How long did it take you to feel better?

Options
Arthemise1
Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
I've been on a calorie-restricted diet for a few months and have been losing slowly. I tried to keep my carbs down, but three days ago I decided to give LCHF a try. I'm still watching my calories because I'm paranoid -- it's hard to break the habits of a lifetime. Still, it's fairly easy to keep the calories down and still feel satisfied. I set my goal for carbs at around 50.

My question is: how long until I feel strong and healthy again? I feel dizzy and have a slight headache, and today about an hour after exercising, I bent down and when I got up, my vision blackened a bit. I've read this is supposed to go away as my body adjusts, but I'm just curious about how long it has taken people to get back to where they feel normal. I'm somewhat worried that I'll pass out while jogging.

On the up side, I've lost 5 pounds (mostly water weight I'm guessing). :)

Replies

• mvasallo
    Options
    It took me about a week before the headaches, cravings & irritaibility subsided. It'll be overt before you know it. I've even had a horrible week of nothing but carbs and then went back to watching my carbs & didn't suffer that hellish first week.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you are hypoglycemic. it can take up to 3 weeks for you to get out of the withdrawl stage.

if you get worse you may have type 1 diabetes. if it gets worse, get yourself to the ER asap
  • Arthemise1
    Options
    I've been tested for diabetes several times, thankfully, and I definitely don't have type 1 diabetes. Type 2 runs in my family, but I got tested two years ago for that. Diabetes would be like my worst nightmare.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    The "carb flu" hit me on day 4 and I felt like crap for another 3 or 4 days. I stopped feeling miserable after that but really through it took me 2 or 3 more weeks before I started noticing that I felt BETTER than I could remember having felt in a long time
  • Arthemise1
    Options
    I may up my carbs to 75 for now. I went to the park today with my son and had no energy to do anything. It's really bad. I think cold turkey may be too much for me.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Welcome to withdraw from bad food. This "flu" didn't impact me like it did others. That's mainly because I started IF before I started Keto. Either way, I noticed a significant improvement in the way I feel and my attitude after a couple of weeks. I feel better than I have ever had in my life. Make sure you're getting enough sodium. Yep. Salt. You need it. Salt isn't bad for you. You'll be losing lots of water and it's a good idea to get plenty of salt in your diet to help. Eating a low inflammatory diet, sodium isn't much of a factor in health, except when you have to little.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It hit me after about 4 days, took about 4 to feel better still have to have tons of water but I can't tell you the benefits, lost a ton of weight (18lbs in 3 weeks) loads of energy, I can sleep better and get up without the alarm, un heard of for me. Keep at it.
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    It hit me hard for a day or 2, once I drank a few powerade zero's most of the symptoms of keto flu went away though. Your potassium and sodium go real low in the beginning as you shed all that water weight so it helps.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    50 may not be low enough to get you through detox. Atkins Induction is 20. You also could have something sneaky holding you back (eg. some salad places put sugar in their tuna).
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough salt.