just wanted to say...

Options
flabulous4
flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
I ran my first half marathon, in Warrington, on 9 September...and I loved it!
It was a bit warm but I did it in 1 hour, 54 minutes, 46 seconds. I was aiming for anything under 2 hours so well pleased....and I have SO been bitten by the bug!
I've kind of lurked on this group but it has been really valuable - many thanks!

Replies

• montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first half! And what an awesome race time! :happy:
  • KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!

You did much better than I did - I did my 2nd half last Sunday but finished at 2:28.

What's your next goal?
  • flabulous4
    Options
    Thank you! I think I just want to do some more races - I'm thinking about another half in November - and then see what next year brings. I've only been running for a year so I'm still working out what I like. I didn't expect to enjoy the half as much as I did. I don't think I have a marathon in me though - fitting in the half marathon training was hard enough! Then again, who knows?
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Wow - good job and great time! I ran my first half the same day, but my time was 2:36 - had some cramping and had to take 2 pit stops (!!!). My next one is this Saturday - should be able to get a better time.
  • flabulous4
    Options
    Wow! Two halves in the same month? Respect! :love:
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    WOW! What a fantastic time, way to go!

Races are SOOO Adicting for sure! I have my next 1/2 on 10/27 and am really looking forward to it.

FYI, I am following Jeff Galloway's half-marathon training plan and his full marathon training plan is very similar, just longer long runs on the weekends. So I do 45 min runs 2x week and a long run on the weekend. I am going to start training for my first FULL marathon in December - the race is on 6/22/13 and I'm working and going to school FT :)

Some people wonder if they're getting in enough miles with his plan but it really works for me. I work on speed work during the 45 min runs and endurance on the weekends.
  • sissamae
    sissamae Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing your first half!! Your time was amazing! My goal is to finish in less than 2:30:00!!
  • HBinOC
    HBinOC Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first race ever and it was a 10 miler- I clocked in at 2:20 but I ran it with my son (16) and did not want to leave him behind- I know I probably could of come in around 2 hours if I ran it solo and now I am itchin to prove it.
    There is another 10 mile race at the end of the month-- I am so tempted to sign up and I am too addicted to running!!!
  • kelsnsher
    Options
    Congrats on your race!! Thats awesome!! I'm still in the building up endurance part of my training so I'm still down in the lower mile races. I've gotten my 5k tie down to where I want it and now I'm going for a 5mile road race next weekend! I know 5 miles is a far cry from 13.1 but I'm making progress and hearing stories like yours just motivates me to keep going! SO thank you!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    You're my twin. I ran my second half on Saturday, and finished 2:23. It's going to take a while to get under 2!
    Congratulations!!

You did much better than I did - I did my 2nd half last Sunday but finished at 2:28.

What's your next goal?
  • flabulous4
    Options
    I've gotten my 5k tie down to where I want it and now I'm going for a 5mile road race next weekend!

Good stuff! I found running longer helped with speed too - I ran my first 5K race last October and worked up from there - 2 10Ks, a 10-mile, assortment of 5Ks in the middle and then the half!
  • bussaca
    bussaca Posts: 22
    Options
    Running my first half in 3 weeks - I will probably be around 2:30...
  • scottishlass
    scottishlass Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half in November,in 2.36, which i was well pleased with considering i'm 3stone heavier than most of the other women running. Doing my second at the edinburgh rock n roll in april
  • hula808
    hula808 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Well done! My first half marathon is still a dream away...maybe by the end of the year, but I had to comment beause that is a wicked awesome time! Well done! Very inspirational!
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an awesome time!!! I hope to come in under 2 also for my next one in 5 weeks. My first was 2.28 but that was this same race last year and I have improved alot since then. ....At least I hope I have!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Well done! Congratulations!!!