Struggling with kickboxing club

Options
Tank_Girl
Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
I cant seem to click with my local kickboxing club... ever since the start ive noticed things which seem a little odd

The few members that appear to have been around for a while rarely attend, some nights theres only 2 or 3 of us other nights there could be 10 or 15..

Last few weeks there is an increasing number of teenagers 12/13/14
& with this increase there has been a decrease in adult members

I know there are a lot of newer members myself included but we do very little sparring just fitness type stuff
also beginners using bags without being taught how to kick, punch properly
Socks worn in the ring?
socks worn doing pad work?

I really feel like im at some kind of boxfit class rather than as a part of a kickboxing club
Im starting to wonder if my instructor should be running a club at all

am I being melodramatic? Im starting to think about looking for another club

Replies

• mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Sounds like there are some issues, but before finding a new place, try talking it over with the instructor. Find out what they expect their members to do/learn and see if it is meshing with what you want to learn, and what people are actually learning. Sometimes schools have periods of transition or struggles, but sometimes the instructor just doesn't know what they are doing.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    sounds odd to me. Not the type of club I'd want to go to. You have to feel safe and with them not caring about things like wearing socks on a slippery floor and the focus being all over the place, I wouldn't be comfortable.

Numbers can go up and down and teaching styles vary but if your guts telling you it's not right then you know to listen to it.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Teaching styles and attitudes vary club to club. Saying that I do agree with @mfanyafujo
    Sounds like there are some issues, but before finding a new place, try talking it over with the instructor. Find out what they expect their members to do/learn and see if it is meshing with what you want to learn, and what people are actually learning. Sometimes schools have periods of transition or struggles, but sometimes the instructor just doesn't know what they are doing.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are being melodramatic at all. I personally don't have the time or money to waste on a place that is not a good fit for me. Right now I am driving 23 miles to a dojo, rather than working out at the one a couple blocks from me, for similar reasons.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that, for me, smaller gyms tend to have more dedicated and regular attendees. More first name-basis, more camaraderie, and more personal attention from the trainers.

All my training is one-on-one at a very small gym, but there are always other guys there working on something else. A group of us get together for sparring once a week and we fight the same people, and guys from other gyms come every now and then to mix it up. There are people from all walks of life, but this seems to bring us together in a way that would probably not happen without this bond.

Just my experience. Good luck!
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Im going to keep going for a while anyway... Once my fitness is up I might try the muay thai club in a town bit further away.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    if you aren't sparring/fighting/rolling all you're doing is excercise. Find a Muay Thai gym.