thats okay?

If you're doing TDEE -20% rather than BMR + eating your exercise calories, the Food Log adjustment is unnecessary and annoying. I finally unsynched my FitBit and MFP because I didn't like the way it messed up my food log. If you were eating your exercise calories, synching the two makes sense. Otherwise, I don't see a benefit to it myself.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    I think there are too few activity categories on Scooby to choose from. The jump between categories is too big. This is why a fitbit helps. For me, Scooby gives me a TDEE of about 2250. My fitbit has shown me over two months that my average burn per day is about 2100. Depending on the day I burn 1900 to 2300.

Agreed! But for me Scooby doesn't go high enough. Runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off for 12 hours a day is not a choice! (Obviously the highest TDEE Scooby has is still too low for me.) That's why the fitbit is so helpful! It helps you figure out your individual activity level. But you do have to give it some time.

I only use the food log adjustment to make sure I net above BMR. On my high burn days (3400) even at only a 10% cut from TDEE, I would net below my BMR. But the linking can be very confusing!
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member

I agree that scooby doesn't have enought too choose from. I take an average between light and moderate and take my cut from there. I just tok my cut from 15% to 12.5%. I don't have a fitbit. I would like to atleast have a HRM to track my exercise calories but...